Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I do not like that new heroes "parasites" on the fame and fans' love for the old heroes. They do not give - just robbed. Name, costume, comic book title. I do not want to read about a girl dressed as Wolverine, which believes that now her name is Wolverine, in the book titled Wolverine. I want to read about the real Wolverine.
    So nothing is allowed to change ever? If you were running Marvel, they'd be in DC or Image's position.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

What position that then?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    What position that then?
    The position that nothing changes. That legacy characters get thrown out like the baby with the bathwater as soon as the "originals" --- more accurately, the Silver Age versions --- are cleared to come back, and then one quick reboot pretty much wipes the slate clean of all the "clutter" produced by legacy characters. Or to put it another way, every generation eventually needs its own heroes, and if the younger generations keep being robbed of or denied the chance to have their own heroes and by proxy their own voices represented, then we of course get the disinvestment and disengagement from comics that we've been getting over the last decade or so.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Wolverine is a title, nothing more.
    Spider-man is also is a title, nothing more. Why is not there a girl-clone "Spider-Man" in the main Spider-man comics?

... I hope I did not give a new idea for chefs Marvel ...
    Last edited by Jumbo; 11-12-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I like the added diversity, but I'm wondering how long they will last
    The obvious answer is not long. They have 3 things against them:

1- If the book doesn't sell, the return of the original is an obvious tactic to increase sales;
    2- Even if the book sells, editorial might want the original back to line-up with the movies;
    3- Even if the books sells and there's no movies, a writer and/or editor with Geoff Johns' syndrome will show up eventually.

Invincible Member

Spider-man is also is a title, nothing more. Why is not there a girl-clone "Spider-Man" in the main Spider-man comics?

Because there's at least two characters that fit the bill but they're already starring in their own titles right now

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Jumbo, I hear you. Felt the same way. But Marvel is committed to this legacy gig. The mantle of the Wolverine, the shield, and the hammer all represent something greater than the folks who wield them. Only a chosen few get to carry on that legacy. I deem the chosen worthy. I've read the stories. I actually enjoyed them. So I'll ride the legacy wave until Marvel shifts into another direction. Good characterization and sound storytelling is all I ask--and decent artwork of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Its not like she's running around calling herself logan or james howlett. Wolverine is a title, nothing more. That would be like saying that you don't expect barack Obama or bush as president because Washington was "the original".
    Well, not really. Spider-Man or Wolverine were never titles. Colonel, president, headmaster, count are titles.

"Wolverine" is more like an stage name, the same way Farrokh Bulsara was known as Freddy Mercury, Neta-Lee Hershlag is known as Natalie Portman, Margarita Carmen Cansino was known as Rita Hayworth, Kalpen Modi is known as Kal Penn... Or maybe a nickname, like Muhammad Ali's nickname "Louisville Lip", or Rocky Marciano's nickname "Brockton Bomber", or Paavo Nurmi's "The Flying Finn".

If some new actress called herself Rita Hayworth and tried to imitate Rita's appearance and style, some people would see it as an homage to the original one, but many more would give her hell over it. Same if some new boxer tried to imitate Muhammad Ali's style and had people call him "Louisville Lip"; Muhammad Ali's fans would shred him to tiny bits...

I understand why Marvel does the whole Legacy heroes thing, I know it really helps boost the sales, but the fans' reaction is human and understable.

I like Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk. I have warmed to Carol Denvers/Captain Marvel, to Miles Morales/Spider-Man and to Sam Wilson/Captain America. I think I will even like Kid Nova, now that he's in the ANAD Avengers. However, I like them for who they are, and not because they are using some other hero's name.

I don't consider Kamala Khan and Sam Wilson "substitutes", since they have different powersets than their predecessors, and are effectively completely different characters, that just happen so use some other hero's name as part of their background. On the other hand, I think the conception of gender-swapped versions of classic heroes like She-Hulk, the original Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman or the new Thor is quite lazy, even if I have come to like the characters themselves.

