Page 143 of 439 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 6582

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I was by no means saying that up to that point 2001 is anything less than phenomenal. HAL's story alone is astonishing.
    I wasn't criticizing your comments. I was only adding a couple of other examples which further demonstrate the brilliance of the movie. This was a movie I took my bicycle to go see on the big screen and that hit me hard. Further viewings only added to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I wasn't criticizing your comments. I was only adding a couple of other examples which further demonstrate the brilliance of the movie. This was a movie I took my bicycle to go see on the big screen and that hit me hard. Further viewings only added to it.
    Thanks for explaining. Yes, I first saw it in Cinerama and have seen it maybe 18-20 times since. Always find something new or a different angle. Another amazing thing is the special effects hold up, even by today's standards,
    I realize many only saw it on their home TVs, but it's a movie that demands a big screen.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I don't know if this qualifies as controversial, but I've never seen 2001.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don't know if this qualifies as controversial, but I've never seen 2001.
    Maybe not controversial, but a loss on your part.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Opinions: Stanley Kubrick is enormously overrated, and was a terrible person. 2001 was bloated and nonsense-shite without powerful chemical assistance. The Shining is terrible, and completely missed some of the best parts of - and most of the point of - the book. Also, the abuse that Kubrick put Shelly Duvall through should have ended his career. Eyes Wide Shut is...well, it's Eyes Wide Shut...do I need to go on...?
    The general opinion of The Shining seems to be that it is a great film, but one of the worst adaptations ever made. Most people who watch it without having read the book seem to enjoy it.

Calling Eyes Wide Shut terrible isn't exactly controversial. It's generally regarded as the worst film Kubrick has directed, and possibly the worst film Kidman or Cruise have ever starred in as well - although The Mummy might have bumped it down a place in Tom's case.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    From what I can see with a quick google, he did serve time for it - albeit only 45 days. And the man's eye was damaged from his time in the war, not Wahlberg's attack.
    Yeah, I knew about this. It really is insulting, though. A slap on the wrist, really. I mean 45 days? I also knew about the eye but the way Mark Wahkberg talked about it in some of his remarks he seemed so dismissive to me. It just doesn't sit right with me. I suppose it was amazing he even got what he did I guess.

Boisterously Confused

There is no breakfast cuisine o Earth superior to a full-tilt US Southern breakfast, its only close challenger is an English Country breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There is no breakfast cuisine o Earth superior to a full-tilt US Southern breakfast, its only close challenger is an English Country breakfast.
    Only controversial to fools that don't like grits.

Boisterously Confused

I know not your gender, orientation, or preferences, but am confident that we must be soul-mates.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I'll be having some myself tomorrow morning, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Amen to that, my brother!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Yeah, I knew about this. It really is insulting, though. A slap on the wrist, really. I mean 45 days? I also knew about the eye but the way Mark Wahkberg talked about it in some of his remarks he seemed so dismissive to me. It just doesn't sit right with me. I suppose it was amazing he even got what he did I guess.
    45 days is short as prison sentences go, but the thought of even that fills me with terror. I certainly wouldn't consider it a slap on the wrist.

English Country breakfast.
    I'm English and I've never heard of that term. Is it the same as a Full English Breakfast?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I'm English and I've never heard of that term. Is it the same as a Full English Breakfast?
    It is. But I heard the term in Scotland.

I know not your gender, orientation, or preferences, but am confident that we must be soul-mates.
    My, my Mister NewGod, Ah do declare!