Page 177 of 439 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227277 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 6582
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    That's Brave New World.

Though there are elements of 1984 in society, but they're more about us self-monitoring. Simple fact is, if the data exists, it's a problem.
    Arguably, the rise of social media and internet culture has made people a lot more cautious about opening up to others, since nobody wants to be the guy who was brought down by some random tweet from eight years ago or the subject of some fail meme. But I think that this is something that society will be able to work through over time, since more and more people are finally realizing that those carefully cultivated public identities that others put forth are almost always completely fake, and that showing your flaws and vulnerabilities isn't necessarily the worst thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I also took that to be more an internal psychological struggle than a physical one.
    Yeah - I almost said that too, but it's a bit ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Arguably, the rise of social media and internet culture has made people a lot more cautious about opening up to others, since nobody wants to be the guy who was brought down by some random tweet from eight years ago or the subject of some fail meme. But I think that this is something that society will be able to work through over time, since more and more people are finally realizing that those carefully cultivated public identities that others put forth are almost always completely fake, and that showing your flaws and vulnerabilities isn't necessarily the worst thing.
    Well, there is that.

But I was thinking more about the data collection and cultivation. Everything Facebook and Google and Amazon and Netflix, etc has about you. It exists. Hackers exist. A President who doesn't care about due process and who will also gladly accept hacked information from foreign powers exists (and we're kidding ourselves if we think it's peculiar to just Trump).

So, the mere existence of the data is the problem.

Everything Facebook and Google and Amazon and Netflix, etc has about you..
    So, the mere existence of the data is the problem.
    Peoples cell phones can record their whole life, It knows who your contacts are, what you say to them, where you go and who you go with. What you look up on the internet, your credit card and banking information and what you spend your money on. It has a microphone, 2 cameras, GPS and the ability to broadcast. Data collection made easy.

It does seem a bit Orwellian but its not the government but the corporations what are keeping tabs.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 06-20-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    It does seem a bit Orwellian but its not the government but the corporations what are keeping tabs.
    The government will get them if it wants them.

Green Day is a punk band.

Chicken Parmigiana is basically the Big Mac of Italian food (which does not prevent me from loving it).
    Look at it this way...

It is fine dining when you put it next to a Parmo.

I do not think sex sells.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I do not think sex sells.
    The research agrees with you on this.

Or at least it shows there's no evidence sex sells outside of products related to it, like lingerie.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Jokes about Godwin's Law aside, despite how monstrous a leader Hitler was, I hate how constantly compare any politician/regime/administration that they don't like to him. Not only does it cheapen the memory of the true horror of what he did, doing so ignores other horrid regimes like those of Pol Pot, Mao, or the myriad different paramilitary groups of varying ideologies who have committed countless atrocities over the last few decades. Also, on some level, the real dictatorial threat these days are often not those of megalomaniacal lunatics who are loud and proud about their autocratic ways, but sneakier autocrats who often hide their true nature beneath a thin but somewhat sturdy veneer of simply preserving law and order, 'traditional values,' the reclamation of land formerly held at some point in time, and/or national sovereignty, often using tactics like open but rigged elections to create the illusion of real democracy, going after political foes by having them charged with seemingly mundane crimes like slander/libel or tax evasion that still have the effect of silencing and often tarnishing the reputation of major opponents of the regime, and using divide and conquer strategies to keep their various opponents more preoccupied with attacking each other instead of attacking the regime. I'm talking about guys like Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Xi Jinping, and Lukashenko, devious politicians who know when to bring down the hammer on opposition and when to appear to ease off, keeping both their internal and external foes in a constant state of confusion and thus often not able to mount a sustained resistance that can keep average people engaged over in an effective, protracted opposition movement.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Boisterously Confused

The research agrees with you on this.

Or at least it shows there's no evidence sex sells outside of products related to it, like lingerie.
    But the research does admit that sex pulls attention, which is all that ad reps ask.

BANNED

But the research does admit that sex pulls attention, which is all that ad reps ask.
    And that more attractive people tend to live a more fortunate life across many areas of their lives.

But the research does admit that sex pulls attention,
    So do explosions.

So do explosions.
    Yes, but special effects cost more.
    Dark does not mean deep.

My point being that I think you would get through to people far more often if you appealed to something other than what you think they would like.