Page 195 of 440 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245295 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 6586

Along the line of the recent "Shaving..." tangent -

Controversial Opinion: The Philips Norelco OneBlade is not completely useless as a "Razor" replacement.

Retired

When I was in the Royal Canadian Navy, you were allowed to have a beard or a moustache, but you had to commit. You couldn't just change your mind. You had to look like your military photograph. When we were out sea, some of us would have got permission to grow a beard, but then we'd have to go through the proper channels to establish that beard on our identification when we returned to port. And everything had to pass inspection. So beards had to be properly trimmed. Moustaches needed to be groomed--and if they were longer then waxed. And there was a set length for sideburns. Likewise with your haircut--it couldn't look scruffy and hang over your collar at the back, as so many actors have it when they play military personnel.

The word "Cyberpunk" is so used out of context nowadays that it has almost lost any meaning.

Funny how people seem to notice the "cyber" part of the word but forget about the "punk" one. Necromunda is way more cyberpunk than Deus Ex ever was for example.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 12-29-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    How is it that beards have become so popular--and not just your small beards that were popular in the '90s, or the stubble that's been popular for most of this century, but big thick monster beards? I've grown beards many times--in the winter or when I'm travelling--but I've never kept them for more than a week--because they are uncomfortable, scratchy, bothersome. If this is a fashion statement, I don't see how so many men put up with them for so long. And frankly, I find them off-putting and sketchy--what are they trying to hide behind that thick face-fur?
    From what I saw a couple months ago, big, full beards are supposedly on the way out, it's already been a thing for several years, where have you been? LOL! Anyway, I've had some sort of facial hair since graduating high school in the mid 80s, and have only been completely clean shaven maybe twice in 34 years, didn't last long either. Growing a beard has never really bothered me, and I don't experience the itching and scratching others report. I let it go over the summer while moving and currently sport a full beard, doesn't bother me that's it's gray, though I was surprised how quickly it turned, several years ago I decided to just let it grow and see how long it would get (had it about a foot and a half), I started to get a few gray strands, but after I cut it back it pretty much all went gray.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    From what I saw a couple months ago, big, full beards are supposedly on the way out, it's already been a thing for several years, where have you been?
    I guess I'm not down with the kids. And I'm often watching youtube videos and movies that are two or three years old. The anecdotal stories are interesting, but I was thinking in general terms how such a fad catches on. It's one thing if it's easy to pull off--not shaving for a day or two to get that scruffy look is easy--but growing the big beards is a real commitment and for so many guys (famous and non-famous) to put in the effort seems surprising. I mean, why would Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds grow beards at the same time that make them look even more like each other than they already do?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Baby Yoda isn't that cute (changes phone number and address).
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Blasphemy!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Baby Yoda isn't that cute (changes phone number and address).
    I hear ya, it's so freaking creepy.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I hear ya, it's so freaking creepy.
    He's just Gizmo for People not old enough to know better

Baby Yoda made me not want to watch The Mandalorian.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Plus he doesn't even have the cuddly fur of Gizmo.

I also thought E.T. looked like a grub. Still can't stand to look at it even if they tried to 'cutesify' it by adding on big, soulful eyes.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Astonishing Member

I absolutely detest Lovecraft and everything Lovecraft-influenced and thoroughly sick of seeing his crap infesting pop culture. Putting aside the racism and anti-semitism, there were and continue to be far better horror writers.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Damn! Now that you mention it, there IS a passing resemblance!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I absolutely detest Lovecraft and everything Lovecraft-influenced and thoroughly sick of seeing his crap infesting pop culture. Putting aside the racism and anti-semitism, there were and continue to be far better horror writers.
    Such as? I can't think of writers pre dating him.

Such as? I can't think of writers pre dating him.
    Mary Shelley