Page 317 of 440 FirstFirst ... 217267307313314315316317318319320321327367417 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,755 of 6586
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    From the book with the same author as The Longest Day. Cornelius Ryan. I prefer The Longest Day, found the ultimate failure in Bridge made it a frustrating movie (even though that was reality) and I felt the Star stunt casting more distracting than in The Longest Day.
    How about "The Big Red One" with Mark Hamill and Lee Marvin? Or "Force Ten From Navarrone", Starring Robert Shaw, Harrison Ford, Edward Fox, Carl Weathers, Barbara Bach, Richard Kiel, (Jaws from the Bond movies), and Franco Nero. Don't forget "Where Eagles Dare", with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton among others.

And of course there are large elements of Star Wars Lucas presumably stole from "The Guns of Navarone".
    Last edited by achilles; 11-25-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Can you give some examples?
    Ironically the most popular ones seem to be guilty of it most, like Hellboy and Spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Ironically the most popular ones seem to be guilty of it most, like Hellboy and Spawn.
    How is Hellboy like Manga? Do you mean because it was a long form story? That is one of the reasons I kept reading it after I gave up on traditional superheroes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    How about "The Big Red One" with Mark Hamill and Lee Marvin? Or "Force Ten From Navarrone", Starring Robert Shaw, Harrison Ford, Edward Fox, Carl Weathers, Barbara Bach, Richard Kiel, (Jaws from the Bond movies), and Franco Nero. Don't forget "Where Eagles Dare", with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton among others.

And of course there are large elements of Star Wars Lucas presumably stole from "The Guns of Navarone".
    I liked The Big Red One. Force Ten, meh, The original Guns is much better. Recently rewatched Where Eagles Dare, thoroughly enjoyed it. While Guns is based on a Alistar MacLean novel, he wrote Eagles as an original screenplay.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I liked The Big Red One. Force Ten, meh, The original Guns is much better.
    The sequel did have the luscious Barbara Bach in it, but the former had some hotties itself plus was the far superior film.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Invincible Member

Hmm...it's been a long time since I've flipped through Spawn, but it's not the first to come to mind when I think of Japanese influenced. And Hellboy even less so.

I thought you were going to say something about these comics that look like action movie pitches. A lot of them seem to revolve around some master assassin with a katana or something.

No.....I'm talking about stupid and needlessly over sexualized.

Where was Hellboy over sexualized?

Hollywood should give actors a chance to break out of a mold rather than just typecasting them all the time.

Hollywood should give actors a chance to break out of a mold rather than just typecasting them all the time.
    Even if "Hollywood should give actors a chance to break out of a mold rather than just typecasting them", would the PAYING FANS accept them in those different roles?

Invincible Member

Well, being overly sexualized is hardly unique to Japan or Japanese comics.

They've since dialed it back some, but if you want stupid and needlessly over sexualized comics, check out Marvel/DC comics from about 10 years ago.
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-25-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Invincible Member

Where was Hellboy over sexualized?
    Yeah, even the Hellboy stuff by Adam Hughes is modest and tasteful.
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-25-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Indy comics have some good stories and titles. But there are so many more that kind of suck. But people wont admit that because they have to prove how much of a comic book fan boy they are by reading something other then the big 2.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Indy comics have some good stories and titles. But there are so many more that kind of suck. But people wont admit that because they have to prove how much of a comic book fan boy they are by reading something other then the big 2.
    I think it's more just insecure fanboys that are like that . . .

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Even if "Hollywood should give actors a chance to break out of a mold rather than just typecasting them", would the PAYING FANS accept them in those different roles?
    It's possible and has happened in the past. The first great example of this was Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., who was originally a very popular light comedic actor and later became an even more popular action (the very first) star. The problem is is it worth the gamble on a huge budget film. A movie company can go out of business if the gamble fails.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?