Page 345 of 440 FirstFirst ... 245295335341342343344345346347348349355395 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,175 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Im not saying they havnt sold a lot. Im not debating they are the biggest band. I am just saying all of those fans got it wrong and I am right. I mean come on every random guy on the internet with an option is right. At least that is what this guy on Reddit said!

And I listen to HypnoDancer every day so I know good music!
    You win this time blob.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You win this time blob.
    Now that I think about it I dont think I did. If I am right because I am a random guy on the internet then you also must be right because you are a random guy on the internet!

I am fine with calling this a draw because my head hurts just a little bit.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    . . . That is really great your mom is that mobile in her 80's
    Actually, she turned 91 back in June.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, she turned 91 back in June.
    That is even better!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They were popular back in the day, but they were never critic's darlings.
    I've seen them referred to as the "world's most notorious rock band".

Extraordinary Member

I don't want a Highlander remake with Cavil or anyone else; the original was perfect. Nor do I want to see Indiana Jones And The Wheelchair Of Doom; watching Harrison Ford break his hip has limited appeal, IMO. And I'd rather my memories be unsullied by Old Indy shouting at those kids to get off his lawn. Time to face it, Indy's time has come and gone; best to just rewatch the classic movies, (there are only three, nasty rumors to the contrary not withstanding).

Astonishing Member

That's just not true. They [the Beatles] weren't the first big British Invasion band.
    Are you sure about that? I was in high school then, and they were the first British band that I ever heard of. Surely they started the "invasion" (followed by the Dave Clark Five, then the Rolling Stones, then...).

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Also, I think it was "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". Got that wrong earlier.
    Now that I am at my computer and not my phone.....

Another battle that I wish would get a movie is the Battle of Plattsburgh - another of those where the odds were against one side, but they won anyways. That one also has some moments that make great Hollywood sequences that are backed up by the historical record.

The British flotilla commander was killed when a cannon was directly hit, knocking it into the air and landing directly on top of him (I think he shoved one person out of the way before his death). The impact stopped his pocket watch at the time of his death.

The overall British commander was confident enough in his victory (only outnumbering the land forces 10 to 1 or so) that at a home he stopped at for dinner on the way down he stated that if her prediction he would instead lose was correct, not only would he leave his purse at her door, he would instruct his officers to do the same. And he did.

And unlike most sailing ship fights in Hollywood where somehow the ships somehow stay alongside each other even if travelling in opposite directions (with sails full of wind I might add) this one actually had the defenders at anchor (with a pre-planned masterstroke based on it - remember kids, lake sailing is much different than open ocean stuff).
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Now that I am at my computer and not my phone.....
    I remember the days when a "phone" was a "telephone", and you used it to call and talk to people.
    Hell, I remember when telephones had lines that connected to wires in buildings. I even remember when a "dial" was a thing on the telephone that you had to rotate to select a number, not just push some wimpy little button!

I remember the days when a "phone" was a "telephone", and you used it to call and talk to people.
    Hell, I remember when telephones had lines that connected to wires in buildings. I even remember when a "dial" was a thing on the telephone that you had to rotate to select a number, not just push some wimpy little button!
    Hey, I'm 31 and I still remember that! And when you missed a call, you didn't even know who it was that called you, you just had to hope they would call back.

When it comes to technology, I am actually like an old, grumpy person, because I always want to keep the previous technology. I still use CDs and DVDs and would probably still use videotapes if my VCR still worked. I also refuse to get a smartphone, even though it is almost a necessity at this point. Even my mother has one and doesn't understand why I don't want it, but I'm like, I only want my phone to make phonecalls and send texts, I don't need a miniature computer.

And for advertising, some businesses would give away little metal rods with a ball on the end to use when working the dial. If you had a job where you called a lot of people those little things came in pretty handy.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I remember the revolutionary breakthrough...The Push Button Phone.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

I remember the revolutionary breakthrough...The Push Button Phone.
    In the small town where I grew up, we didn't have even dial phones until I was a teenager. Before that, we had to pick up the handset and wait for the operator to ask "Number, please?", and then you would tell her the phone number you wanted to call.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    And for advertising, some businesses would give away little metal rods with a ball on the end to use when working the dial. If you had a job where you called a lot of people those little things came in pretty handy.
    Looking on image search, they also sometimes came in plastic.
    (We had one that was metal.)

And you could also buy a sterling silver one from Tiffany & Co.?

Incredible Member

Crypto, SPACs, and NFTs will eventually settle into (as they currently are) being just another revenue stream for rich white people or bored get-rich-quick investors like the Robin Hood/Gamestop situation. It's nothing that will ever be mainstream because they're nice to have, not need to have. They're not really solving an existing problem. Tech bros are just willing these into being.