Page 91 of 440 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 6586
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    My bad. It was dancj. I don't object to his saying it either. It was Willie who jumped in with an objection.
    I didn't 'jump into' anything. I asked you a question. In fact, I asked you three questions. Whether you answer them or not is up to you.

Whether dancj was thinking of you in relation to an earlier post or not is for him to divulge if he wishes. Nothing about that post implied that he believed that freelance writers should have carte blanche to behave as they please though. You've put two and two together there and, well, not even got five. More like a thousand.

I'm aware of the discussion that's currently taking place over on the DC board about freelance writers and attendant artists. I've not heard those sentiments expressed in those words over there either.

BANNED

My bad. It was dancj. I don't object to his saying it either. It was Willie who jumped in with an objection.
    Also, I wasn't actually aware of any current discussion on the topic until now. I figured that was just going to be an "I hate Geoff Johns" thread and stayed out of it.

Boisterously Confused

Dear Mod,

Can you kindly bust the proceeding **** up?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Is there seriously a fuss about writers and stories?

Comic companies hire writers based on the writer's background or because they have a good story pitch.
    The writer comes up with the story. Editorial sometimes will try to direct the story and the writer will either follow, talk editorial out of it, or leave.

Most of us know enough about the business to be able to find examples of all of these outcomes.
    Sure, that's what mature people know. But it's amazing to me to when some folks especially those claiming to be "long time fans" don't.

And just so everyone knows, I was inspired by a You Tube video I'd recently seen about supposedly "ungrateful" comic book creators. It wasn't about anything going on in the DC threads.

From the Rules:

BE CIVIL

Treat everyone with civility, keep the snark to a minimum, and do not insult other people. We cannot stress that last part enough: DO NOT INSULT OTHER PEOPLE. Engaging in insulting behavior is a bannable offense, and not the kind you come back from. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been here, whether you’re a newb or veteran, it will not be tolerated. Keep the example we mentioned in the Community Standards in mind; if you wouldn’t say it as a guest in someone else’s home, don’t say it here.

REPORT OR IGNORE, DON’T ENGAGE

If someone is exhibiting some of the behavior that’s been mentioned so far, whether you are the intended target or not, that does not excuse responding with more of the same or behaving in an insulting manner. Report the incident to the forum’s moderators (either through Private Messaging or with the Report Post function) or ignore the other person (by choice, or by adding the user to your account’s Ignore List). If the incident breaks any of our rules it will be dealt with and the offender likely banned from the site. If you participated in the exchange and struck back with similarly outlawed behavior, you may be joining them.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Controversial: Starbucks is vastly overrated. There! I said it! I don't drink coffee and, in my humble opinion, Saxbys makes much better hot chocolate.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Controversial: Starbucks is vastly overrated. There! I said it! I don't drink coffee and, in my humble opinion, Saxbys makes much better hot chocolate.
    You've mixed up the concepts of fact and opinion. This is a thread for opinions, and you've specified a fact.

If you're talking about me, and I think you are,
    I was - but it turns out I misread ed2962's post. It was probably just the timing of that comment fitting quite well with the discussion you are having in another thread at the moment.

then you're welcome to think that comics writers can and should be allowed to tell the publishers and the editors, "I won't do this. No sir, I'm going to do that instead."

That would be fine on Bizarro World, or in a fanboy's dream world. But not on this planet. Nobody gets to do that here unless he's on top of the chain of command or owns the business. Not even your favorite writer gets to do it. And if he does, then the company is being mismanaged. You have to be able to tell a guy, "There's the door." If you can't do that, then you're not in charge. You're a puppet. The people you're "managing" are in charge of you.
    I actually don't disagree with you. I think anyone in any job should be allowed to say "I won't do this", but I don't think they should be able to keep the job after doing so. This applies to both freelancers and employees.

Where my disagreement with you lies is your apparent (correct me if I'm wrong) beliefs that
    A - Creators do necessarily throw their weight around too much.
    B - They do this to selfishly hog the good artists for themselves.
    C - The management should be quite so dictatorial and actually know better than the talent.

Clearly the management can and do have the final say (and the creator can leave if they don't like it), but I see the whole thing as more of a discussion where all parties have the same end-game - to produce the best comics they can. If a writer knows that a particular artist is suited to the feel they're going for - or they just have a great rapport with that artists, then the management should be receptive to that - even if they don't ultimately agree.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Is that what the other poster actually said? Is there a single post where he said those words? Or we in Mind-Reading Land again? I can't remember a single CBR member uttering words to that effect, either here or on the DC board.

You're jumping the gun, imagining opinions and intent from other posters that isn't there, and ultimately debating a point with yourself more than anyone else again.
    Nah, Trey was right.

BANNED

Comics are the only industry I know of where customers brag about being old and think that makes them desirable.

Comics are the only industry I know of where customers brag about being old and think that makes them desirable.
    Should black comics use so much profanity in their acts?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Black comedians don't have the market cornered on using profanity in their acts.

Invincible Member

Speaking of comedians, there's a number of reasons to dislike Steve Harvey, but calling him gay is not legit criticism.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Bill Cosby didn’t, and, in his day, he was hilarious when he did stand up. Of course, the revelations of his having been a scumbag abuser of women makes admitting I liked the Cos damn hard.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Being a scumbag doesn't mean he wasn't funny. He was a very skilled comedian. His awfulness as a human doesn't change or lessen that fact.