Page 219 of 440 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229269319 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Nice work if you can find it. But, I kinda thought Taupin was worth more than that, not like $150 million is chump change.
    Well, all his money is from record sales and ASCASP fees. And investments. Elton is worth half a billion.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

When it comes to Star Wars, I think my most controversial opinion is that Darth Vader is actually the worst character of the lot. He's all style and no substance, and no attempt to give him more substance should have happened.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Start Wars I-III were great examples of storytelling, cinematography, and special effects.

Jar Jar Binks was a necessary character and a perfectly suitable replacement for C-3PO as comic relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Here's a controversial opinion: Nothing Star Wars related ever made has been worthy of the amount of conversation it has caused.

The one exception is the effects in the original three movies, because those were truly game changing and literally awesome.
    Hmmm, your only posting on this board because of Star Wars.

In the 1970's comics were a dying industry. It was very close to Marvel and probably DC as well as going kaput.

Then Marvel took a chance with the comic licensing on a yet unreleased movie called Star Wars. Marvel started publishing Star Wars comics and when Star Wars exploded it drove people to the comics and caused a massive sales boom in the industry as readers of Star Wars branched out to other comics. This is how many, including me, got their start in comics. Without Star Wars the comic industry dies in the late 70's.

Then think about how Star Wars changed the toy industry. I read somewhere recently that Star Wars actually has made more in toys than movies.

And how it changed the culture. Everything after Star Wars was trying to imitate Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

In the 1970's comics were a dying industry. It was very close to Marvel and probably DC as well as going kaput.

Then Marvel took a chance with the comic licensing on a yet unreleased movie called Star Wars. Marvel started publishing Star Wars comics and when Star Wars exploded it drove people to the comics and caused a massive sales boom in the industry as readers of Star Wars branched out to other comics. This is how many, including me, got their start in comics. Without Star Wars the comic industry dies in the late 70's.

Then think about how Star Wars changed the toy industry. I read somewhere recently that Star Wars actually has made more in toys than movies.

And how it changed the culture. Everything after Star Wars was trying to imitate Star Wars.
    Or specifically trying to not be seen as copying Star Wars. I've read that James Horner's instructions when composing for The Wrath of Khan included "Don't sound like anything John Williams does."
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Start Wars I-III were great examples of storytelling, cinematography, and special effects.

Jar Jar Binks was a necessary character and a perfectly suitable replacement for C-3PO as comic relief.
    Jar Jar is ultimately a harmless character in total; he was never more than a kid-appeal comic relief, and ultimately didn’t interfere with the actual drama of TPM’s plot, and is easily ignored when you’re too old for the character. He belongs to the same strain of characters that 3PO and the Ewoks do; complaining too much about them is more a sign of them interrupting what an older viewer is interested in than it is in actual quality writing for them, and pretending it’s a matter of quality is a mistake and a false narrative that Gen X embraced a bit too much.

One of the things that I think is an interesting comparison between the ST and PT is AOTC compared to TLJ: they’re both heavily poo-pooed middle entries, but have completely different reputations otherwise, and arguably have totally different strengths and weaknesses, and while AOTC’s reputation has solidified as probably the weakest of the PT, TLJ has just as many ferocious defenders as it does critics... for now.

I mean, AOTC has very real flaws in acting and directing... but unlike TLJ, I don’t think it’s functionality and competence in moving along the PT’s overall plotline can be denied - AOTC established a solid foundation for both ROTS (which has a deserved reputation for being quality), and for the Clone Wars and the numerous video games and other material. TOM actually holds up very well in hindsight, and ROTs hasn’t really had its reputation do anything but grow as time went on.

In contrast, TLJ killed what very real momentum TFA had given the series, and hamstrung pretty much everything - Rey was severely underdeveloped by the Luke story‘s focus, and severely handicapped by the fixation on Kylo at her expense, Kylo was horribly inadequate in the male lead role they now wanted him for and undercut as the main villain in spite of his promotion, Finn was wasted and stripped of his position, and for all the critical adulation, it didn’t do anything but reinforce the external conflict as a copy of the Original Trilogy.

All the acting in the world can’t save a story in a trilogy that basically burns all bridges and salts the earth behind it. TROS could never be more than a decent ending to a two-film story it would have had to do the heavy lifting in for the actual main characters, and to be honest, it’s problem and mistake was not rejecting TLJ, but no rejecting TLJ hard enough.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Edit: I get it. We owe everything to Star Wars. Eh.

Ultimate Member

Really?

How much stuff that we use today was inspired by Star Trek? Like the cell phone?

Oh what did Star Trek do that Star Wars COULDN'T?

Be DIVERSE.

Nobody was trying to destroy Star Trek when all those POC showed up as co-leads in movies and shows.
    Nobody was attacking actors for roles like they did John Boyega and Kelly.
    Nobody is yelling Star Trek is dead because LOL 3 leads were not white guys in 3 movies.

While those films might not have made a billion-the majority did decent.

Boisterously Confused

My controversial opinion: From the very first (Ep. IV), Star Wars provided us one of the earliest symptoms of the anti-intellectualism and Dunning-Kruger Syndrome that currently run riot in Western Culture, namely the way people embraced its message that your feelings are superior to science-powered technology.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    My controversial opinion: From the very first (Ep. IV), Star Wars provided us one of the earliest symptoms of the anti-intellectualism and Dunning-Kruger Syndrome that currently run riot in Western Culture, namely the way people embraced its message that your feelings are superior to science-powered technology.
    Yeah, but look what comes from science-powered technology: nukes, pollution, climate change...

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Yeah, but look what comes from science-powered technology: nukes, pollution, climate change...
    Vaccines, computers, mass education.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Vaccines, computers, mass education.
    YouTube Influencers, Candy Crush, Cartoon Avatars

Invincible Member

I don't think you can blame that on Star Wars...

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think you can blame that on Star Wars...
    I didn't. I said Star Wars provided us with one of the earliest symptoms.

I didn't. I said Star Wars provided us with one of the earliest symptoms.
    Early? Tocqueville talk about it in the 1830s!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!