Page 271 of 439 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321371 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 6583
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    C'mon, 'JIM' was Superman. As in "Excuse me White man, that is one striking attire you have on that even as I- a Pimp lol have never seen outside of a comic book. Might you been in need of mental health services?" Then he takes off in the air and you get your 'whoo'.

In the 70's if you needed to get a random white dude's attention for say, a light for a cigarette or the time, you might have used 'Jim'. As opposed to 'Jack' where it might have been for a more, uh curt greeting as it was. I feel that's going a little hard at the idea that was a cruel jab on some level I'd say. In that world no one knows what a Superman even is, the reaction, even if you disagree with the messenger, is pretty genuine. There's a mention of Rex Reed at some point in this one or one of them. Metropolis was representing New York in the 70's and suffice to say, there was a certain element that was much more pervasive than what Manhattan has looked like for the last 30 some odd years. That's to say there was about a 100% fewer sex shop elements in the middle of it. I wanna say that was, **** without looking it up, they guy that played in Uptown Saturday Night that was head of the other gang opposite of John Amos. He's been in a lot of stuff at the time. He was the Jamaican in Predator 2 I think. Damn I can't remember his name off the top of my head. Watch it not even be him... anyway.

You do have a point in that's likely the only brotha with a speaking part in the film. I feel there's one walking in the background of the Daily Planet newsroom in a Margot Kidder shot.
    The last part of your post is the problem, not the black pimp, so I'm in full agreement with you here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

John Romita Jr. is a fantastic artist.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Who says he isn’t?

His style with all these strokes works better in black and white, though.

It’s also true that comic artists produce so much that sometimes, with the time, they tend to “slack off”…
    Last edited by Zelena; 04-23-2021 at 03:59 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Who says he isn’t?…
    Most everyone in the CBR comics forums.

Yeah, probably my single favorite comics artist, really.

But yeah, you are right, lots of people are not fans of his art! I don't know if it's a majority of comics fans ... but he definitely has people who strongly dislike his work.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member

I think of JRJR as having art style that goes with some types of storytelling better than others - not so much genre, as having a chemistry with his writer.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

If you're looking for attractive female figures he's probably not going to be your cup of tea. But for Kirby-esque action he's pretty solid. But to each their own. I hate Quitely's faces, but he does movement and detail extraordinarily well. I think JRJr has that skritchy/rough feel that works well with a Daredevil or Punisher type, probably wouldn't like it on Flash and didn't like on Superman.

His dad was a dynamite artist. Sr. was up there with the greats.

2pac's pre-Death Row work was better.

I’ve never understood Screamo

Astonishing Member

Most of the modern superhero shows suck because they're just padded out movies. What works for a movie really doesn't work for a TV show. The CW and MCU tv shows are especially infamous of this.

I like Big Bang Theory, but I don't really care for their relationships at all.

Both Generation Z and Generation Y grossly misuses the word "literally".

Incredible Member

Long running shows like the Simpsons and SNL never stopped being good. The audience just got older and started expecting different things from their comedy (non laugh track stuff like Scrubs, Arrested Dev, and then so on down the years) and animation (Bob's Burgers, Rick n Morty, etc.).

It's just nostalgia. There were just as many shitty SNL episodes in the 80s. Get over it. Same goes for comics.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Long running shows like the Simpsons and SNL never stopped being good. The audience just got older and started expecting different things from their comedy (non laugh track stuff like Scrubs, Arrested Dev, and then so on down the years) and animation (Bob's Burgers, Rick n Morty, etc.).

It's just nostalgia. There were just as many shitty SNL episodes in the 80s. Get over it. Same goes for comics.
    The Charles Rocket and Anthony Michael Hall seasons, i.e. Egad!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?