Page 208 of 439 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218258308 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 6583

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Apparently, since they attack me every chance they get. When I'm in the same room as them, they sense my presence and will radiate their noxious fumes to climb down my throat and choke the life out of me. The one good thing about being in isolation, no bananas. But they're out there, plotting, and some day, mark my words, they will be the end of me.
    My question is what did you do to piss off the bananas? They are the most gentle of all fruits. Mine helps me do the dishes.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I mean it WAS whitewashing. Whether she did a good or bad job is irrelevant to that fact. Her character was Japanese and was played by a white american. Then they tried to explain it and did a bad job that could have been alleviated by actually hiring an Asian actress.
    No one in Japan cared. Japanese audiences liked her. The director of the original anime liked her. The owner of the IP liked her.

It was a case of white Westerners getting offended on behalf of people who weren't offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    No one in Japan cared. Japanese audiences liked her. The director of the original anime liked her. The owner of the IP liked her.

It was a case of white Westerners getting offended on behalf of people who weren't offended.
    The Japanese didn't care because their used to it. Apathy doesnt make it right. And its people rightly getting offended at Hollywood fucking up again.

The Japanese didn't care because their used to it. Apathy doesnt make it right. And its people rightly getting offended at Hollywood fucking up again.
    It's not apathy. The director of the anime and owner of the IP are on record as being excited to have Johansson in the role. Audiences also reacted pro-actively positively. They actively liked her in the role.

It's not about being used to anything. A lot of the identity fights are products of western thought traditions and western history. To an extent, they simply don't apply universally. Japan has its own perspective on things that has nothing to do with our hang-ups.

(There's an argument to be made that a Western adaptation should take Western perspectives and sensitivities into account. And I did see some people who identified themselves ad Japanese-American say they were unhappy with it. (One of them called Japanese nationals white supremacists though, so I don't know how seriously I take them).)

It's not apathy. The director of the anime and owner of the IP are on record as being excited to have Johansson in the role. Audiences also reacted pro-actively positively. They actively liked her in the role.

It's not about being used to anything. A lot of the identity fights are products of western thought traditions and western history. To an extent, they simply don't apply universally. Japan has its own perspective on things that has nothing to do with our hang-ups.

(There's an argument to be made that a Western adaptation should take Western perspectives and sensitivities into account. And I did see some people who identified themselves ad Japanese-American say they were unhappy with it. (One of them called Japanese nationals white supremacists though, so I don't know how seriously I take them).)
    The publisher of the of the original manga that the anime was based on was also happy with Johansson and said she had the cyper-punk feel and they were excited that a Japanese anime propriety was being made into a western movie with such a big star.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Boisterously Confused

There are assholes to be found in every belief system, or political leaning. No cause or movement is free of them, no matter how righteous.

Ultimate Member

The Japanese don't have to care because they don't have issue making films or tv shows starring themselves.

As for Hollywood screwing up again-the gripe was based on the fact so many POC have been passed over for roles for being POC.

Since we never saw the casting calls-we don't know how many Asians bothered to try out. Because not all cast calls are equal. Two of Arjay Smith's famous roles were meant for white males and he was the only black person who tried out. Max on TNT Perception and Allen in Nickelodeon's Journey of Allen Strange.

We don't know how many battles the casting crew had with the finance folks over who they chose. Look at what Marlon Wayans had to do to get cast in Requiem for a Dream. The studio did not want him in that film.

I do have a question some of those folks upset over that casting where probably the same ones who went nuts of John Boyega in Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We don't know how many battles the casting crew had with the finance folks over who they chose. Look at what Marlon Wayans had to do to get cast in Requiem for a Dream. The studio did not want him in that film.
    Although to be fair, I'd probably have been very resistant to the idea of casting Marlon Wayans in anything that was supposed to be serious - as I still have trouble seeing him as something other than the poorly placed comic relief character.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Although to be fair, I'd probably have been very resistant to the idea of casting Marlon Wayans in anything that was supposed to be serious - as I still have trouble seeing him as something other than the poorly placed comic relief character.
    Marlon was really good in that movie. I'm actually really disappointed that he didn't take on more serious roles after that.

Invincible Member

Well, of course no one in Japan cared...they have the original and the source material. There's any number of foreign remakes and imitations of American movies that we don't care about. I don't hate the movie, but I sorta get some of the criticism. Let's say Japan does a remake of The Godfather. It's still the story of an Italian mob family set in New York, but now Sonny is played by an Asian actor. You can make it work story-wise, and Americans in America probably won't care, but if you're an american watching it in Japan, you might give it the side eye...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, of course no one in Japan cared...they have the original and the source material. There's any number of foreign remakes and imitations of American movies that we don't care about. I don't hate the movie, but I sorta get some of the criticism. Let's say Japan does a remake of The Godfather. It's still the story of an Italian mob family set in New York, but now Sonny is played by an Asian actor. You can make it work story-wise, and Americans in America probably won't care, but if you're an american watching it in Japan, you might give it the side eye...
    Although one difference is that Japan is a very homogenous country, whereas in the US we not only have loads of people from nearly every ethnic group on the planet, we also have a history of not wanting to give them representation. If we were missing either one of those two things it wouldn't get as much notice when it happens.
    Dark does not mean deep.

It's interesting how well comedians can sometimes pull off a dramatic role. Adam Sandlers recent performance in Uncut Gems for example. Many actors who began in comedy branched out into drama. Michael Keaton, Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx could be counted in that group.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It's interesting how well comedians can sometimes pull off a dramatic role. Adam Sandlers recent performance in Uncut Gems for example. Many actors who began in comedy branched out into drama. Michael Keaton, Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx could be counted in that group.

You forgot to add Robin Williams. He did a couple really good drama roles. One Hour Photo is my favorite of all of his movies comedy or drama.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Let's say Japan does a remake of The Godfather. It's still the story of an Italian mob family set in New York, but now Sonny is played by an Asian actor. You can make it work story-wise, and Americans in America probably won't care, but if you're an american watching it in Japan, you might give it the side eye...
    As a Sicilian, I say they can do whatever they want to that f#&$ing movie.

Thing's created enough white Riley Freemans already.

Ultimate Member

And that is what he said he was told by the casting department in his first audition.

So he went back a second time dressed up as a crackhead and I think (because the interview he talked about this was I want to say before Little Man or White Chicks in Complex magazine-I have the magazine in storage somewhere) he didn't bathe and slept on the floor before going back.

Of note if anyone watched the final season of The Wayans Brother-Marlon's character had to audition for a film and was stoned when he did it. I think that scene was the reason someone from that film wanted him.

He got the role. A role that got in way of another movie he was doing-Dungeon & Dragons. I want to say for Requiem for a Dream-a lot of the stuff you saw of him in that film was done in one take because he had to go finish Dungeon & Dragons.

And don't forget Marlon Wayans was suppose to Robin in Batman Returns & Forever. He was paid for both and there was a suit made for him.