Page 4 of 439 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    The matrix films did nothing for me. I respected, intellectually, the fact that a cool foreign-thriller feeling series with interesting philosophy was so big, but it was so cold and "for people who feel clever" I couldn't muster up any love.
    The Matrix, coming out in a world that already had Ghost in the Shell, New Rose Hotel, and The Invisibles, just looked not so great. The action scenes were fun enough, the clothes could be cool, but the central "big mystery" was something we all knew from the ads, before the movie even came out. There really wasn't anything I could see that we needed to think deeply and seriously about. "What if this is a simulation and there's another world that still runs on gravity and hunger and ethics pretty much identical to this simulation-world's?" That's not a deep ponderable. "What if hats were ants?"

The Matrix looked simple and old-fashioned compared to The Thirteenth Floor, and that should have taken effort. At least, The Thirteen Floor asked questions that were a little harder to answer immediately, and characters who weren't terminally naive.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

352 mass shootings in the U.S. this year. More statistics. Bombarded with so many tragedies that my level of compassion, shock, and outrage feels contrived. Murder and mayhem have taken on a business as usual normalcy. I'm a statistic and you're a statistic. Everybody is a statistic. Cold, lifeless numbers, calculations.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 12-02-2015 at 08:20 PM.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3dtech View Post
    thanks for this information
    Saying your welcome doesn't exactly feel appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    352 mass shootings in the U.S. this year. More statistics. Bombarded with so many tragedies that my level of compassion, shock, and outrage feels contrived. Murder and mayhem have taken on a business as usual normalcy. I'm a statistic and you're a statistic. Everybody is a statistic. Cold, lifeless numbers, calculations.
    I was talking about that, this morning, with my advanced placement students and one of them asked if that meant any of them or I were in danger of being shot in America and I want to be all patriotic blind love w'ev, but I told them "yes," because there's no point in lying to them. I can't even feel comfortable saying "be careful" any more, because it's not about careful. "Don't get shot if you can help it."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I was talking about that, this morning, with my advanced placement students and one of them asked if that meant any of them or I were in danger of being shot in America and I want to be all patriotic blind love w'ev, but I told them "yes," because there's no point in lying to them. I can't even feel comfortable saying "be careful" any more, because it's not about careful. "Don't get shot if you can help it."
    Thats the sad and scary thing. Its all wrong place wrong time. There is no defense for it. But the reality of it, is that is no different than getting into a car accident with a drunk driver. Hell, there is much greater chance of getting hit by a drunk driver than a mass shooter. We all get up and live our lives everyday. Cant live in fear.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I like bratwurst better than hot dogs, to me brats have a better texture than hot dogs.
    Hot dogs are a vessel for condiments. Brats don't usually need any but sometimes a bit of mustard or some fried onions are good.

And, just to amp things up: Ringo has had the coolest post-Beatles career.
    I kinda like Ringo best. I feel like he's the only one to really enjoy having been a Beatle

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Has much as I like Carol Danvers, I really don't see this supposed "big push" to make her "Marvel's Wonder Woman" coming from Marvel as a corporation ( movie announcement non-withstanding). I think a lot of that talk is wishful thinking among fans. All Marvel as a company has done is relaunch her series a couple of times and feature her in a couple of Avengers titles, which isn't anything more than they've done for Black Widow and She-Hulk.
    Marvel can't seem to decide on which female should be their Wonder Woman and therefore doesn't have one. She-Hulk was famous under Byrne, then Storm was hot when X-Men were but they belong to Fox. Black Widow is the most famous (and only) female in the MCU but the comics want Carol Danvers to be big but she isn't anywhere else and they can't decide on what to call her for more than a few years.

Granted part of Wonder Woman is her just having been around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    White liberals and conservatives may disagree on politics, but when it comes to police brutality they overwhelmingly sound the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I don't see that at all, conservatives are going out of their way to keep responsibility from the Police in any of these deaths and assaults.Tthe liberals iIhave seen are saying something different.
    I suppose #notallwhiteliberals but I do totally know some which is too many.

The Matrix, coming out in a world that already had Ghost in the Shell, New Rose Hotel, and The Invisibles, just looked not so great. The action scenes were fun enough, the clothes could be cool, but the central "big mystery" was something we all knew from the ads, before the movie even came out. There really wasn't anything I could see that we needed to think deeply and seriously about. "What if this is a simulation and there's another world that still runs on gravity and hunger and ethics pretty much identical to this simulation-world's?" That's not a deep ponderable. "What if hats were ants?"

The Matrix looked simple and old-fashioned compared to The Thirteenth Floor, and that should have taken effort. At least, The Thirteen Floor asked questions that were a little harder to answer immediately, and characters who weren't terminally naive.
    The Matrix was great for what it was. And what it was, was an plot designed to allow loads of bullet time shots and reality bending physics. It worked really well for that job.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    The Matrix was great for what it was. And what it was, was an plot designed to allow loads of bullet time shots and reality bending physics. It worked really well for that job.
    As a shoot-em-up, it's still pretty fun.

I don't care about any of the "hot topics" that dominate the news and the political discussion

I don't care about police brutality, I don't care about 'mass shootings,' I don't care about ISIS, I dont care about gun laws, I don't care about refugees, I don't care about planned parenthood, I don't care about college kid protests

I am 100% desensitized by the bombardment of news, the frequency of "bad stuff" happening, and outrage over stuff that it means nothing to me at all because none of that stuff directly affects me at all.

Makes me a horrible person, but I relaly do not care. I care more about Black Panthers cool new vibranium force push than any of that ****
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Our "traditional" concept of masculinity is only a little over a century old and has done nothing good for society.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Yeah, but it plays well with advertising, so it'll be holy hell getting rid of it.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    I kinda like Ringo best. I feel like he's the only one to really enjoy having been a Beatle
    - I don't care the billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerburg is using a LLC to avoid paying taxes on his vast fortune. Kardashians, Taylor Swift, & the rest of the vapid, talentless females TV celebrities don't bother me.

- I prefer "Shadow Warrior" over "DOOM II" but not by much.

- I named my wife's Pomeranian "Ringo". Not just because he was a Beatle, but he was the "Best Beatle".

I will never, ever understand the hero worship of Police and fire fighters.

99% of them became police and fire fighters to work and make some money. they did it for a job. They didn't do it to, "protect and serve" or some other bullshit. It is a job they chose.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    That was the best part of the Matrix, but it looks so dated today that it takes me out of the movie. Also got kinda ridiculous when everyone started parodying it.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I will never, ever understand the hero worship of Police and fire fighters.

99% of them became police and fire fighters to work and make some money. they did it for a job. They didn't do it to, "protect and serve" or some other bullshit. It is a job they chose.
    I don't get into the hero worship either, but some do do it to protect and serve. Some do it for the money. In the case of police, some do it so they can be bullies.