Page 286 of 439 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290296336386 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 6582
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    But see its not. it is just a person going through what millions of others are going through but get tons of press because they can do a cart wheel. If they are brave then so are millions of others.
    Have you been getting nonstop press coverage for the last month with millions of dollars invested in making you the face of the Olympics and an entire nation's hopes and dreams riding on your performance? No? Then it's not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Have you been getting nonstop press coverage for the last month with millions of dollars invested in making you the face of the Olympics and an entire nation's hopes and dreams riding on your performance? No? Then it's not the same.
    Just because they have a gold metal and are on tv does not make their life any harder then anyone elses. They choose to play a spot or have a career that puts them in the public eye non stop.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

They have millions watching them. They have hopes and dreams of a nation. Do they have active voices in their head talking to them every day? Do some of these voices tell them to kill themselves or hurt others? Are they afraid to go into public because of the fear of having a melt down and flipping out and attacking someone and not know they are doing it? Do they have to question what memoires are real and which are false because the hallucinations and delusions are so bad they have to have friends and family members tell them what is real and what is not? Because I live that every day. my problems wont go away once I stop competing and get away from the spot light. And millions of others are the same way.

There are people who have it way worse then she does. But the public does not see that or care because these people are not famous. What she is going through is hard for her. I dont mean just her. I mean any celeb who is so traumatized at being in the spot light they have to go on tv every two days and do a Docuseries on Netflix about how being on camera and on tv ruined their life.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-29-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Just because they have a gold metal and are on tv does not make their life any harder then anyone elses. They choose to play a spot or have a career that puts them in the public eye non stop.
    Biles, like most athletes, did not come from a rich family or actively seek out celebrity status, and were it not for her unprecedented level of talent, would likely have remained anonymous to the public like most gymnasts. After all, Simone Biles might be a household name, but how many people could name the rest of the members of the US Olympic squad off the top of their heads? And the training regimen for gymnastics is sort of uniquely cruel and harsh, pushing girls into training from an extremely young age and regularly subjecting them to every kind of abuse imaginable. Indeed, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the entire sport of gymnastics was banking on Biles putting forward another stellar performance to make everyone forget about the Larry Nassar scandal that broke a few years back.

I dont want her to fail. I love watching her. I am just tired of Random celeb saying they have an issue then for like a couple weeks they are the face of the issue like they are the first to go through it in public or at all. And those of us who have dealt with crippling mental illness are told by people "Arnt you so glad that so and so is putting themselves out there to being light to your problem. You must be so thankful. I bet you are a fan of theirs for life now." I cant tell you how many people have said this to me in the last couple days. From family to people on my phone that I talk to from time to time but havnt heard from in 6 months. Then they drop out of the news and everyone ignores the issue all over again.

And 9 times out of ten these celebs talk about themselves with a little "Oh I know what they are dealing with sound bite before once again talking about how bad things are for them."
    And then there are those like Michael Phelps. But more to the point, her struggles do not minimize what you have to go through in any way. And the more high profile people speak out about mental illness, the better for everyone.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

They have millions watching them. They have hopes and dreams of a nation. Do they have active voices in their head talking to them every day? Do some of these voices tell them to kill themselves or hurt others? Are they afraid to go into public because of the fear of having a melt down and flipping out and attacking someone and not know they are doing it? Do they have to question what memoires are real and which are false because the hallucinations and delusions are so bad they have to have friends and family members tell them what is real and what is not? Because I live that every day. my problems wont go away once I stop competing and get away from the spot light. And millions of others are the same way.

There are people who have it way worse then she does. But the public does not see that or care because these people are not famous. What she is going through is hard for her. I dont mean just her. I mean any celeb who is so traumatized at being in the spot light they have to go on tv every two days and do a Docuseries on Netflix about how being on camera and on tv ruined their life.
    Society has a long history of only caring about issues once someone famous suffers from it. Not many people cared about conservatorship abuse before Britney Spears made it news, despite the potential of it ruining lives - for example, in many states a 3rd party can force people into them, with judgement rendered at a trial where the victim isn't even invited. And yes, victim is the best word I can come up with.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Biles, like most athletes, did not come from a rich family or actively seek out celebrity status, and were it not for her unprecedented level of talent, would likely have remained anonymous to the public like most gymnasts. After all, Simone Biles might be a household name, but how many people could name the rest of the members of the US Olympic squad off the top of their heads? And the training regimen for gymnastics is sort of uniquely cruel and harsh, pushing girls into training from an extremely young age and regularly subjecting them to every kind of abuse imaginable. Indeed, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the entire sport of gymnastics was banking on Biles putting forward another stellar performance to make everyone forget about the Larry Nassar scandal that broke a few years back.
    I do not disagree with this. but the training that was so hard for her, the early mornings the late nights the being away from her family. She chose that. She has problems with competing fine simple fix. Stop competing. She is a very smart girl. She can do lots with her life. she had to have a back up plan for this. The performance life of a Gymnast is very short. So im sure she knows what is next for her life. I dont know if she was abused by Nassier. If she was that is heartbreaking and I feel really bad for her and hope she gets the help she needs.

Like I said according to her the issue is proforming. She can stop. Myself and millions like me? We did not wake up one morning and decide to be batshit crazy, and we cant just say well im going to stop doing a sport and I will get better.

She has her issues and we have ours. Hers are no worse because she is famous. That is what people do not understand. They see her and think of her only and not the others who are dealing with issues so severe they cant live their life. I take 15 pills a day to be even close to normal with bad side effects. Im 40 years old and cant leave the house with out a damn chaperone. I talk to my therapist once a week and a doctor twice a month sometimes more. I have spent 5 years of my life in mental hospitals and long term care faculties (That is not counting the 4 years in prison). And I am one of the more normal people in my support group 2 member of which killed themselves during covid. So no I am not going to call her brave and think what she is going through is so much worse then millions of other people.

