Page 87 of 440 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Claiming that something you disagree with politically or philosophically is not popular is not a great argument.

For example: "McDonald's is an evil corporation and their hamburgers don't sell!"
    Isn't the reason McDonald's and WalMart and other big companies are considered evil is because the do sell a lot of stuff? To the point where they supposedly drive out the competition.
    Never mind that Burger King, Jack in the Box, Target, and Macy's are doing just fine.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Has someone tried to seriously claim that McDonald's hamburgers don't sell, or is this a hyperbolic "example"?
    It's a hyperbolic example.

A real world example is that I've been going back and worth with someone over the new Star Wars movies being flops because nobody wants feminism or SJWs even though obviously these films have been financially successful.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Isn't the reason McDonald's and WalMart and other big companies are considered evil is because the do sell a lot of stuff? To the point where they supposedly drive out the competition.
    Never mind that Burger King, Jack in the Box, Target, and Macy's are doing just fine.
    I wasn't being literal with the McDonald's example.

BANNED

Jack in the Box is gross...

(controversial?)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but as British Invasion rock bands go, I've never seen or understood the appeal of Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin. They're far down my totem pole behind The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Queen and The Kinks.
    Huh, with the exception of Queen I kinda feel the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Jack in the Box is gross...

(controversial?)
    At least their food tastes like something. Eating McDonalds is like eating cardboard. But Carl's jr. is my go to fast food parlor. And if you want just a good, basic hamburger, In & Out.

Invincible Member

Jack in the Box hasn't been in my area for literally decades. I have completely forgotten how they taste.

It's been awhile since I had Checkers, but Checkers is decent.

BANNED

At least their food tastes like something. Eating McDonalds is like eating cardboard. But Carl's jr. is my go to fast food parlor. And if you want just a good, basic hamburger, In & Out.
    Yeah, I wasn't making a comparison to McDonald's; it's pretty gross, too. LOL

Best "fast food" hamburgers around here are from Backyard Burger. Back home, it was a small chain called Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Are Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or even Queen 'British Invasion' bands though? I always associate the earlier bands of that decade, the likes of The Beatles, The Kinks, The Animals etc, to be the main vanguard of that scene. In fact, so does Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Invasion

There were numerous bands that followed in their wake, including Floyd and Zeppelin, and conquered the US. The actual British Invasion scene was rather brief though, 1964-1966 maybe?

Of course, I don't agree that the likes of The Beatles or The Kinks can touch the likes of Zeppelin. Not a chance. Even though they were all great bands. I've been listening to quite a lot of the old Kinks albums lately. Ray Davies' lyrics from that period are sensational.
    Thinking about that...

Didn't Led Zeppelin form as some sort of "New Yardbirds" sort of thing? If that was the case, it might put them into a sort of grey area.

The Yardbirds always felt sort of "British Invasion", to me.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    I wish the US helped countries like Colombia and Peru with their economy and reducing the cultivation of drugs even more, since both places are where the most drugs that arrive to U.S come from, something like what they did in the 90s when thanks to the american collaboration the Colombians were able to get rid of Pablo Escobar, after that all the other colombian cartel lost their power.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the US through the CIA was a participant in the drug trade. Why would they undermine their own business by helping out the very countries who were hurt by it?

BANNED

The United States needs to help its own economy. Starting with the problem of homelessness.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

No. I am saying the Hillary voters didn't refuse to support Obama. While a lot of the Sanders voters refused to support Hillary.
    Apparently the PUMAs, Gloria Steinem, Geraldine Ferarro, and others didn't refuse to support Obama.

Not to mention that one racist ad her campaign ran. The DNC was behind Clinton in 2008 but the fact of the matter is the rank and file Democratic supporters wanted Obama. It also helps that the financial donors switched to Obama to the point that he had raised the most money out of any candidate to that point despite not being well known at first.

Another unpopular opinion: The Democratic Party and the DNC are to blame for their loss in 2016. Until parts of that party come to terms with that instead of scapegoating they will continue to take L after L after L.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The United States needs to help its own economy. Starting with the problem of homelessness.
    During the Great Depression the WPA (Works Project Adminstration) was created to give the unemployed jobs. There are concrete sidewalks they laid that are still around where I live.
    With the bad shape the infra-structure is in, roads, bridges, sewers, bringing the WPA back would be a great way to solve both problems.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Thinking about that...

Didn't Led Zeppelin form as some sort of "New Yardbirds" sort of thing? If that was the case, it might put them into a sort of grey area.

The Yardbirds always felt sort of "British Invasion", to me.
    Zeppelin did indeed call themselves 'The New Yardbirds' briefly in 1968, not long after forming.

It's a good job that they changed their name though. The only link from the old band was Jimmy Page, and he was far from an original member. Zeppelin were a much more adventurous band musically also. Any connection to the Yardbirds name would have become increasingly inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the US through the CIA was a participant in the drug trade. Why would they undermine their own business by helping out the very countries who were hurt by it?
    Well the U.S did helped the country to fight against the cartels and the guerrillas after Pablo Escobar died with equipment and training, making Colombia safer which also allow farmers to grow more products and gave leverage to the country so they could sign a Free Trade Agreement with the U.S.