Page 236 of 440 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286336 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 6587
    Invincible Member

One of these days we're going to have to have a conversation about comic book artists who try to do forced perspective, but their figures have thighs, yet no calves or feet...

Superheroes are often guilty of the problems as cops. Valorizing a superhero while demonising a character for being a cop is hypocrisy.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Superheroes are often guilty of the problems as cops. Valorizing a superhero while demonising a character for being a cop is hypocrisy.
    You can enjoy reading The Punisher and be against death penalty in real life. I know I am.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The things that happen to the people in the song Ironic by Alanis Morissette are not Ironic but rather just shitty luck.
    In the immortal words of weird al, ‘irony is not coincidence’
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Retired

Instead of being easier to find information on the internet, it seems like I now have a harder time using search engines to find the info that I want. You would think it would be the other way around. For instance, many years ago I made a reading list for myself of every Elongated Man appearance in chronological order and there was one site in particular that proved very useful in getting every single appearance no matter how minor. Now I find that that site no longer exists and when I try to find chronologies for other characters, I have to do most of the work myself--because there's no one site that has these comprehensive lists--maybe such sites do exist, but it's a lot harder to find them using search engines. I think this is because search engines have been co-opted by commercial interests that drive their site up to the top of a list and push away the sites that you actually want to find. I have to be more and more creative with my search terms to get to the thing that I actually want to get to.

We should never take down statues or try to ban flags. They are pieces of a past who did happen and trying to forget the past is the worst thing a people can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    We should never take down statues or try to ban flags. They are pieces of a past who did happen and trying to forget the past is the worst thing a people can do.
    Flags and statues are not history books. If you want to keep people from forgetting the past, you're not going to do that by glorifying it which is what Confederate state and flags do.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-03-2020 at 11:49 PM.

BANNED

I'd say the people who the statues and flags we're not talking about represent actually did one of the worst things a people can do, and fought to keep doing it. I'd also say there's a difference between having something at a museum and having it in a town square or flying from poles on government buildings. With Confederate or Nazi flags, even being flown/displayed by individuals knowing the pain it causes given what they represent we should heavily regulate. Not ban, but if a school/business/etc. says they're not allowed on the premises that should be their right.

Statues are not about remembering history, but glorifying it - even the ones that aren't controversial. This is especially relevant when dealing with Confederate monuments, since the vast majority of them were put up for the purpose of rewriting history. And intimidation.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Mighty Member

Pigeons use statues as toilets, so the statues are better off in museums

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Depends entirely on the statues and flags and where they are. If freedom means anything, then removing these things should happen.

And no one is banning anything, so it doesn't matter.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

IMO, nothing should be destroyed as an act of vandalism, but the government has a perfect right to do what they want with a statue or flag they own (though I would prefer to keep them in a museum somewhere). If enough people disagree, then they can do something about it through legislation.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

Preserving Auschwitz in hopes of remembering what we shouldn't do is one thing. Statues to Confederate generals are something else, as is the purpose for which they were erected.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    IMO, nothing should be destroyed as an act of vandalism, but the government has a perfect right to do what they want with a statue or flag they own (though I would prefer to keep them in a museum somewhere). If enough people disagree, then they can do something about it through legislation.
    But I do have to agree with TDD here. Removing deliberately oppressive symbols is a responsibility of a civilized society not an angry mob. Of course, mobs wind up angry because civilized society becomes complacent, or even corrupt.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    But I do have to agree with TDD here. Removing deliberately oppressive symbols is a responsibility of a civilized society not an angry mob. Of course, mobs wind up angry because civilized society becomes complacent, or even corrupt.
    That's what peaceful protest is for. If MLK and others could help end segregation by using it, comparably small potatoes like a Confederate statue shouldn't be too hard in this century.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Although what monuments get to remain up in a city is the business of that city's residents and no one else. State level override laws encourage mob teardowns by eliminating legal avenues for removal.
    Dark does not mean deep.