Page 179 of 439 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 6582

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Take our casualties in WWII compared to the Civil War - they're roughly the same in absolute numbers, but as a percentage of the US population, the latter was unquestionably more damaging to the citizenry than the former. In fact, you can combine both WWII and WWI casualties and they still don't remotely approach the Civil War numbers as a percentage.
    Part of this is also due to the massive population explosion the world has gone through in the past couple centuries.

in 1750 the global population was 700 million, hitting 1 billion for the first time in 1804 (1.2 billion in 1850), 2 billion in 1927, 3 billion in 1960, and so on. But the population only grew from 200 million at the BC/AD flip to 275 million in the year 1000. So smaller total numbers in the past are likely to be larger percentages of the whole than larger total numbers are today.
    Dark does not mean deep.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I've said it before, and it's been stated by someone else, but what makes the Holocaust in particular stand out is that unlike most other genocides (which are about gaining or keeping power/resources), what the Nazis did was the end goal in and of itself. People can comprehend inhuman things done for some other goal, but when those things are the goal in and of themselves it becomes horrifying. Most people I know point to the Killing Fields of Pol Pot right after the Holocaust despite both of them being well outnumbered in the number of corpses by other events.
    That I agree with, GL. The 20th century regrettably can't run away from that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Part of this is also due to the massive population explosion the world has gone through in the past couple centuries.

in 1750 the global population was 700 million, hitting 1 billion for the first time in 1804 (1.2 billion in 1850), 2 billion in 1927, 3 billion in 1960, and so on. But the population only grew from 200 million at the BC/AD flip to 275 million in the year 1000. So smaller total numbers in the past are likely to be larger percentages of the whole than larger total numbers are today.
    Exactly right. The 20th century world population really stands out in comparison with earlier century totals.

I did not care for American Pie.
    There I said it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I did not care for American Pie.
    There I said it.
    The song, the movie, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, I would think that era had far, far more killing and mayhem than the last century.
    Not even close. Are you kidding lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    The song, the movie, or both?
    The movies.

The song is a gem.

The movies.

The song is a gem.
    Doesn't everyone consider the movies trash?
    BB

When you combine both WW, interwar conflicts and the deaths of multiple communist regimes you start to hit some high numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Not even close. Are you kidding lol?
    As a percentage of population, as I pointed out before. Obviously, there were more people killed in the last century than others, but there were also a lot more people who weren't killed in the 20th century than the preceding ones. It's all about context.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Yes, it is lowbrow humor. But with comedy, you either laugh or you don't. Neither is right or wrong.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The movies.

The song is a gem.
    I second that!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    I haven't seen it but I remember when the first one came out it actually got some half way decent reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, it is lowbrow humor. But with comedy, you either laugh or you don't. Neither is right or wrong.
    I agree. They're not for everyone, bt if it's your type of humor, you won't be disappointed.

BANNED

The 20th century was a bloody one for sure, but it also saw unprecedented advances in the standard of living for pretty much the entire world and created a new international order that has so far succeeded in keeping the peace where previous attempts have failed. Hundreds of millions may have died from war, famine, disease, and natural disasters, but billions more were born and survived to live peaceful, prosperous, and happy lives that would not have been possible in previous eras. The question of course is whether we can continue to build on this progress, or whether the quality of life we enjoyed in the 20th century was just an unsustainable aberration that future generations will suffer for.