Page 341 of 440 FirstFirst ... 241291331337338339340341342343344345351391 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 6586
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I’d think it would take something as simple as just putting the character in the spotlight to make them as big as Batman. Wouldn’t any character with multiple shows, movies, and/or comic line be that big?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, that's the theory, at any rate. If that were the case, wouldn't every TV show with brand-new characters just about have the same number of viewers (since they all have the same spotlight)? But what happens is some show shows appeal more to the general public than others, which I believe is the case with Batman.
    It’s the push plus the right writers, at least for movies, comics, and TV shows… because writers matter more than any other component for narrative, and narrative matters more than anything else for long term franchises and characters.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s the push plus the right writers, at least for movies, comics, and TV shows… because writers matter more than any other component for narrative, and narrative matters more than anything else for long term franchises and characters.
    But some characters are just more enticing for readers than others regardless of the creative team. Do you like every superhero equally or even close to that? While I enjoy just about all of them myself, there are a few that transcend them all in my eyes. Besides, unlike television, most fans just don't have enough money to finance all the available titles out there, so you have to pick the ones that entertain you the most.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m going to have to disagree. I think the most important aspect is the vocal support of the fans. If the fans don’t like it, then it’s really not going to get off the ground at all, writers or not. But, even if the show has fans, that’s still not a guarantee because we’ve seen shows, movies, and comics get cancelled regardless.

I’m going to have to disagree. I think the most important aspect is the vocal support of the fans. If the fans don’t like it, then it’s really not going to get off the ground at all, writers or not. But, even if the show has fans, that’s still not a guarantee because we’ve seen shows, movies, and comics get cancelled regardless.
    I agree here. It is the fanbase, whether or not they are vocal. A company can push all they want and sometimes it works. But honestly, if they was a formula for success, it would be used many times over with regular occurrences of success.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Well, that's the theory, at any rate. If that were the case, wouldn't every TV show with brand-new characters just about have the same number of viewers (since they all have the same spotlight)? But what happens is some show shows appeal more to the general public than others, which I believe is the case with Batman.
    Not necessarily. This would be a case where the tv shows are competing for the same audience, which only has so much time that they have to choose which show gets their bump in ratings. I’m not sure how they account for ratings with the current landscape of streaming and, we have to consider pirating, but I get the feeling that some numbers get lost in translation or maybe they only care about viewership during the initial premiere. It could all come down to merchandise sales, I’d like to be able to work in the industry to get a better grasp on the real answer, which is most likely a combination of things.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I didn't realize their was "nonsensical hatred" of them.
    THat describes the entire hatred of them since I haven't heard any valid reasons or strong factual reasons for hating them that's why any of the reasons for hating them are flimsy and nonsensical.

Screw the Nickleback Haters I will never apologize for being a Nickleback fan, saying Nickelback is 1 of my favorite bands, and for wearing a Nickleback t-shirt after I buy a Nickleback t-shirt.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Most ethnic minorities aren’t actually liberal. They just vote liberal because conservatives are perceived( and sometimes are) openly hostile to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    THat describes the entire hatred of them since I haven't heard any valid reasons or strong factual reasons for hating them that's why any of the reasons for hating them are flimsy and nonsensical.

Screw the Nickleback Haters I will never apologize for being a Nickleback fan, saying Nickelback is 1 of my favorite bands, and for wearing a Nickleback t-shirt after I buy a Nickleback t-shirt.
    I'm not a huge fan of them, but I don't hate them. But yes, Nickelback is in the same category of "Things You Are Not Allowed To Like On The Internet" as Carlos Mencia, Olive Garden, and Comic Sans (its just a font people, get over it).
    Dark does not mean deep.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I agree here. It is the fanbase, whether or not they are vocal. A company can push all they want and sometimes it works. But honestly, if they was a formula for success, it would be used many times over with regular occurrences of success.
    The last sentence is really the clincher. If you think you have the easy solution to do this or that, it's almost certainly not as simple as you think.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    If you like a character who has a lot of haters, it's a place to talk about stuff without trolls trying to derail every last conversation.
    I’d completely understand this if it wasn’t every character who got a thread.

I’d completely understand this if it wasn’t every character who got a thread.
    Im light weight tempted to start a Super Pro thread
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

The thing I don’t get about the appreciation threads is how do they go on so long? They go on for years and come out each year, but is it a respect thread or what? It doesn’t bother me at all, but the concept confuses me
    Generally they should be a place to discuss a character.

Some are the ONLY place to know anything about a character.

Some are the ONLY place to know if the character appears in anything.

It’s like a one-stop thread for fan art, news, speculation, and debates.
    Generally this although some attract trolls-who have ZERO issue telling you to accept CRAP.

Like if your favorite is badly written in a book-you STILL have to support the book or you are not a real fan.

Extraordinary Member

But some characters are just more enticing for readers than others regardless of the creative team. Do you like every superhero equally or even close to that? While I enjoy just about all of them myself, there are a few that transcend them all in my eyes. Besides, unlike television, most fans just don't have enough money to finance all the available titles out there, so you have to pick the ones that entertain you the most.
    Oh, yeah, I totally agree with that…but the most important ingredient to making that character more enticing ends up being the writing, and consistently good writing is needed to maintain it afterwards.

That’s not to undersell how important an iconic visual design is; merely it’s to state that the narrative/story/writing ultimately still matters more.

The fanbase is grown by the story, then the fanbase overcomes the visual aspect… but still ends up living and dying more off the writing than anything else. Think about how a decade of mostly mediocre writers have undermined major comic characters and larger franchises at DC, or how The Last Jedi managed to drive off half the ST’s fanbase, while Batman having consistently solid writing means that not only he and his family but even characters in the peripheries of his franchise succeed, and how even simple storytelling like that of The Mandalorian built up the D+ Star Wars franchise.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

F@#k Tom Dooley. Hangings too good for him.

Retired

I think the topics that are more likely to start a conversation about a character or a group of characters are those that have an angle to them--not just "Joe Blow is a Great Guy," but "Was pre-Code Joe Blow Non-Binary?"

Anyway, I've been convinced that there's a great gulf between comic book fame and other media fame. I didn't used to think so--because I got into comic book super-heroes by way of Adam West--but many posters set me straight and showed me that what's popular among comic book readers isn't what's popular in other media these days--and vicey versy. Characters that have almost been forgotten in the comic books can score their own movie or T.V. show and be a big hit. Yet a spin-off comic book title isn't going to generate the same interest. Because the two arenas are very different, with only some overlap. People that watch T.V. shows and movies aren't going to bother with the comic books--it's not like when I was a kid and Gold Key or Charlton could put out a tie-in comic and every kid on the block would buy it because it had a photo of Davy Jones or David Cassidy on the cover. And readers that like the comic book are often those who deplore the live action treatment and work against its success.