Page 31 of 440 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'll admit it had it's own sort of charm. Bottom line, I didn't hate it.

Meanwhile, I've never understood the lasting appeal of Friends or Seinfeld.
    I get the lasting appeal in terms of pop culture but I never got into the shows. I hated everyone in Friends except for Chandler.

BANNED

I really liked Friends, except for the neverending Ross/Rachel thing that the writers just. Would. Not. Drop.

J.R.R. Tolkien is a piece of **** who gave every fantasy writer that came after him a billion bad habits that have probably held back the genre.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GRIMGLAMFIRE View Post
    J.R.R. Tolkien is a piece of **** who gave every fantasy writer that came after him a billion bad habits that have probably held back the genre.
    How is the man a piece a ****? And what bad habits held the genre back?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

In my opinion, War of The Planet of The Apes started out really great but turned into a shitshow very quickly. There was nothing in the film that garnered the film to be titled WAR of The Planet of The Apes; with a title as epic as that, and this being the presumed final film in the Planet of The Apes reboot trilogy, you'd expect an all-out war between humans and the apes, or a civil war between the apes and the apes, but the main part of the film is that the main characters simply invade an ape internment camp, which is too small scale and irrelevant of a premise for the final film in the franchise, or let alone an installment in a franchise.

Invincible Member

It's funny how a story about online harassment for some fans got turned into "SJW Marvel hurt my man-feelings by changing classic characters".

if you pick up any mainstream western fantasy that slots into the canon of the genre Tolkien helped popularize a lot of writers share his fascinations with obscure, meaningless worldbuilding that have nothing to do with the narrative. and maedro the tall, and, and, and - these are things that are meaningless word fluff. other writers have come along to parody this or even give better examples of how his bad habits and focus more on world and big emotional moments over building character over time have largely been disregarded.

Married with Children is the best sitcom ever. It is still funny to this day.

Country music is awful outside of a few songs.

Rap music has become awful.

Hard rock and heavy metal are great.

Game of thrones was a awful book that shouldn't have ever made into a tv show.

Kevin Hart isn't funny.

Andres Luck is just now a decent QB. He stunk before.

Tony Romo was a great QB and the main reason the Cowboys won any games.

Tom Brady shouldn't have been suspended over that nonsense.

Jerry The King Lawler is the best wrestler of all time.
    Last edited by nnelg; 08-04-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post

Country music is awful outside of a few songs.

Rap music has become awful.

Hard rock and heavy metal are great.

Game of thrones was a awful book that shouldn't have ever made into a tv show.

Kevin Hart isn't funny.

Andres Luck is just now a decent QB. He stunk before.

Tony Romo was a great QB and the main reason the Cowboys won any games.

Tom Brady shouldn't have been suspended over that nonsense.

There is a "All Purpose Metal" Thread here, I seriously encourage you ( and everyone) to post some of your favorites. I post there, but I'm sure my 80's thrash bias is starting to show. If you think any metal band you like also qualifies as classic rock please feel to post them in the "Classic Rock Appreciation" Thread as well. Any old rap you like can be featured in the "Classic R+B etc" Thread.

Personal or historical observations are encouraged. Most of the interactions in the music threads have been positive and the definitions of the genres have been kept pretty loose. The only stipulation on the "Classic" threads is that the songs should be 10-ish yrs old at least. I don't think there's any conditions on the Metal Thread ( the OP doesn't check in that often).
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-04-2017 at 08:29 PM.

My mistake. I thought it was the worst.
    Don't know him, but I find it hard to believe he can hold a candle to Rowdy Roddy Piper.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    My mistake. I thought it was the worst.

Don't know him, but I find it hard to believe he can hold a candle to Rowdy Roddy Piper.
    Jerry is from back in the 70's-80's. People who aren't into wrestling might remember him from a "feud" he had with comedian Andy Kaufman.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Jerry is from back in the 70's-80's. People who aren't into wrestling might remember him from a "feud" he had with comedian Andy Kaufman.
    Man, that was so bizarre at the time. As for best wrestler, who really knows? At least they still did some wrestling when Lawler was at his peak. For pure entertainment value, however, nobody topped Andre the Giant, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    90s as well. Also he was much better than Piper. The King is one of the best promos and he was good in the ring.

THE CLEVELAND SHOW is the best "black family sitcom" ever, including all live-action ones.

BTW, another MWC fan here. It's one of the rare serials that got generally better the older it got, though there are some stinkola late episodes too.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

There are times when I feel embarrassed after participating in a passionate debate over something as superfluous as comic books.