Page 318 of 439 FirstFirst ... 218268308314315316317318319320321322328368418 ... LastLast
Results 4,756 to 4,770 of 6579

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, being overly sexualized is hardly unique to Japan or Japanese comics.
    Japan is the only one that does it with every single piece of media, so yeah it actually is pretty unique to them

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Japan is the only one that does it with every single piece of media, so yeah it actually is pretty unique to them
    Far from true. I've read manga with none of that.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I think most claims of "cultural appropriation" are silly. I like all sorts of foods, clothes, holidays....which are from other ethnic groups. I don't do so out of any disrespect, like nearly 100% of people who also don't----we all simply think these are wonderful ideas and want part of them. No one for example disses the Japanese for cultural appropriation....and they do it brilliantly.

My point is there's a difference between malice and admiration, and some folks who object to anyone using anything from their culture.

Something I’m surprised is actually controversial is how much to pay comic book artists. They’re kind of the crux of the whole thing, but it seems as though they don’t even get royalties and a very low base pay.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I think most claims of "cultural appropriation" are silly. I like all sorts of foods, clothes, holidays....which are from other ethnic groups. I don't do so out of any disrespect, like nearly 100% of people who also don't----we all simply think these are wonderful ideas and want part of them. No one for example disses the Japanese for cultural appropriation....and they do it brilliantly.

My point is there's a difference between malice and admiration, and some folks who object to anyone using anything from their culture.
    Hey, as long as whichever people circling the wagons against their culture being "appropriated" don't get pissy when the sentiment is returned right back at them, I see no reason for harshness.

Ultimate Member

Oh, c'mon...you know that's not true.

Having said that, there was a time when I was trying get into anime and because I wasn't familiar with genre, I clicked onto something thinking it was going to be a wholesome Sailor Moon thing and it turned out to be panty shot show.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Japanese culture is way to comfortable sexualizing minors. And the incessant presence of sexualized minors in their media is one of manga/ Anime’s biggest problems.

No.....I'm talking about stupid and needlessly over sexualized.
    Spawn might have had an issue with sexualization in the 90s but I have seen very little, if any sexualization from Hellboy. And that goes for the other indies I've read.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Japanese culture is way to comfortable sexualizing minors. And the incessant presence of sexualized minors in their media is one of manga/ Anime’s biggest problems.
    I know the age of consent laws work differently in Japan. I don't know all the details but I think depending on where you go it's as low as 13 in some places. I'm aware that in the American version of Gunsmith Cats they changed the dialogue so that one of the main characters who was originally a teen is said to be an adult. Pretty much because her boyfriend is an adult man.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Oh, c'mon...you know that's not true.
    No…it’s irrevocably true. One of the biggest problems with stuff coming out of Japan is a good story that always gets dragged down by its nonsense. Literally sometimes characters will have their entire personality trait be how much of a pervert they are. It’s like if every character was Quagmire but nobody ever calls them out on their crap.

No…it’s irrevocably true. One of the biggest problems with stuff coming out of Japan is a good story that always gets dragged down by its nonsense. Literally sometimes characters will have their entire personality trait be how much of a pervert they are. It’s like if every character was Quagmire but nobody ever calls them out on their crap.
    There was no oversexualization in this manga.

or in others I have read.

And still have not addressed the falsehood of too much oversexualization in all indies. I read mostly indies, and compared to how women are portrayed in the big two...you are barking up the wrong tree.

Your naming Hellboy was patently false.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-26-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ive not see a lot of overly sexual things in the indy's I have read. More manga yes, but not really the indys. I couldnt see any over sexualization in Hellboy that I have read.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

I'm not going to deny that such characters exist in anime and manga. They have their problematic material but we've got ours. I'm not sure how much we're allowed to talk about it but this very website was rebooted several years ago in part due to controversy about oversexualized characters in American mainstream comics. And we could be here all day and name Japanese media that's devoid of oversexualized content.
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-26-2021 at 01:53 PM.

BANNED

Our culture is seen as prudish about sexuality in many ways by other nations, but we're also a lot more comfortable with violence (especially gun violence) than others. It's why you can have hundreds of gun deaths and get a PG-13 rating, but show a nipple or say the "F" word too many times and you're looking at an R.

Also while I can agree some independent comics lean on fan service/objectification of women (sex sells, after all) it's usually a crutch to overcome a lack of talent or just to get someone to pick up a book and glance beyond the cover. However, I'd say you picked two of the least sexualized indy comics in my lifetime in Hellboy and Spawn. Spawn you may make an argument on the occasional female character and perhaps Angela when she was part of the lore (it was the '90s and "Bad Girls" were in), but compared to WildC.A.T.S., Youngblood, or especially Savage Dragon it was probably the least T&A/objectifying comic of the early Image run.

I'll agree with the manga/anime portraying underage women as looking 8-12 with double-D cup sizes being at best problematic. It's not super common, but it's common enough to be a problem.

Extraordinary Member

I am told my my big brother that old fashioned TV dinners that came wrapped in foil and had to be heated in the oven were far superior to the ones we have today, despite taking a long time, is this true? And if so, how?