Page 242 of 440 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292342 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 6586
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Zombie movies are always about the humans, zombies are the existential threat that the story is framed on. To say Zombie movies are boring because the zombies themselves aren't interesting characters misses what the genre is about.
    Except for iZombie and Warm Bodies.

It's like saying Godzilla is bad because the Godzilla has no character development.
    IMO, when done right Godzilla has a certain personality to him. Not much of one, but something, so we don't need much conflict between characters in a Godzilla film to drive it. Zombies, on the other hand, are generally denied that, and so stories about them aren't all that compelling unless (as Kirby101 points out) there's something going on between the other characters to attract interest. However, an exception I could see is if the Zombie and its relationships with others was presented to us pre-Zombization (is that a word?), and we then the story plays off the other characters' reactions to the zombie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Except for iZombie and Warm Bodies.
    Also I, Zombie. Colin. There was a british tv series In The Flesh. There's some others, I believe.

Day of the Dead had "Bub the zombie" who played a key role in the movie. Land of the Dead had "Big Daddy" who was the zombie that discovered how to get across the water and terrorize the living. Romero had some interesting ideas and ways of using zombies creatively as part of the story, more than just environment.

Dawn of the Dead (remake) had a touch of this as well. There was this one zombie who caught a flaming propane tank and was just about to toss it back to the human who threw it. Sadly he failed. But he tried and it was interesting.

Walking Dead was kind of disappointing because it did nothing to give its zombies any personality. There were hints at it in certain episodes, but they pretty much were a faceless force of nature for the most part.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Didn't Survival of the Dead toy with the idea, too? I thought Diary was the only new one that didn't.

I consider the Borg from Star Trek to just be zombies by another name.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But the nature of the existential threat is different. Zombies are boring, Godzilla isn't boring. Zombies express a threat that creeps up on us slowly--something like a pandemic--we don't register the threat until it's too late to stop it. Godzilla expresses a big and obvious threat, something that attacks with swiftness (and maybe has super-powers) and that we can concentrate our efforts on defeating. And once it's defeated it's over. The boring quality of the zombie is the threat--because we don't pay attention to it, so then it creeps up on us. If we just paid attention and stopped the threat before it started, we'd be safe--but we're lulled into a false sense of security. Our own boredom is what leaves us defenseless. Godzilla is visually exciting--it stirs us up into action. Zombies put us to sleep and then we're dead.
    That doesn't make zombies boring. It just makes them different from other types of threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But the nature of the existential threat is different. Zombies are boring, Godzilla isn't boring. Zombies express a threat that creeps up on us slowly--something like a pandemic--we don't register the threat until it's too late to stop it. Godzilla expresses a big and obvious threat, something that attacks with swiftness (and maybe has super-powers) and that we can concentrate our efforts on defeating. And once it's defeated it's over. The boring quality of the zombie is the threat--because we don't pay attention to it, so then it creeps up on us. If we just paid attention and stopped the threat before it started, we'd be safe--but we're lulled into a false sense of security. Our own boredom is what leaves us defenseless. Godzilla is visually exciting--it stirs us up into action. Zombies put us to sleep and then we're dead.
    Nah, the true existential dread of zombies isn't because you get complacent and they sneak up on you. I mean, even if you literally fall asleep, you'd probably hear one or two zombies moaning and shuffling along as they try to fumble at your door or window to get at you. And their reflexes are slow, so you really don't even need much of a weapon, so long as you're willing to just go out and bash their head in.

The scary part of zombies is the inevitability. You can handle one or two or four, but there are potentially going to be billions of them, and how do you handle that? And figure out your answer as quickly as you can, because while you're thinking about it, the number of zombies out there is increasing exponentially.

I mean, the couple of gross-out zombies with open wounds or whatever that try to get you at the start of the story might make for a good jump-scare or two, but the true threat of a zombie plague is that eventually, you will face oceans of them, and what can you possibly do to defeat that?

Which hey, tastes vary, so anyone is still free to consider that "boring", entertainment-wise. But, if we are talking about potentially having the scary monster-type thing exist in the same world you actually live in? Yeah, I'll take Godzilla over zombies. He's really a lot easier to get away from, for most of the population.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Why couldn't I mention the harassment and violence that Obama voters faced in Texas without it being German lies? Because of the guy in my avatar? I'm an American and all I was, was not dumb and could understand a news report. Blaming the country of the guy in my avatar leads to denialism? The irony. If this Texas thing is really controversial then it belongs here. Who ever heard of a mostly red state doing something like this (sarcasm)? I don't wish to generalize but they did it to themselves. Is the KKK also controversial? I don't want a Nazi of any kind. No matter where they may be from. What's next, the sweet imperialists?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

Which hey, tastes vary, so anyone is still free to consider that "boring", entertainment-wise. But, if we are talking about potentially having the scary monster-type thing exist in the same world you actually live in? Yeah, I'll take Godzilla over zombies. He's really a lot easier to get away from, for most of the population.
    I dont know. In the old 70's movies everyone and their mother knew where Godzilla was at. They even had a Zilla watch in one of the movies if I remember right. yet when she is knocking over building in Tokyo there are millions of people that seem to be underfoot. I get you cant move but do they have to wait until 5 minutes before she is in the city before they go to the monster shelters or leave town? And why is there always that one ******* with like 5 suitcases slowing down the people behind him?

