Page 144 of 439 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 6582
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Capitalism doesn't work for social services. That's why Healthcare is absurdly expensive.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Capitalism doesn't work for social services. That's why Healthcare is absurdly expensive.
    One of the more unintentionally funny things out there is Ben Shaprio trying to defend the current system by comparing it to buying furniture.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    45 days is short as prison sentences go, but the thought of even that fills me with terror. I certainly wouldn't consider it a slap on the wrist.
    Really? 1 and a half months isn't a slap on the wrist to you? He nearly beat a man to death. Of course it's a scary place but people have gone to prison for much longer for less. But this is the controversial opinion thread so I suppose it fits here.

The general opinion of The Shining seems to be that it is a great film, but one of the worst adaptations ever made. Most people who watch it without having read the book seem to enjoy it.
    I've read the book, seen the movie, and watched the minsieries. The movie is the best version of the three. The others just seem to go off the wall and don't feel like they know what they're going for anymore by the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've read the book, seen the movie, and watched the minsieries. The movie is the best version of the three. The others just seem to go off the wall and don't feel like they know what they're going for anymore by the end.
    My controversial opinion is that I think that the bolded statement describes most Stephen King works. I don't think I've ever truly enjoyed a Stephen King novel start to finish. I find him to be unnecessarily long winded so much so that he often loses track of the story. His work often greatly benefits by someone adapting it.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    My controversial opinion is that I think that the bolded statement describes most Stephen King works. I don't think I've ever truly enjoyed a Stephen King novel start to finish. I find him to be unnecessarily long winded so much so that he often loses track of the story. His work often greatly benefits by someone adapting it.
    That's not controversial when many consider Stephen King a hack.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    However, there is someone whom I think should be in jail and it is Mark Wahlberg who actually did beat a Korean man to the point of being disabled. Now assault is actually a crime. Now if he did his time and changed his mind then forgiveness can be given but reports are that he really never realized how bad what he did was. And that's a problem. And unlike Neeson, I actually became a fan with Boogey Nights.
    Vietnamese men. "Vietnam f*cking s*hit"
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    That's not controversial when many consider Stephen King a hack.
    Many do, yes. But a ton don't. In general, he's a very well regarded popular author. Which is what makes it controversial to call him a hack. I don't even think I'd go that far, because if he were, I don't think adaptations of his work would be as successful. He is at least good at getting the bones of a good story.

King is not a hack. He is a very good pop author. Not a "Great Writer" for sure. But not a hack. Stephenie Myer is a hack.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Many do, yes. But a ton don't. In general, he's a very well regarded popular author. Which is what makes it controversial to call him a hack. I don't even think I'd go that far, because if he were, I don't think adaptations of his work would be as successful. He is at least good at getting the bones of a good story.
    Agreed. King is pretty damn good in general, IMO, and is obviously great and influential among horror writers, He also is the guy that made me a consistent book buyer starting with Night Shift circa 1985. As for being a hack, I have heard that charge for decades now and I still don't understand it (though King spawned quite a few of them, however).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

King’s short stories are excellent. Not much ending to botch.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    King’s short stories are excellent. Not much ending to botch.
    Agreed, I always preferred his short stories. I just think he's more in his element there, well i think so, this might just be a personal preference but i find king (and honestly horror authors in general) to be far more effective as writers of short stories instead of 900 page door stoppers. for example look at H.P. Lovecraft (even though i hate his pretentious prose), he made absolutely legendary scary stories just under a few pages long....if that. the only King books i have is his collection of short stories. my fave story collections are

Nightshade

Skelton Crew

Nightmare & Dreamscapes.

Everything's Eventual

Just After Sunset
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 02-13-2019 at 03:43 PM.

I find it strange that some modern women look down on traditional gender roles, but at the same time expect modern men to adhere to traditional gender roles, which is kinda dumb. With that type of attitude those bitter Bitches will always be single lol. It's also unbelievable for men to ask women to not have a side peice in a poly relationship while they have several. That's not how it works lol.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Vietnamese men. "Vietnam f*cking s*hit"
    Yeah, my bad. In the beginning it was reported as a single Korean man, I'm pretty sure. Then those top tens said Vietnamese men. Can they not tell the difference? Unless he was badmouthing all Asians at one point then I may see the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Agreed, I always preferred his short stories. I just think he's more in his element there, well i think so, this might just be a personal preference but i find king (and honestly horror authors in general) to be far more effective as writers of short stories instead of 900 page door stoppers. for example look at H.P. Lovecraft (even though i hate his pretentious prose), he made absolutely legendary scary stories just under a few pages long....if that. the only King books i have is his collection of short stories. my fave story collections are

Nightshade

Skelton Crew

Nightmare & Dreamscapes.

Everything's Eventual

Just After Sunset
    I agree with just about all of this. It would've been a better book if he'd cut out about a third of it. I think it was his editors and publishers who drove that decision.
    It's interesting that you bring up Lovecraft here since King openly admits to him being a major influence on his work.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe