Page 297 of 440 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307347397 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,455 of 6586

Going back to older movies. I think the best movies when it comes to acting has got to be 12 Angry Men the 1957 black and White version.

Every actor did such amazing job. Everyone there played the part to perfection. No over acting no weak moments.

Ed Begley as the racist, Robert Webber as the go back and forth wishy washy Juror, Jack Warden the last hold out, E.G. Marshall the president from Superman 2!

I mean this cast was so perfect that Henry Fonda the star was out acted by several people in the cast.

So let kids today have the special effects and the popcorn shoot em ups. When it comes to pure acting 12 Angry Men is the best
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

There is nothing controversial about that blob.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Maybe so, but the US seems to be growing a large contingent that increasingly believe that strength requires rejecting empathy for those who disagree with or differ from them. I think TheRay's right about this one.
    And almost half the country supported and still supports a man who was completely without a thimble full of empathy.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There is nothing controversial about that blob.
    I dont know. I hear some people, my friends tell me its not that great. Just a room of guys going back and forth. And it is boring.

I guess it is not controversial to high class people like us Kirby
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont know. I hear some people, my friends tell me its not that great. Just a room of guys going back and forth. And it is boring.

No offense, but your friends are idiots.

No offense, but your friends are idiots.
    Well there not like, you know, besties or anything

Astonishing Member

I can understand (although do not endorse) their point. Usually, when a stage play is turned into a movie, the director takes advantage of the new medium to "open up" the story, with a much larger cast, action scenes, and more sets. Here, the decision was made to keep it as essentially a stage play, with a small group of characters just exchanging dialog. That disappoints those people who expect a movie to offer a different kind of entertainment experience. I'm not saying they're right, but I do understand why those people wouldn't like such a movie.

The claustrophobia is what makes it great.

The claustrophobia is what makes it great.
    Agreed. These men have no where to go. They have to deal with each other and the conflict.

Extraordinary Member

I’d actually argue the film version fo 12 Angry Men benefits immensely from being able to use cinematography to play up the limited set in a way a stage play wouldn’t.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I don't think the problem is that people aren't empathetic, it's just that even the most conscientious people only really have a limited capacity to care about stuff and trying to worry about everyone else's problems all the time is extremely draining emotionally.
    I am referring to people who cause problems for others here. The selfish, entitled people who don't care that they are always the ones at the center of drama if it means they get their way or they get to make life miserable for others. There's a time and a place to stand your ground, but every minor inconvenience is not it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I am referring to people who cause problems for others here. The selfish, entitled people who don't care that they are always the ones at the center of drama if it means they get their way or they get to make life miserable for others. There's a time and a place to stand your ground, but every minor inconvenience is not it.
    The issue is not the inherent nature of people, because I refuse to believe that anyone just comes out of the womb rotten, but rather the structure of behavioral incentives that we operate under. Whether you're talking about the workplace or socializing with others or a commercial environment, everybody knows that being loud, obnoxious, selfish, and rude will give a much higher chance of getting whatever problem you had fixed than if you just kept quiet and did the right thing. Sure, there's a TINY chance that your behavior will be caught on tape and you'll end up facing consequences for it, but by and large you will get much further in life acting like that than you will by prioritizing the needs of others, which is basically just an invitation for them to exploit your good will.

Extraordinary Member

"The Day of the Jackal", (1973), was a far better suspense movie than "The Jackal", the insipid remake from 1997. Edward Fox's Jackal was far scarier than Bruce Willis's version, and taking the story out of context didn't work. Nor did any of the actors, who are all otherwise fine. But the original was one of the best suspense movies ever made, followed the novel more closely, and had superb actors in all roles.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The issue is not the inherent nature of people, because I refuse to believe that anyone just comes out of the womb rotten, but rather the structure of behavioral incentives that we operate under. Whether you're talking about the workplace or socializing with others or a commercial environment, everybody knows that being loud, obnoxious, selfish, and rude will give a much higher chance of getting whatever problem you had fixed than if you just kept quiet and did the right thing
    Not sure where you even got that, nobody said that at all.
    As far as being obnoxious goes, that depends on who you're being obnoxious to. I believe that most people will not cave.

Going back to older movies. I think the best movies when it comes to acting has got to be 12 Angry Men the 1957 black and White version.

Every actor did such amazing job. Everyone there played the part to perfection. No over acting no weak moments.

Ed Begley as the racist, Robert Webber as the go back and forth wishy washy Juror, Jack Warden the last hold out, E.G. Marshall the president from Superman 2!

I mean this cast was so perfect that Henry Fonda the star was out acted by several people in the cast.

So let kids today have the special effects and the popcorn shoot em ups. When it comes to pure acting 12 Angry Men is the best
    There were plenty of popcorn shoot em ups, even in 1957. They just happened to wear stetsons and rawhide instead of spandex.