The remind me of the idiots in Louisiana who dont leave before the hurricane and then as they are floating down the street in there house wonder why no one is coming to help them.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-08-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Why couldn't I mention the harassment and violence that Obama voters faced in Texas without it being German lies? Because of the guy in my avatar? I'm an American and all I was, was not dumb and could understand a news report. Blaming the country of the guy in my avatar leads to denialism? The irony. If this Texas thing is really controversial then it belongs here. Who ever heard of a mostly red state doing something like this (sarcasm)? I don't wish to generalize but they did it to themselves. Is the KKK also controversial? I don't want a Nazi of any kind. No matter where they may be from. What's next, the sweet imperialists?
    Is this post in the right thread? I went back 13 pages (over 3 months ago) and I haven't anything by you or responding to you on those pages. I was scrolling quickly, but I figured I would at least have spotted your avatar.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont know. In the old 70's movies everyone and their mother knew where Godzilla was at. They even had a Zilla watch in one of the movies if I remember right. yet when she is knocking over building in Tokyo there are millions of people that seem to be underfoot. I get you cant move but do they have to wait until 5 minutes before she is in the city before they go to the monster shelters or leave town? And why is there always that one ******* with like 5 suitcases slowing down the people behind him?

The remind me of the idiots in Louisiana who dont leave before the hurricane and then as they are floating down the street in there house wonder why no one is coming to help them.
    Lol oh, no, you are totally right! I didn't it's easier to survive, for the people who are actually living in a town that Godzilla decides to decimate. Nah, whether its Tokyo or LA, I would totally avoid living in anything even remotely a coastal town, if Godzilla were real. Because yeah, if you're in the city when the buildings start being knocked over and flame breath is getting sprayed around, yeah, good luck with surviving that!

I just meant that Godzilla is only dangerous for the one city with the giant monster fight or whatever, but so long as you're lucky enough to not be there -- statistically, most people wouldn't be -- then, you will be fine. Whereas, a zombie apocalypse would most likely wipe out the entire human race. Like, maybe a little pocket of survivors in an underground bunker or the arctic or some deserted island somewhere, but even if a few people are lucky enough to somehow beat the incredible odds of becoming zombie food, it's not going to be enough to continue any future generations.

I guess, comparable to real-world possibilities, their on-screen size notwithstanding, I'd agree with your analogy, Godzilla is kind of like a hurricane ... while, zombies would be more like a giant meteor hitting the earth. They're scary because they're an extinction-level threat. Luckily, I think Godzilla is closer to the realm of actual possibility, of the two.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Lol oh, no, you are totally right! I didn't it's easier to survive, for the people who are actually living in a town that Godzilla decides to decimate. Nah, whether its Tokyo or LA, I would totally avoid living in anything even remotely a coastal town, if Godzilla were real. Because yeah, if you're in the city when the buildings start being knocked over and flame breath is getting sprayed around, yeah, good luck with surviving that!

I just meant that Godzilla is only dangerous for the one city with the giant monster fight or whatever, but so long as you're lucky enough to not be there -- statistically, most people wouldn't be -- then, you will be fine. Whereas, a zombie apocalypse would most likely wipe out the entire human race. Like, maybe a little pocket of survivors in an underground bunker or the arctic or some deserted island somewhere, but even if a few people are lucky enough to somehow beat the incredible odds of becoming zombie food, it's not going to be enough to continue any future generations.

I guess, comparable to real-world possibilities, their on-screen size notwithstanding, I'd agree with your analogy, Godzilla is kind of like a hurricane ... while, zombies would be more like a giant meteor hitting the earth. They're scary because they're an extinction-level threat. Luckily, I think Godzilla is closer to the realm of actual possibility, of the two.
    Now that I see where you are coming from I agree. But let me put this idea in your head. Zombie Godzilla!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Retired

The way to survive a Zombie apocalypse is you just let it spread until herd mentality kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    That's an extremely stupid thing to say.

Invincible Member

It's disappointing that some folks are already sniping and pointing fingers at each other over who deserves credit for Biden's election and who didn't fall in line quick enough. To be arguing over who are the "real heroes" of the election when the guy hasn't even assumed office yet, let alone fixed anything, is shockingly near-sighted.