Page 220 of 440 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270320 ... LastLast
Results 3,286 to 3,300 of 6587
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Early? Tocqueville talk about it in the 1830s!
    I bow to your data-based wisdom (which is the opposite of the Star Wars ethos).

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I didn't. I said Star Wars provided us with one of the earliest symptoms.
    There's all sorts of anti-intellectual art that goes back at least a couple of generations before then. Heck, Stan Lee has said more than once stuff to the effect of, "I don't know anything about science, I just wrote down words that sounded good."

Even the "trust your feelings" stuff from Star Wars is fake Buddism/Hindu-ism that hipster westerners dabbled with a generation before.
    Last edited by ed2962; 05-29-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There's all sorts of anti-intellectual art that goes back at least a couple of generations before then. Heck, Stan Lee has said more than once stuff to the effect of, "I don't know anything about science, I just wrote down words that sounded good."

Even the "trust your feelings" stuff from Star Wars is fake Buddism/Hindu-ism that hipster westerners dabbled with a generation before.
    I cede. Not the earliest. Perhaps the most culturally influential in the past 50 years?

Retired

I was a full grown adult when STAR WARS came out in 1977. And I fell asleep the first time I saw it in the theatre. I did see it again and I bought the comics from Marvel. I even went to see CORVETTE SUMMER on the strength of liking Mark Hamill in STAR WARS. But I always felt it was a juvenile franchise and it had certain features that bugged me and continue to bug me. One of these is the joke that aliens and robots speak in gibberish and people understand them as if what they're saying is perfectly coherent (yet you don't see Han speaking in roars back to Chewie, or Luke speaking in whistles and clicks to R2-D2). I'm sure there are people who find this hilarious, but to me it's a joke that might work once in a movie but can't be sustained over an entire franchise. And other overly cute stuff in the movies that clashes with the supposedly serious messaging and the creation of an immersive fantasy world. I can never totally fall into the Star Wars world, because these goofy bits keep pulling me out of the fictive dream.

Speaking of Star Wars and controversial opinions, i like Revenge of the Sith better than Empire Strikes Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Speaking of Star Wars and controversial opinions, i like Revenge of the Sith better than Empire Strikes Back.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

What! ESB had Lando and Cloud City. Wampas! How can anything get better then that?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What! ESB had Lando and Cloud City. Wampas! How can anything get better then that?
    It doesn't have the high ground though.

RotS does.

RotS does.
    I get that. ROTS was more serious and had darker tones. ESB was a bit more fun to watch as it was lighter.
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-31-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

In the movie theme I think Ted 2 was way better the Ted and may have been some of Seth's best wirk.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    In the movie theme I think Ted 2 was way better the Ted and may have been some of Seth's best wirk.
    I liked Ted I better. Except for the Convention Cosplay fight, that was a scream.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Meanwhile on reservations Native Americans are saying, "Discrimination? Ha! We wish we were discriminated like you are."
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Meanwhile on reservations Native Americans are saying, "Discrimination? Ha! We wish we were discriminated like you are."
    While you are correct, this is not the time. Let's not use the injustices against one to parry thrusts at the injustices against another.

Unless that's your goal.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

RotS does.
    RotS would’ve been more fun if we had gotten just one “************” out of Mace Windu.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

You are not owed escapism by fiction. Too many people treat writers like their own personal breaks from reality. If a work isn't providing you with escapism, seek out another one (there's plenty to choose from despite all their whining there isn't) or just do something else to take your mind off the crappiness of life.

Liking escapist work doesn't make you any more moral than those that don't.