Also, I would like it if new, original concepts were given an opportunity. I would like to have Hummingbird and Sungirl and Silhouette (yes, I know she isn't really new) and Finesse and Molly Hayes and Karolina Dean back. I would like Hisako/Armor and Pixie for be in the forefront instead of being wallpaper for the classic X-Men. And I think it sad many of those will be kept shelved forever because they don't bear a classic name.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    About the only one who's likely going to stick for a while is Kamala Khan, mainly because her predecessor Carol Danvers is still very much active and there's no way Marvel's letting Carol regress back to Ms. Marvel after all the effort to market her as Captain Marvel.
    Yeah, pretty much. Also, the fact that Mar-vell died of cancer means Marvel can't bring him back for reals, so he won't take his codename back from Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post

If some new actress called herself Rita Hayworth and tried to imitate Rita's appearance and style, some people would see it as an homage to the original one, but many more would give her hell over it. Same if some new boxer tried to imitate Muhammad Ali's style and had people call him "Louisville Lip"; Muhammad Ali's fans would shred him to tiny bits...
    This. I feel very angry and used. I liked Laura as the X-23, but now I do not want to see.
    Maybe these new comics are very good. But I will not spend money.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    About the only one who's likely going to stick for a while is Kamala Khan, mainly because her predecessor Carol Danvers is still very much active and there's no way Marvel's letting Carol regress back to Ms. Marvel after all the effort to market her as Captain Marvel.
    If Marvel is absolutely committed to the legacy concept, it'll be a long protracted campaign in the dead of winter. But an ample supply of good stories will spur Marvel on to victory. Will they hemorrhage greenbacks in the process? Not if they produce quality stories, merchandise, films, animated shows and such. Remember the show Hill Street Blues? NOBODY watched it at first. NBC stuck to their guns and stuck with Hill Street. The rest is history. Do I think Marvel will do the same? No. The quick fix. Instant gratification. The continual dumbing down of every medium for a quick buck is the way to go. Yeah. I'm a cynical bastard when it's all said and done.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 11-12-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    What position that then?
    Not as much market share.

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I don't think of them all the same personally. For instance I think X-23 as Wolverine is a natural, organic story and she would've been the logical choice for a new Wolverine regardless of a diversity push. Others I like less.
    I don't get that at all. It's like, despite already having an identity of my own I'll just pick up a dead person's uniform and become them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Well, not really. Spider-Man or Wolverine were never titles. Colonel, president, headmaster, count are titles.

"Wolverine" is more like an stage name, the same way Farrokh Bulsara was known as Freddy Mercury, Neta-Lee Hershlag is known as Natalie Portman, Margarita Carmen Cansino was known as Rita Hayworth, Kalpen Modi is known as Kal Penn... Or maybe a nickname, like Muhammad Ali's nickname "Louisville Lip", or Rocky Marciano's nickname "Brockton Bomber", or Paavo Nurmi's "The Flying Finn".

I understand why Marvel does the whole Legacy heroes thing, I know it really helps boost the sales, but the fans' reaction is human and understable.

I like Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk. I have warmed to Carol Denvers/Captain Marvel, to Miles Morales/Spider-Man and to Sam Wilson/Captain America. I think I will even like Kid Nova, now that he's in the ANAD Avengers. However, I like them for who they are, and not because they are using some other hero's name.

I don't consider Kamala Khan and Sam Wilson "substitutes", since they have different powersets than their predecessors, and are effectively completely different characters, that just happen so use some other hero's name as part of their background. On the other hand, I think the conception of gender-swapped versions of classic heroes like She-Hulk, the original Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman or the new Thor is quite lazy, even if I have come to like the characters themselves.

Also, I would like it if new, original concepts were given an opportunity. I would like to have Hummingbird and Sungirl and Silhouette (yes, I know she isn't really new) and Finesse and Molly Hayes and Karolina Dean back. I would like Hisako/Armor and Pixie for be in the forefront instead of being wallpaper for the classic X-Men. And I think it sad many of those will be kept shelved forever because they don't bear a classic name.
    I would say Wolverine is more of a codename than a stage name. And considering she's a clone, this probably isn't a fair example.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I like the added diversity, but I'm wondering how long they will last.
    Well, since, primarily, we're talking about Sam Wilson and Jane Foster, who've been around for decades... they're gonna last.

Will they last as Thor or Cap? No. But those aren't their whole character, that's not all they have going for them. Marvel will move them forwards (or forbackwards) as it likes but they're unlikely to be killed off and never show up again.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)