Page 253 of 440 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254255256257263303353 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,795 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Funny thing about aging: when you're little, a year seems like a very long time, but progressively "shortens" a bit every new year. Yet, the past seems just as distant now as it did when I was a child. For example, the '50s seem just as far away today as they did when I was a kid during the '70s. I wonder if Einstein's theory of relativity somehow applies here.
    Maybe it was the speed of the observer: you were without any doubt a restless and lively child. Everything you around must have looked so slow…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Maybe it was the speed of the observer: you were without any doubt a restless and lively child. Everything you around must have looked so slow…
    Heh. That's it!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

Brubaker / Phillips need to move to another genre.

About halfway through Reckless volume 1, I put it down. I've seen these characters and read these tropes before, multiple times, from them. I mean, they're still good comics. But after a decade and half of doomed whiteboy protagonists falling prey to their own human foibles noir, I'm ready for something new. They're a talented duo; make a sci-fi or romance or something. Just anything new.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    FWIW, Whedon is probably the most clear case yet for me, where there would be that troubling need to separate the artist from their work. I don't know Joss, so he could be the most evilest douchebag ever. But he created a lot of stuff that I really liked, especially the Buffyverse (not solely him, but the heart of it). It makes it kind of hard to say The Guy Should Go Away Forever.

Note, I'm not saying he shouldn't. Just saying, this might be why you don't see the whole tidal wave of people getting on board.
    Well, it's not that there aren't a lot of people making their opinion known and calling him out. There are, but Gina got called out and scores of right wingers and grifters lept to her defense, but most of them have been silent on the Whedon situation. They care about one person getting "cancelled" by so-called "woke" Hollywood, but not the other? I thought CANCEL CULTURE tm was destroying the nation?! My guess is that it's cuz despite him maybe being a jerk or bully he has a former reputation of being a "male feminist" therefore they don't care what happens to him. ( And the truth of it is probably nothing will happen to him. There's a long history of directors who have been abusive on the set and gotten away with it).

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't know if that is true, or they are the "same folks". With Whedon I see a lot of conversation about what really went on, since it is a lot of behind the scenes stuff.
    I was really referring to how the grifters who love to complain about so-called "woke" Hollywood and CANCEL CULTURE haven't said much about the Whedon situation. We haven't even much of a "The Left Is Eating Itself" in regards to this. Part of me thinks it's cuz Joss is a liberal and they like seeing him get taken down a peg. The other part thinks it's cuz they all copy each other and are waiting for like GeeksandGamers or Ben Shaprio to do the first video, then everyone else will know what talking points to clone.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, it's not that there aren't a lot of people making their opinion known and calling him out. There are, but Gina got called out and scores of right wingers and grifters lept to her defense, but most of them have been silent on the Whedon situation. They care about one person getting "cancelled" by so-called "woke" Hollywood, but not the other? I thought CANCEL CULTURE tm was destroying the nation?! My guess is that it's cuz despite him maybe being a jerk or bully he has a former reputation of being a "male feminist" therefore they don't care what happens to him. ( And the truth of it is probably nothing will happen to him. There's a long history of directors who have been abusive on the set and gotten away with it).
    Ah, my bad, sorry I misunderstood. And yeah, no doubt they'll be quiet about Whedon being "cancelled" because he's not considered as being a right-leaning person in general, so like you say, if anything they're likely happy to see him being under fire.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

They sure didn't mind when James Gunn got temporarily cancelled. Him being re-hired by Disney just was just more proof to them that the libs control Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think a large portion of New Yorkers are well educated. But most are also street savvy.
    I'd argue getting into fights with people in the middle of traffic is not the most street savvy thing out there.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Brubaker / Phillips need to move to another genre.

About halfway through Reckless volume 1, I put it down. I've seen these characters and read these tropes before, multiple times, from them. I mean, they're still good comics. But after a decade and half of doomed whiteboy protagonists falling prey to their own human foibles noir, I'm ready for something new. They're a talented duo; make a sci-fi or romance or something. Just anything new.
    Ok...

That one is controversial.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I was really referring to how the grifters who love to complain about so-called "woke" Hollywood and CANCEL CULTURE haven't said much about the Whedon situation. We haven't even much of a "The Left Is Eating Itself" in regards to this. Part of me thinks it's cuz Joss is a liberal and they like seeing him get taken down a peg. The other part thinks it's cuz they all copy each other and are waiting for like GeeksandGamers or Ben Shaprio to do the first video, then everyone else will know what talking points to clone.
    Of course, Whedon has the stink of mistreating his cast and crew, plus there's even a hint of something very inappropriate with a teenage Michelle Tractenberg in the mix, so it's not really apples to apples here. Otherwise, obviously both sides love it when the enemy gets skewered and hate it when their own gets the treatment. I believe they call that human nature.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ben Sargeant is an underrated bassist.

Extraordinary Member

Indiana Jones is the greatest movie hero to never beat the bad guy by himself, so he's...cool, I guess, but not very lucky. He always needs some literal deus ex machina to win. Usually God himself helps him out, but sometimes it's Shiva or aliens. Even Han was of more material use, both for transport and for heroics, (after all, his intervention let Luke live to blow up the Death Star). Love both characters, but damn, Indy just never won by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Indiana Jones is the greatest movie hero to never beat the bad guy by himself, so he's...cool, I guess, but not very lucky. He always needs some literal deus ex machina to win. Usually God himself helps him out, but sometimes it's Shiva or aliens. Even Han was of more material use, both for transport and for heroics, (after all, his intervention let Luke live to blow up the Death Star). Love both characters, but damn, Indy just never won by himself.
    I think Indy may be the most useless main character in his own movie.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Not true, Indiana was very useful to the bad guys in every movie. He found the Ark and Grail for the Nazis, the stones for the Temple thugs and the alien ship for the Commies. Without him, they would have nothing to show.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

You know, it took me a while to realize he always "won" by having some supernatural being or alien intercede. On the plus side for him, though, it sure seems God likes him...

And Shiva. And aliens.