So we can just disagree and move on because to be honest it is dumb as Hell listening for people on the news or where ever telling people with mental health issues how we should treat and feel about famous person who will be in the news for some sound bites and photo ops and never talk about this again.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-29-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And then there are those like Michael Phelps. But more to the point, her struggles do not minimize what you have to go through in any way. And the more high profile people speak out about mental illness, the better for everyone.
    On theory that is great. And I would welcome that. But I have never seen it work out that way after celeb drops out of the news and stops talking about it. I have not seen huge ior even small increases in mental health funding, support, or a mass hiring of doctors and therapists because famous person spoke up for 2 weeks. In fact in my county I have seen massive cuts in funding and hiring. People who are not actively part of these systems do not see the every day services or lack there of and think things get 100 times better for normal people once a famous person speaks out.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-29-2021 at 04:51 PM.

I dont mean to be on a high horse or insulting or angry at anyone. I am sorry if it comes off that way. This board is very important to me I have never met any of you or know your names but I interact with you all more then anyone in my life and you guys help me more then you will ever know just with your posts and comments and giving me an escape. You have all been welcoming of me and my mental health and my past in prison and make me feel safe. I thank you all for that. And I do not want to anger or upset anyone here and I am very sorry if my posts have lead to that.
    Last edited by babyblob; 07-29-2021 at 04:47 PM.

One last thing then I am done with the subject. my issue isnt really with you guys. it is with the talking heads and the media and the people who do not have a mental illness acting like what she is going through is so much worse then what so many deal with. To be fair to Biles she is not doing that. She is not making this a this is about me moment. She said she had an issue and she said what she is going to do to fix it. I respect her for that. my problem is not with Biles, it is how the White Knights and talking heads are reacting to Biles. We have dealt with these reactions from people for the last several years as Celebs come forward. It is just tiresome.

I hear you blob.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I hear you blob.
    Sorry to rant. I think I bit too far. I am sorry to everyone.

BANNED

One last thing then I am done with the subject. my issue isnt really with you guys. it is with the talking heads and the media and the people who do not have a mental illness acting like what she is going through is so much worse then what so many deal with. To be fair to Biles she is not doing that. She is not making this a this is about me moment. She said she had an issue and she said what she is going to do to fix it. I respect her for that. my problem is not with Biles, it is how the White Knights and talking heads are reacting to Biles. We have dealt with these reactions from people for the last several years as Celebs come forward. It is just tiresome.
    Look, it's pretty clear that what Biles has isn't some chronic personality disorder, but rather an acute case of severe performance anxiety, and in that sense it was far worse than what most people experience, given the stage that she's performing on and the intense level of media scrutiny she has been under for the past few months.

And instead of going to that old "bah why do people only care when it happens to celebrities, what about ME" routine, maybe ponder a little bit why that is. Sports is a form of escapism for many people, it's a chance for the average Joe to forget his problems for a bit and watch people that represent the pinnacle of physical fitness strut their stuff on the big stage, and live vicariously through them. So when our favorite athletes succeed, we feel like we are winning too, and conversely when they falter, we take that as a personal failure in a sense. In the past, someone doing what Simone Biles just did would have been universally condemned by both the media and the public as a quitter and a loser, and forced to live out the rest of their lives in shame with all of their positive accomplishments forgotten. This in fact may still end up happening to her, and the fact that she was able to take that step knowing this could be a consequence means that she was brave enough to face down the torrent of criticism she knew would be coming her way, and she at least deserves credit for that.

I dont mean to be on a high horse or insulting or angry at anyone. I am sorry if it comes off that way. This board is very important to me I have never met any of you or know your names but I interact with you all more then anyone in my life and you guys help me more then you will ever know just with your posts and comments and giving me an escape. You have all been welcoming of me and my mental health and my past in prison and make me feel safe. I thank you all for that. And I do not want to anger or upset anyone here and I am very sorry if my posts have lead to that.
    I respect your opinion. I also realize and want to affirm that you have been clear, concise, and non-confrontational in expressing your opinion. Thank you for trusting us enough to share.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

BANNED

Sorry to start a thing. My follow up: While I agree with their choices and recognize the pressures and reasons behind them (and as mentioned, the whole Olympic culture is sort of toxic and exploitative) I still don't believe they were brave for making them. They had bad options all around, and they made the ones that were best for them. Nothing wrong with that. And I don't see either of them loudly proclaiming how brave they are for making those choices, it's the media culture that is part of the exploitation process that wants to have positive stories about them despite them making decisions that look bad to outsiders and so spin those decisions in the best possible light.

When you have sites like the Huffpo (and why in the heck am I still going to that site?) praising them as if they'd reached an entirely new level of impressiveness for bowing out it comes off like a reflexive defense of celebrity athletes who generate a lot of clicks (mostly for Biles, had never heard of Osaka before she quit). As if they were religious figures who should never have their motivations questioned or criticized. I think it's OK to say, "Aw dang, that sucks/is a shame" rather than saying "Oh they quit, how brave! I'm even more impressed with them than I've ever been before!"

In the case of Biles she's very high profile and has a lot riding on her continued success. I get where people feel the need to protect that brand. It just comes off as dishonest to me. I don't have a dog in the fight, as I haven't watched a single second of Olympic footage this go-'round, though when I did in the past women's gymnastics was usually one of the more exciting competitions. Which may be why this narrative building sticks out. She's likely the most high profile Olympian we have, so again a lot invested in that narrative.