Page 56 of 440 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    The controversy I see playing out in the news is the whole sexual harassment furor. Yes, women and men both should report real sexual crimes. But things like "Senator Franken grabbed my butt six years ago" plays to the idea that women are these paragons of virtue that one dare not defile on any level. Some perspective is needed, at the very least.
    Sure but that's completely different thing. Finding someone sexual attractive vs harassment isn't even in the same ballpark.

And the idea that women are paragons. or virtue is again a different matter...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Sure but that's completely different thing. Finding someone sexual attractive vs harassment isn't even in the same ballpark.

And the idea that women are paragons. or virtue is again a different matter...
    I'm just saying that the harassment meme has given rise to a lot of attitudes about women's empowerment, as it's measured against "the old boys' club," and some of those attitudes include the view of women as paragons of virtue in the evil "man's world."

Invincible Member

I'm just saying that the harassment meme has given rise to a lot of attitudes about women's empowerment, as it's measured against "the old boys' club," and some of those attitudes include the view of women as paragons of virtue in the evil "man's world."
    I dunno. I don't think that society as a whole think that women by nature are more virtuous than men. I think whats going on now is that some men who got away with abusing their power have been found out. I don't think that it's a "men are evil and women are good" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I dunno. I don't think that society as a whole think that women by nature are more virtuous than men. I think whats going on now is that some men who got away with abusing their power have been found out. I don't think that it's a "men are evil and women are good" thing.
    Depends on who you're listening to, but it still comes down to "agree to disagree"-- which is the nature of controversy, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Man, what a silly weapon. A light saber! Suppose the other guy brings a gun to the fight.
    Have you actually watched the films? In the hands of a Jedi Knight (or Sith Lord), the lightsabre wins every time.

Mighty Member

I like Godzilla's Revenge AKA Attack Of The Monsters.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Saga is totally overrated. I mean, it's ok and all. but i was mostly like meh.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Probably already mentioned, but I like the Netflix Marvel shows far more than I like the Marvel films. The films are fun lightweight action/comedies, but Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage feel like they were made for me. Okay, Iron Fist not so much, and I hate even thinking about the wasted opportunity of The Defenders. Hopefully the next season will be better.
    Yup, was brought up already lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The only problem I'm having with recent events is the idea by some that a charge of sexual harassment automatically means guilt. I'm sorry, but we all are capable of lying.
    As a woman i agree with this, I think situations like Harvey Winstein, and Bill Cosby (seriously **** this ass hole) are totally legit. Other stories i read about are REALLY dubious, and reeks of opportunism, or just bitter revenge..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Okay, I still ask, exaggerated how? Overrated how? Massively? How?
    Because there's a reason why Planters peanuts is a household name and Gourmanoff caviar isn't. Star Wars is like Planters peanuts. Despite all the publicity, marketing and hype over the years, at the end of the day, it's a just peanuts. You'll never convince peanut lovers of that reality though.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    As a woman i agree with this, I think situations like Harvey Winstein, and Bill Cosby (seriously **** this ass hole) are totally legit. Other stories i read about are REALLY dubious, and reeks of opportunism, or just bitter revenge..
    Each case needs to be evaluated on its own merits. If there's a lack of evidence and/or it smells, then I can't go along. It doesn't matter whether or not I like the person charged, either - fair is fair, IMO. I don't believe in joining the pitchfork brigade just because I don't like a person's politics, religion, movies, etc.

In the case of Cosby (whom I like as an entertainer), I gave him the benefit of the doubt until I couldn't any longer.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Saga is totally overrated. I mean, it's ok and all. but i was mostly like meh.
    It's easily one of my favourite comics coming out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The only problem I'm having with recent events is the idea by some that a charge of sexual harassment automatically means guilt. I'm sorry, but we all are capable of lying.
    That should seem like a reasonable statement to most people, but don't try it on John "She has no reason to lie" Oliver (re: his face-off with Dustin Hoffman). Oliver's inability to see outside the narrative is truly mind-boggling.

Here's a really controversial statement: Hayden Christopher was not that bad, given what he had to work with: the mewling, inconsistent character of Anakin Skywalker.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

That should seem like a reasonable statement to most people, but don't try it on John "She has no reason to lie" Oliver (re: his face-off with Dustin Hoffman). Oliver's inability to see outside the narrative is truly mind-boggling.
    While I personally don't think she's lying, there have been people who have lied without an obvious reason to in the past. We always have to remember that when an accusation is made.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?