Page 323 of 440 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333373423 ... LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,845 of 6586
    Invincible Member

We're getting a remake of West Side Story by Steven Spielberg and while on one hand. I'm sure it'll be a well crafted production...on the the other hand, what's the point of setting it in the late 50's/early 60's? We already have that exact movie.

Having said that, maybe they'll be more frank with some of the language and sexual themes? It would be interesting if they use real swear words instead of "buggin'" and "ever lovin'"...I am a little curious as to how they'll handle the character of Anybodys ( Tomboy Jet) in the update.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    We're getting a remake of West Side Story by Steven Spielberg and while on one hand. I'm sure it'll be a well crafted production...on the the other hand, what's the point of setting it in the late 50's/early 60's? We already have that exact movie.

Having said that, maybe they'll be more frank with some of the language and sexual themes? It would be interesting if they use real swear words instead of "buggin'" and "ever lovin'"...I am a little curious as to how they'll handle the character of Anybodys ( Tomboy Jet) in the update.
    Spielberg said it would be more bloody, but I don't know if he mentioned sex or swear words.

Retired

I guess they have to do something to Spielberg it, to justify his name above the title. But for timeless musicals and plays, they shouldn't have to be rewritten. People want to see the genuine article--using all the dialogue and songs--because that's the thing.

National Treasure is a good series.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I guess they have to do something to Spielberg it, to justify his name above the title. But for timeless musicals and plays, they shouldn't have to be rewritten. People want to see the genuine article--using all the dialogue and songs--because that's the thing.
    While I sympathize with your position and have been a big fan of the movie since the '70s, the original is over 60 years old. A lot of things have changed film-wise since then (including the notion of casting actors like Natalie Wood to play Puerto Rican girls ). Besides, how many young people have seen the Robert Wise movie?

Hollywood has been remaking movies since silent films were still the rage. Many of the Golden Age films we revere today were not just remakes themselves, but some were even the third version produced. With that said, I'll give Spielberg a chance to succeed here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The original film made changes from the Broadway musical, and Arthur Laurents updated it in a recent revival. So what is being "rewritten" here.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

I've already seen someone online complaining that the West Side Story remake looks so-Called "woke"....

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Spielberg said it would be more bloody, but I don't know if he mentioned sex or swear words.
    Hmm...I guess I can imagine where blood might work in a couple of scenes. Just as long as Riff doesn't rip out Bernardo's beating heart from Bernardo's chest

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I've already seen someone online complaining that the West Side Story remake looks so-Called "woke"....
    Any type of media where POC take the lead is way too woke. I heard so many people yelling about Annie the other day. A black Annie! No way! Thanks alot Biden!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Any type of media where POC take the lead is way too woke. I heard so many people yelling about Annie the other day. A black Annie! No way! Thanks alot Biden!
    At least with the new Annie there's a certain logic to the complaining. But West Side Story in part has always been about racism and it was pretty upfront about it. It wasn't subtext, it's the main text. It would be like if we remade Casablanca and then someone complaining that it it's "too political" because we mentioned German occupation.

Other classics that are "too woke". To Kill a Mockingbird, Gentlemen's Agreement, In the Heat of the Night, The Defiant Ones, Porgy and Bess, Show Boat, Twelve Angry Men...why do they ruin good stories with all this liberal PC?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

It's interesting how many times The Defiant Ones has been remade both officially and un-offically,(i.e. someone ripping off the premise), both seriously and not. I want to say there's even a couple old Hulk villains, Hammer and Avil, who were inspired by the film.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    While I sympathize with your position and have been a big fan of the movie since the '70s, the original is over 60 years old. A lot of things have changed film-wise since then (including the notion of casting actors like Natalie Wood to play Puerto Rican girls ). Besides, how many young people have seen the Robert Wise movie?

Hollywood has been remaking movies since silent films were still the rage. Many of the Golden Age films we revere today were not just remakes themselves, but some were even the third version produced. With that said, I'll give Spielberg a chance to succeed here.
    It's the idea that it's advertised as Stephen Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY that hits a nerve. If it's a faithful adaptation of the play then it's not. Is it his music, his lyrics, his choreography? I hope not. I want a director that is going to serve the vision of the original creators--bringing a fresh new approach, yes, but not changing the work into something completely different so he can claim ownership. There have been a plethora of new productions of WEST SIDE STORY over the years--but they all use the original text and score--they don't make it different for the sake of being different.

After watching SCHMIGADOON!, I'm really high on Ariana DeBose, so I would like to see WEST SIDE STORY for her performance. But the publicity campaign causes me so much consternation, it's put me in a bad mood to see this adaptation of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's the idea that it's advertised as Stephen Spielberg's WEST SIDE STORY that hits a nerve.
    But are they doing that primarily to attract people who may otherwise ignore another West Side Story remake?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But are they doing that primarily to attract people who may otherwise ignore another West Side Story remake?
    You don't attach a name like that to a project and not use it in the advertising. Even if he isn't responsible for one iota of original content.
    Dark does not mean deep.