Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    But, wouldn't she learn about the lynching mobs on TV?
    Well, given that mutants are not considered people anyways........................................... .

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Jeen's Ethics courses must really be helping. She's obviously not even prying into a newspaper or Google!
    Good point... how come Jeen hasn't noticed the global panic over the M-pox?
    But, wouldn't she learn about the lynching mobs on TV?
    Obviously she know what is common knowledge. But then what? Mutants are dying because of a mysterous illness and what can she do about it? That's more Hank's field. You don't fight an illness with TK or TP. In fact, you don't need to be a mutant to try find a cure: you need to have the right knowledge and skills (which, I will point out, may be gained by studying...)

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Obviously she know what is common knowledge. But then what? Mutants are dying because of a mysterous illness and what can she do about it? That's more Hank's field. You don't fight an illness with TK or TP. In fact, you don't need to be a mutant to try find a cure: you need to have the right knowledge and skills (which, I will point out, may be gained by studying...)
    What I meant is, when she reads Storm's mind it seems as if she weren't aware of what is happening.

It's selfish to do that in the midst of an M-Day extinction level threat.
    Again, what can she do about it? How can she be of any meaningfull help? It's not like if there was an ennemy to fight (yet)

Storm was well within her rights to come to Jeen and ask her to return
    Let's be clear: Storm has absolutly no right and Jeen, or the O5, don't own her anything. She may kindly ask for help because she know where to find her but that's about it. Storm, and the JGS, don't represent any legal authority that would let them conscript other mutants to help them.

since she's completelya healthy and fully powered to help the sick and powerless and dying.
    And again, what can Jeen do about it? They need medical care, not fighters.

The buttering her up with 616 Jean-based flattery fell flat for me. Jeen has done nothing 'heart of the X-Men'-worthy yet.
    Agree, the authors are doing a total mess out of this: They handle the O5, and especialy Jeen, like if they were their adult-self back in younger bodies and having lost memories. Not like if they are really time displaced and never experienced anything of what their adult-self did.

Which give Storm even less right over Jeen: She may as well go and fetch any random mutants. They wouldn't know her more or own her anything more than Jeen and the O5.

As for Iceman's blatant displays of power? Jeen's the one in the closet this time. Bobby's just giving her the same forced outing she gave him. Twice. Only his outing of her actually makes sense.
    You did that to me so I will do the same to you? That's your reasoning? Nice...

Anyway, it's beside the point because you obviously didn't understood my point: The problem is not that it would reveal Jeen as being a mutant. It only would reveal that Bobby is one (And, obviously from the 2nd issue, Jeen doesn't fear to reveal that she is a mutant when needed). The problem is that 1) It's ridiculous to block a whole street with a wall of ice when humans are already afraid enough of mutants. That's just asking for trouble. 2) It's very rude to physically block someone path and prevent her/him to leave.

What I meant is, when she reads Storm's mind it seems as if she weren't aware of what is happening.
    Yeah, she obviously only knew what was common knowledge. What you could see on TV or read in newspaper.

As for Iceman's blatant displays of power? Jeen's the one in the closet this time. Bobby's just giving her the same forced outing she gave him. Twice. Only his outing of her actually makes sense.
    Oh, and please think one minute about what you are saying: Jeen didn't "outed" Bobby and certainly not in public. But you say that Bobby should, on purpose, screw Jeen's chance at university? And even risk her life and put her in a position of being lynched by humans? How very nice of him! Because, if the goal really was about revealing Jeen as being a mutant, like you imply, then that would be the result.

But, as Jeen said, she was not objecting to be seen with mutants. She isn't ashamed of being one and she wasn't hidding. Maybe she isn't screaming on every roof that she is a mutant but that's not hidding. In the same way not advertising your sexual preference to everyone doesn't mean that you are hidding it. That's called private life and common sense.

Well, she knows, what she doesnt know is bad the entire thing is nowdays.

In Jeen's defense: it's really no different than the wars in the Middle East. Yea. We all know that there are people dying and being blown up and mistreated out there. But it's not like they show that on TV. I get occasional updates from the Wall Street Journal saying when an airstrike has happened, but that's the extent of my knowledge. So I don't think it requires much imagination that until she saw actual visuals from the traumatic events it was pretty easy to not feel much empathy or sympathy.

Also: she doesn't owe anyone shit. Anyone who thinks she's not allowed to live her own life as she pleases needs to either get off their high horse of best have a one way ticket to some 3rd world country where they will spend the rest of their days non-stop trying to make other people's lives better at the expense of their own. That's not how the world works. And it's not how expect rational fictional characters to act either.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    In Jeen's defense: it's really no different than the wars in the Middle East. Yea. We all know that there are people dying and being blown up and mistreated out there. But it's not like they show that on TV. I get occasional updates from the Wall Street Journal saying when an airstrike has happened, but that's the extent of my knowledge. So I don't think it requires much imagination that until she saw actual visuals from the traumatic events it was pretty easy to not feel much empathy or sympathy.

Also: she doesn't owe anyone shit. Anyone who thinks she's not allowed to live her own life as she pleases needs to either get off their high horse of best have a one way ticket to some 3rd world country where they will spend the rest of their days non-stop trying to make other people's lives better at the expense of their own. That's not how the world works. And it's not how expect rational fictional characters to act either.
    We aren't talking about normal people here. I thought we all Marvel readers knew by now that with great power comes great responsibility.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cless View Post
    The big diference is that no one in the books has called her out on her bs at least. If Emma did the same crap Jeen has been doing everyone would lynch and crucify her. If Jeen does it then it's ok, she is the heart of the X-men.

Have we been reading the same X-books? And for clarification I think that "heart of the X-men" line had more to do with adult Jean than her younger self!!

I think Bendis in his usual Bendis style wanted to do some things so un-Jean like to differentiate, between the younger version and the adult version he may have gone too far left without adding much of the things that makes Jean well Jean however many of the complains posters have, reek of hypocrisy. Now that she's under a new writer I think we may start to get a young Jean Grey that could possibly grow into the one everyone remembers!

Quote Originally Posted by Cless View Post
    We aren't talking about normal people here. I thought we all Marvel readers knew by now that with great power comes great responsibility.
    And as all Marvel readers know, those are just pretty words in that universe; Spider-man sold his marriage to a demon because he couldnt deal with the death of his Aunt May.

After reading Extraordinary #2 I'm really starting to wonder if Lemire has read any x-men books. Seriously this like a feast of retcons.
    Last edited by lucius121; 11-18-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    After reading Extraordinary #2 I'm really starting to wonder if Lemire has read any x-men books. Seriously this like a feast of retcons.
    He is "twisting" things "a little", like Bendis, to fit his needs. In the preview, Jeen says she knew Hank since she was a child. But she doesn't know him since longer than Scott... And how much time passed anyway? When the O5 came to the present, they knew each others since a little more than 1 year. And they are in the present since about 2 years now? (after all the time jump)

Amazing Member

I don't want an old jean grey, she was bland...i prefer this one

Well this issue made a laugh.

- Jean helps freaky looking guy and says she knows a place where mutants can be safe
    - guy says that he is not a mutant but Inhuman
    - guy runs away screaming "Don't touch me!"

Well played Lemire. Haha
    "This is me being reasonable"