Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Characters you'd like to see in Independent comics.

It seems that more and more Independent comic companies are looking for license properties to pick up and hope they'll be the next big thing. Often companies look to popular cartoons from the 80s (Transformers, He-Man, Gi-Joe, TMNT) or even TV shows. So I was wondering one potential properties or characters you'd like to see in comics. Here's a few that came to mind for me:

1. Snake Plissken- Marvel had a one-shot in 1997 but otherwise he's been untouched. Since Booms doing "Big Trouble in Little China" maybe they should try the "Escape From New York/La" francise.

2. Space Ghost- DC had a mini-series in 2004 that I thought was really good and there would be plenty of potential material as he's a space character.

3. Thundarr the Barbarian- old cartoon character from the early 80's. Kinda of like Conan but in a post-apcolyptic earth and with a light saber.
    Last edited by Dallas; 06-11-2014 at 04:19 PM.
    Pull List: Star Trek/Planet of the Apes, Ragnarok, Escape from New York, Rai and Transformers Drift.

Snake Plissken's not a bad idea actually...

To be honest I'm not huge on licensed properties, I'd prefer if indies churned out more ~actually new~ stories. That being said however, I read Adventure Time and Avatar: Last Airbender which are both based on popular cartoons. So here's an idea for a licensed comic: Freakazoid!
    That series was hilarious, even though it only lasted for 2 seasons. Pretty clever in its humour and it had a penchant for shattering the fourth wall. The premise would carry over very well too; a dude goes nuts after downloading the Internet to his brain on accident. Nowadays with so much more nonsense online like those Lolcats, weird memes and piles of strange Tumblr blogs it would even make MORE sense that you'd go crazy if you downloaded the entire web.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

I would like to see DC or anyone else revive the Thundercats.
    Planet of the Apes based on the new movies.
    Pirates of Dark Water, IDW would do this well.

Blows my mind nobodies doing James Bond or Indiana Jones comics. What with all the comics out there that are heavily influenced by them.

I've never heard of Freakazoid or Pirates of Dark Water. I'm kind of surprised no one is doing Thundercats now that you mention it. I thought Boom would put out more Planet of the Apes material with the new movie coming out but so far nothing. I wonder if they even still have the license. As far as James Bond is concerned, I just finished reading Darkhorse's "Agent of the Empire" which was very James Bondish. Maybe comic companies figure they can write James Bond characters and not have to pay any license fees by not calling it James Bond?
    Pull List: Star Trek/Planet of the Apes, Ragnarok, Escape from New York, Rai and Transformers Drift.

Isnt Freakazoid basically Madman?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Blows my mind nobodies doing James Bond or Indiana Jones comics. What with all the comics out there that are heavily influenced by them.
    Well Titan is reprinting Bond stories in omnibus format so there's at least that.
    BB

This was a Pirate fantasy series done by Hanna-Barbara in the early 90's, I also believe this cartoon influence Disney' s Pirates of the Caribbean. Marvel did a mini-series for it back then, but no one has done anything with this property since.

Thundercats, they could pick up the story where the new cartoon left off when it got cancelled or go with the originals
    Magnum p.i. Get jay faerber to write it
    Silverhawks
    The vega brothers prequel idea tarantino had for Vic vega and Vincent vega from reservoir dogs and pulp fiction

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Snake Plissken did have a four issue mini from CrossGen in 2003. Probably most notable for having Plisskin picked up by a fisherman named "Captain Ron".

BANNED

more adaptions of Philip K. Dick novels.

Philip K. Dick's novels would be great. I'd love to see "Screamers" done in comics. A Prequel would be fantastic.

I wonder if Fringe would make a good comic?
    Last edited by Dallas; 06-13-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Silverhawks would be great though I would really like it to be reinvented and with the same quality and maturity as Defenders of the Earth was reinvented as Kings Watch.

I would also love to see The Mightiest Heroes, has to be a quirky comedy series, if only Pendleton Ward & Jhonen Vasquez had any interest in the characters.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd love to see some Sam Spade comics. Either an adaptation of THE MALTESE FALCON, or original stuff.