Page 304 of 439 FirstFirst ... 204254294300301302303304305306307308314354404 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 6582

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, there are wildly different kinds of Chinese food; that's really just a vast oversimplification of the whole cuisine. You might like some kinds and hate others.
    Defining any food by nationally is an oversimplification when you think about it. Even American food.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Well, there are wildly different kinds of Chinese food; that's really just a vast oversimplification of the whole cuisine. You might like some kinds and hate others.
    I was thinking the stuff I get at those take out joints or the all you can eat places.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Defining any food by nationally is an oversimplification when you think about it. Even American food.
    Give it a rest will you? Everybody knows that when you talk about "Chinese food" in English, it means the typical fare you can get at greasy spoons that comes in those little paper takeout boxes - egg foo young, General Tso's chicken, galaxies of prawns, and all that jazz. It probably doesn't refer to a bowl of Uyghur laghman with a side of Tibetan yak butter tea, even though these days you can find basically whatever regional cuisine you can think of in any major city. And it's pretty easy to understand why somebody wouldn't like that stuff, since it exists to be cheap, easy to make, and filling, which is fine if you're some coolie working long days building the railroads or whatever, but honestly not all that appetizing if you have the means to pick from other choices.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 09-26-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I remember liking some of his old stand up and he's done really good dramatic work, but yeah...I never liked Mork and Mindy, even as a kid.
    His stand up he was very loud and over the top. His dramatic work is amazing. I really loved One Hour Photo. That is a great movie. And the one where he strings a video of people live's by watching their memories after they have died. I cant remember the name of it though.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Give it a rest will you? Everybody knows that when you talk about "Chinese food" in English, it means the typical fare you can get at greasy spoons that comes in those little paper takeout boxes - egg foo young, General Tso's chicken, galaxies of prawns, and all that jazz. It probably doesn't refer to a bowl of Uyghur laghman with a side of Tibetan yak butter tea, even though these days you can find basically whatever regional cuisine you can think of in any major city. And it's pretty easy to understand why somebody wouldn't like that stuff, since it exists to be cheap, easy to make, and filling, which is fine if you're some coolie working long days building the railroads or whatever, but honestly not all that appetizing if you have the means to pick from other choices.
    So much bullshit, so much effort to paint Americans as anti-Asian bigots. No I live in NYC and when we talk about Chinese food we look at Hunan, Szechuan, Shanghai, Hong Kong...We do not go to the greasy spoons with Chop Suey.
    You give it a rest.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So much bullshit, so much effort to paint Americans as anti-Asian bigots. No I live in NYC and when we talk about Chinese food we look at Hunan, Szechuan, Shanghai, Hong Kong...We do not go to the greasy spoons with Chop Suey.
    You give it a rest.
    It's also that way on the other coast. Sure we have Panda Express and that lot, but we have a lot of restaurants providing all the different authentic cuisines of China, not that stuff; and I must say, most of them are pretty good.

It's also that way on the other coast. Sure we have Panda Express and that lot, but we have a lot of restaurants providing all the different authentic cuisines of China, not that stuff; and I must say, most of them are pretty good.
    Best Chinese food I have had in America was in San Franscisco. Best I ever had was in Guangzhou.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You give it a rest.
    The history of anti-Asian bigotry in America is not up for dispute, but that's not even what I was talking about. It's more of the preemptive scolding over comments that haven't even been made that grinds my gears, if you're constantly trying to demonstrate to others how culturally sensitive and open minded you are, then that's a telltale sign that you probably aren't. We're all ignorant and biased to some degree, and that's okay, better to just be open and honest about your mistakes rather than constantly insisting that all of your views line up exactly at all times with what's socially acceptable.

To demonstrate, I'll do one - me personally, I don't really like Chinese food at all and vastly prefer the standard repertoire of American dishes instead. While I have been in denial about this in the past, a lot of this probably originated from a desire to reject the culture I was born into and better assimilate into the mainstream, and though I'm a lot more cognizant about that process now and how troublesome that kind of attitude can be, my tastes are kind of just what they are now, and I would still much rather just have a nice steak than anything you could order at a Chinese restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Yea. The Tom Cruise Mummy sucks the big one!
    Comparatively, yes.

Ultimate Member

Freak Brothers TV show coming soon

https://variety.com/2021/digital/new...te-1235092458/

To tell the truth, having them being fish out of water in modern times sounds like a pretty meh idea. They should have just mad it a period piece. A lot of those strips still could work as satire/analysis of a certain time and place. The show might still be good but I'm dreading the idea of a bunch of jokes about Fat Freddy not knowing how to use a cell phone or something.

Extraordinary Member

Here’s one:

- People complaining about remakes, reboots, or nostalgia are “bandwagoners” for a cheap and most often inaccurate narrative about bad films and TV show whether they be professional critics, YouTube companies, or jaded influencers.

People have been exploiting nostalgia for genuine artistic creativity for over 2,000 years: at minimum, we should be including stuff like The Aeneid as an example of a nostalgia sequel, and Aristophanes was creating reboots and remakes with his plays hundreds of years before that. King Arthur and Robin Hood saw multiple updates and reiterations well before Hollywood was a thing (hell, I’d argue Arthur was already seeing reboots and remakes before the Third Freakin’ Crusade.)

Modern franchise reboots and remakes aren’t the problem - in many ways, they’re still very much a valid tactic that a smart studio will use intelligently to create worthwhile artistic films.

What failed reboots, remakes, and sequels show is where the studio, producers, directors, writers, etc., have screwed up, and sometimes even by specifically showing they didn’t understand what made the first story work at all.

Superman Returns wasn’t screwed over by being a sequel to the Reeves films - it was screwed over because Brian Singer didn’t get why people liked Superman beyond the shallow level.

That Taron Edgerton Robin Hood movie wasn’t screwed over by being a remake of Robin Hood material - it was screwed over by spending too much money trying to be John Wick.

The Star Wars Sequel Trilogy wasn’t undone by the nostalgia that JJ Abrams tried to use - it was undone because LFL fucked up handling both the new and the old characters and plotlines, especially when they let Rian Johnson show how little narrative understanding he had of the stories in TLJ.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Now that about a year has passed, "Holidate" was an even worse idea than it sounded at first.

BANNED

I'd disagree to some extent. Clearly on some level studios aren't looking to make another Ghostbusters or Robin Hood because they feel there's another story that needs telling, they're doing it because it's a concept the audience is familiar with and that's an easier sell than a new franchise. If there's some nostalgia that will goose ticket sales then even better. At the end of the day, it's show business.

I don't think it should ever invalidate a movie from the get-go, they should be judged on their own merits even if we're cynical about the motivations of the people ponying up the cash to get it on the screen. I agree getting the core concept and appealing to that is the best way to succeed, or radically going in another direction and somehow pulling that off.

One example I like to give is that the Watchmen film visually looked pretty accurate to the book. Tonally it felt like someone who didn't speak the same language attempting to replicate the dialogue and storyline. It was weird to watch. The TV show on the other hand, was a completely different story but had the tone and feel of the books.

I'm not sure where that came from, but I agree that films should be judged by the individual person and not what some critic has to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I'm not sure where that came from, but I agree that films should be judged by the individual person and not what some critic has to say about it.
    I think critics are useful. Not to determine what you think about a picture, but to help if it is worth seeing. There are so many new movies streaming, it is helpful to see if most reviewers say it sucks big time that maybe it isn't worth your 2 hours. The critics shouldn't determine what you think about a movie after seeing it.