Page 266 of 440 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266267268269270276316366 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 6587

JFK went against his advisors during the Missile Crisis and did not use Military force. He used a blockade and diplomacy, possibly averting a nuclear exchange. I doubt the Gulf of Tonken BS would have happened under Kennedy. Of course we will never know.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. was groomed by his daddy to become the President of the United States. But if Joe had lived, could he have won the election? Would he have been a better president than John?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Kennedy_Jr.

Joseph Kennedy Senior dreamed that one of his sons would someday occupy the White House. The dream was achieved but at a great cost. He outlived three sons and one daughter whom he may have disowned for marrying an English Protestant. He also lived to learn that his 4th son's political fortunes may have been threatened by a scandal regarding the reckless car accident that killed a passenger. I believe he died peacefully in his sleep with his wealth being intact and bequeathed to his wife and surviving children. But having lost four of his children and being uncertain of his family's political future, I don't know if he died a happy man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Kennedy_Sr.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    JFK went against his advisors during the Missile Crisis and did not use Military force. He used a blockade and diplomacy
    Imposing sanctions is an act of diplomacy. Imposing a blockade is an act of military force.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I know the media likes to treat them as American royalty. The Kennedys love to be seen as a closely-knit family of pious and devoted Catholics. However some Kennedys are divorced, including Senator Ted Kennedy, Joseph Patrick Kennedy II (RFK's son), Robert Francis Kennedy Jr., Courtney Kennedy Hill, Kerry Kennedy Cuomo, and Maria Shriver .
    Ted was in talks with the Vatican to have his first marriage annulled so he could remarry and not go against Catholic doctrine. The annulment was granted.

Almost a third of Catholic marriages end in divorce. I don't think this is the negative it once was.
    My mother's family's parish refused to perform the ceremony for her and my father as he was a protestant. This was late 1950s in central Massachusetts. My grandmother never attended Sunday mass there again and only stepped inside the buildling for weddings and funerals. This was a truly bad-ass move that was unlike anything I had ever seen from her. BTW, both my grandmother and her sister has pictures of JFK on the wall years after his death. #catholicin1960smassachusetts.

Even the third number is statistically significantly different than the over number of one half for all American weddings. There is still an effect of the doctrine among worshippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. was groomed by his daddy to become the President of the United States. But if Joe had lived, could he have won the election? Would he have been a better president than John?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Kennedy_Jr.

Joseph Kennedy Senior dreamed that one of his sons would someday occupy the White House. The dream was achieved but at a great cost. He outlived three sons and one daughter whom he may have disowned for marrying an English Protestant. He also lived to learn that his 4th son's political fortunes may have been threatened by a scandal regarding the reckless car accident that killed a passenger. I believe he died peacefully in his sleep with his wealth being intact and bequeathed to his wife and surviving children. But having lost four of his children and being uncertain of his family's political future, I don't know if he died a happy man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Kennedy_Sr.
    A JFK urban myth has him reading a "*******m" for his father stating: "Dear Jack, Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I;ll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide".

Not sure what would have happened if JFK lived. We most likely would not have gotten as involved in Vietnam as we did. On the other hand we might not have gotten Medicare, the Great Society and the Civil Rights Act. If Bobby had lived, he would have beaten Nixon and gotten us out of Vietnam and not escalated as Nixon did. Hard to argue he would not have been a better President than Nixon all around.
    A junior HS (8th grade) History class I had went into detail about the possibility of a Kennedy dynasty with Jack, Bobby, and Ted being POTUS through from 1961-1985.

Astonishing Member

The biggest thing hampering the inclusion of new characters to legacies is the presence of the old characters. Tellingly, despite how many Robins and Batgirls there've been, Bruce Wayne has almost been Batman from beginning till end. Because everything in the world is centered around him, it's hard to shift to other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The biggest thing hampering the inclusion of new characters to legacies is the presence of the old characters. Tellingly, despite how many Robins and Batgirls there've been, Bruce Wayne has almost been Batman from beginning till end. Because everything in the world is centered around him, it's hard to shift to other characters.
    I dont blame the comic company for this though. They have no reason to make changes.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-17-2021 at 09:33 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I fail to see controversy here.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I fail to see controversy here.
    I would be perfectly ok if they retired the older characters. That's my controversial statement.

I would be perfectly ok if they retired the older characters. That's my controversial statement.
    Wait, the controversy detector is beeping...

But seriously the originals being available pretty much confirms the "they'll be back" belief. Looking at DC's Silver Age revival of names with new identities, powers, and costumes worked so well because the Golden Age originals were off the table and no longer in the toy box.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

Looking at DC's Silver Age revival of names with new identities, powers, and costumes worked so well because the Golden Age originals were off the table and no longer in the toy box.
    Another reason it worked so well is that comics were read largely by children, so there was constantly a large turn-over in readership within just a few years. A big part of the audience reading the stories of the Silver Age superheroes didn't even know that they had Golden Age predecessors. Now that comics readership is almost entirely middle-aged fanboys, the audience will squawk if "their" heroes are taken away from them. Clinging to the same heroes that they have been reading about for the last 20 years is how they try to cling to their youth.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Another reason it worked so well is that comics were read largely by children, so there was constantly a large turn-over in readership within just a few years. A big part of the audience reading the stories of the Silver Age superheroes didn't even know that they had Golden Age predecessors. Now that comics readership is almost entirely middle-aged fanboys, the audience will squawk if "their" heroes are taken away from them. Clinging to the same heroes that they have been reading about for the last 20 years is how they try to cling to their youth.
    Agreed. The way the audience worked at the time, the five-ish year gap between the JSA's Last Stand and Barry Flash's debut was enough for a large chunk of the readership to turn over.

A JFK urban myth has him reading a "*******m" for his father stating: "Dear Jack, Don't buy a single vote more than is necessary. I;ll be damned if I'm going to pay for a landslide".
    Joe Kennedy Sr. funded all of his son's congressional, senatorial and presidential campaigns with a lot of money. He also pulled a lot of strings and called in several favors to make sure JFK wins every race he was in. He even pulled a dirty tactic like getting a man named Joseph Russo to run in the Democratic Primary for the Congressional race in Jack's district in order to reduce the other Joseph Russo's chances of beating JFK.

https://www.politico.com/gallery/201...88-002246.html

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/pol...eri-other-jfk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electo...ohn_F._Kennedy

When Joseph Kennedy was US ambassador to England, he carried a defeatist attitude and publicly stated " "Democracy is finished in England. It may be here [in the United States]." Hardly the words of a patriotic American.

When the Luftwaffe bombed London, Kennedy fled to the English countryside rather than staying in London. The British Royal family, the British government officials and other ambassadors remained in the city despite the heavy bombing. Randolph Churchill (Winston Churchill's son) who noted Ambassador Kennedy's flight from London, remarked “I always thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy.”

It's hard to believe that Joseph Sr. is the father of three brave men who were serving their country in WWII. Come to think of it, I wonder if Joe Jr., Jack, Bobby and Ted were the only Kennedys to serve their country? Have any of the three surviving Kennedy brothers' children joined the military and served their country?

The patriarch Joe Sr. also didn't serve his country. Neither did his father, Patrick J. Kennedy.

Astonishing Member

Making anti-heroes and "flawed" heroes more feels like an excuse as to why writers can't write nice, healthy relationships.