Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Interesting. The blurb made it sound almost as if they were embracing an Elric/Moorcock vibe with the series, which- given the Ebony Blade- would have been an intriguing new choice of direction for the Black Knight, who has always had this kind of "square peg/round hole" fit into the mainstream MU.

The preview pages, though; I'm not sure. I still like the concept, and the artwork is better than I've seen in a lot of the new #1s (which all seem to have this, "throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks" feel to me), but the writing is kind of eh, and I haven't ever been a big fan of Frank Tieri's work.

On the fence.

So he's falling victim to the curse of his sword again? I was interested in this series until I heard they were doing this storyline over again.

Spectacular Member

I'm so excited for this series. Dane was the first comic character I followed from when I first encountered him in the Harras/Epting Avengers.
    Excited for a sword and sorcery take as well, despite those not usually being the aspects of the character I'm fond of (probably cos 'my' version came with a laser sword, rather than the ebony blade)
    I'm on Twitter! @alex_jamieson

Spectacular Member

Love the Black Knight and will be picking this up next week. Preview looks good.
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

I actually like the art. so yah, I'll pick this up in a trade, or wait for a large hardcover.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Even if this is a re-telling of some of BK lore, I'm not so overly familiar with BK that I'm affected.
    I think I may indeed pick up issue #1.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Issue #1 was very good, I thought. Yes, there were about two pages of Black Knight 101, but it was fine. I'll read it again before I say anything more. I think this is going to be a lot of fun. Dane does seem edgier.

I am not a huge fan of the art, but overall I am just happy they are printing a Black Knight comic! And the story was pretty great! Based on the writing alone, I think this will be one of my favorite titles from ANAD Marvel.

BANNED

I liked it. So much I'm considering adding it to my pull-list in fact. I'm just hoping Tierrri manages to evoke the "Game of Thrones meets Breaking Bad" feel he advertised.

Spectacular Member

I read the issue twice and really liked it a lot. The writing has me interested and Dame certainly doesn't seem like his old self from the days I started reading him in the 90's, bit this looks to be entertaining.

I don't get all the hate for the art. There were some spots where improvement could be, bit I think Pizzari is gonna get better as the series progresses. His depictions of Weird World are pretty breathtaking. At times they seem straight out of a fairytale nightmare and there's one scene that made me think of Dagobah.

Looking forward to more.
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

Loved it. One of the better pulls I've grabbed from ANAD Marvel.

Definitely looking forward to more. I really dig the world building Tieri has done with Weirdworld. As someone who didn't read the initial mini, it was a great catchup as to what Weirdworld was as well as a brief but informative history on the Black Knights that didn't interfere or feel out of place with the narrative. Great stuff!
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Posted this in a previous thread, but I thought I do so again:

This title was certainly my favorite out of everything I've read so far and I dare say is one of my favorite series under the "All-New, All-Different" banner. Here are my thoughts on the issue:

- As I was reading it, phrases like "complete" and "old school" came to mind. The issue perfectly set up Dane's origins, his new status quo, and his setting. Indeed, Weirdworld looks to be a perfect fit for Dane. While a valued member of groups like the Avengers, Heroes for Hire, and MI: 13, his medieval background meshes so well with the sword and sorcery of Weirdworld. Whereas on Earth Dane was in the background, here he gets the spotlight and it shows. We see him be the leader, command troops, and show fighting prowess (all of which he has done in the past, mind you). I had nearly forgotten that the Ebony Blade could absorb and redirect energy!

- While the action was great, the personal moments were exceptional as well. Dane collecting remnants of Earth and recording his thoughts shows that he's homesick. The fact that he's questioning his motives is intriguing. Are his violent actions because of him or the Ebony Blade? Is his forthcoming conflict with the Uncanny Avengers due to the blade's influence? That's a nice story point right there.

- I found the art to be quite enjoyable, especially in certain areas. I can see how some people might find the fight scenes to have been a little hard to make out, but their rough quality suited the violence of the scene. However, the illustrations of the landscape of Weirdworld were amazing! I spent just a couple of moments admiring the scene where Dane finds the WWII U-boat since it's really gorgeous.

All I can say is that I'm definitely checking out the second issue. I'm thinking this could be the "diamond in the rough" series of "All-New, All-Different" Marvel.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

BANNED

read this but it's not for me. i like Black Knight and had they gone the bad ass drifter route, with better art, then maybe I would have kept the book. instead we get Dane already established as a king or whatever complete with the most cliched and boring support characters ever and only one scene where he is actually bad ass (when he executes the previous king) = dropped.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I enjoyed the issue and will be adding this to my 'hold file' at my LCS. I found there to be two bad ass Dane scenes. The one where he wields the ebony blade to hold off the fire rock lord w/the guy christened Shield as well as the beheading flashback. With the mystery of why a portal seems to drop off things(like a maelstrom in time, sucking things to WW) at this location makes the possibilities endless of who could show up, from when? It does beg how the Uncanny Avengers are just going to show up and why.

I found this #1 much more intriguing than Dr.Strange, Hercules, Spiderman 2099 or Spiderwoman thus far.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 11-19-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

I just went ahead and added it to my pull-list. The set-up is intriguing, and I'm really excited to see what Tieri has in store. Honestly, I'm really liking this "revival" of older Marvel characters. Herc, Dane, Strange, Surfer, all great characters who've gone without a solo for far too long.