Page 250 of 440 FirstFirst ... 150200240246247248249250251252253254260300350 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 6586

Most of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis do not seem smart enough to be threats.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Most of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis do not seem smart enough to be threats.
    I don't think threat level is result of intelligence. In fact the opposite might be true.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

What I'm really saying is those survival of the fittest people might be on to something. In that, if one of these people takes me out it is because I underestimated them and not because of how smart they were.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't think threat level is result of intelligence. In fact the opposite might be true.
    I'm sorry to say, Kirby101 is correct. Being smart, and being able to figure out how to really mess stuff up are - unfortunately - not correlated. Being smart helps, but is not necessary.

BANNED

Being smart usually makes you risk-averse, so simple things like physical assault or even shootings are probably going to come from less intelligent folk. Heat-of-the-moment types. But the revenge as a dish best served cold types are probably going to be smarter, and scarier for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Being smart, and being able to figure out how to really mess stuff up are - unfortunately - not correlated.
    They like to refer to this as the "street smarts vs. book smarts", so it's so many people glorifying these things that make people on the streets pick it up. Nature vs nurture, these old chestnuts.

Astonishing Member

I really hate how American media likes to keep villains past their expiration date.

Themed lunch boxes are always cooler than brown paper bags.

Themed lunch boxes are always cooler than brown paper bags.
    They may be cooler but in the small town I grew up in we knew who the fancy punks were, the ones who thought they were better then us with their GI joe Lunch Boxes while the rest of us had the brown bags.

Hey Hollywood take that crap somewhere else. We are a working class town!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

They like to refer to this as the "street smarts vs. book smarts", so it's so many people glorifying these things that make people on the streets pick it up. Nature vs nurture, these old chestnuts.
    Interesting, because I honestly never thought that's what "street smart" meant, in any practical sense. My impression was always that "street smart" meant a person who could navigate dangerous areas/people and remain safe or out of any kind of trouble, as opposed to someone who would be preyed on or otherwise run into some kind of trouble on the streets quickly.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

I think "street smarts" is used for people who might not be highly educated, but are very capable navigating the everyday problems of life. From avoiding danger to knowing how to get bargains. It is usually juxtaposed with "ivory tower" knowledge.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

edit: never mind
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 02-15-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Interesting, because I honestly never thought that's what "street smart" meant, in any practical sense. My impression was always that "street smart" meant a person who could navigate dangerous areas/people and remain safe
    Isn't this what I said?

It may have been what you meant, but it was not what you said, no.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Next time I'd ask just so you're sure.