Page 218 of 440 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    The originals were not written with the prequels in mind. That being said, there are no significant contradictions between the two trilogies
    Ha! Oh please, just Google Star Wars prequel contradictions. The are legion.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Ha! Oh please, just Google Star Wars prequel contradictions. The are legion.
    Ha! Oh please just go watch them without googling

Ha! Oh please just go watch them without googling
    I did, a few times. Including see the OT when they first came out in the theaters. And the contradictions were apparent while watching the prequels for the first time.

How old is Obi-Wan in A New Hope? Why didn't he remember the droids? What happen to R2's rockets. How did Leia remember her mother? And on and on. It's really common knowledge that the prequels are full of contradictions with the OT.

Do me a favor, go down to the Star Wars forum and start a thread saying there are zero contradictions and the prequels the OT "fit perfectly".

I would response would be fun.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-23-2020 at 03:07 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I did, a few times. Including see the OT when they first came out in the theaters. And the contradictions were apparent while watching the prequels for the first time.

How old is Obi-Wan in A New Hope? Why didn't he remember the droids? What happen to R2's rockets. How did Leia remember her mother? And on and on. It's really common knowledge that the prequels are full of contradictions with the OT.
    And these are important because...

Invincible Member

You could write a book (somebody probably has) about all the contradiction the prequels has with the original trilogy. It's like the writer was unfamiliar with the source material. (Yeah I know both are Lucas)
    Stan Lee literally forgot the names of characters he created.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Stan Lee literally forgot the names of characters he created.
    This is true. He also didn't know Professor X should not be in love with Jean.

And these are important because...
    The are contradictions and inconsistencies. Among the ones you say do not exist.

It's okay if all of them don't bug you, but to claim there are none is quantitatively false.

BANNED

The are contradictions and inconsistencies. Among the ones you say do not exist.

It's okay if all of them don't bug you, but to claim there are none is quantitatively false.
    I didn't say they don't exist. Only that they aren't significant. They don't destroy the story of the continuity.

I didn't say they don't exist. Only that they aren't significant. They don't destroy the story of the continuity.
    For you. Not for millions of fans.

BANNED

For you. Not for millions of fans.
    Or...hundreds, maybe? Optimistically? I mean, it wasn't exactly a box office failure...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Here's a controversial opinion: Nothing Star Wars related ever made has been worthy of the amount of conversation it has caused.

The one exception is the effects in the original three movies, because those were truly game changing and literally awesome.
    I actually can understand the idea that it’s light fair and popcorn entertainment; in fact, that’s arguably been it’s greatest appeal against stuff like Star Trek or 2001: A Space Odyssey. Those latter two belong to genuine speculative fiction attempting to remain grounded to enough reality to inspire real world change or wisdom. Star Wars is meant to be escapist and entertaining...

...But that has a genuine place in media as well, and part of my problem with some professional critics and anti-escapist bias/pro-pretentious thought is that it often treats its own ideas and tastes as inherently superior... while half the time, their preferred media fades away and has little discernible impact in a manner immediately comparable to forgettable “popcorn affairs”, and often-times their more defensive protection of material that panders to them exposes just as much of a shallow palate as the populist films they sometimes decry. There’s also just that fact that works of art with sufficient staying power will inevitably join the same rank of “classic” side-by-side - “populist” and “pretentious” are merely labels that exist in the here-and-now, and whether Shakespeare was writing MacBeth for the plebs or the patricians ultimately doesn’t matter; what matters is people still *like* MacBeth.

...And in fact, I tend to think the protections and defenses in the narrative about TLJ’s reception sometimes dive bull-headedly into the same hypocritical double standards that sometimes pops up with the Best Picture winners that people forgot. I mean, *maybe* you can argue that Star Wars and its sequels have an overblown conversation and crazy fanbase... but they have more value than something like Shakespeare In Love, for instance, or all the other Oscar-bait films that get forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Star Wars fans who have never had to deal with anything like the Shatner directed Star Trek V:The Final Frontier are far too spoiled.
    Star Trek V can at least be interpreted as So Bad, It’s Good, and is worth a few good-hearted chuckles when referenced in Futurama.

...But yeah, I can see how the sheer inanity and almost hilarious train wreck that was Shatner’s “directorial vision” I something that Star Wars fans haven’t quite experienced - AOTC at least had a functional plot for its place in the Prequel Trilogy’s overall story, The Clone Wars movie was at least a functional cash-in on a pilot arc for a TV series, and at least TLJ has more focused (if crap) mix of direction and writing, while TROS at least has the minimum quality expected of a cynical marketing-mandated ending to the Saga.

Final Frontier’s the perfect storm of ridiculous script, ridiculous direction, and both of those not working together.

...I still find it a more enjoyable train wreck than TLJ, though, because at least Shatner’s more consistent in his inanity - the worship of Shatner- I mean, Kirk, of course, , means that we don’t have Shatner arguing totally opposing viewpoints with himself: his viewpoint is ridiculous, pompous, and un-self-aware, but it’s not quite a hypocritical or totally ignorant of a mistake as Rian Johnson thinking he made a feminist, anti-elitist movie.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Boisterously Confused

Or...hundreds, maybe? Optimistically? I mean, it wasn't exactly a box office failure...
    There's no quantifying either position without a carefully controlled global survey. All I can say is, for me, everything outside outside the OT is a letdown (including the pre-Disney EU, that takes itself a bit too seriously; there's some fun stories in it, but dudes, lighten up).

I have never worried about continuity when I watched The prequel trilogy. I just took them for what movies are supposed to be. Cheap entertainment that helped me kill a couple hours. They wernt as good as the original trilogy but I still had a good time with them. The sequel Trilogy was god awful and I couldnt stand it. But that is because the stories were bad. I did enjoy the EU books.

Its the same with comics. There is so much that has been put out over the years. Who cares if the current writer cant remember exactly what happened in an issue of Amazing Spiderman from 1969. If the story was fun to read that is all that matters. The rest is secondary. Besides with how writers change continuity ever few years anyway what is the point in trying to keep track of it all? Just enjoy the story. Dont get caught up over pointless details.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Bernie Taupin is the luckiest guy in Rock and Doll. Sure he writes good lyrics, but if he hadn't teamed up with one of the best composers in Rock, he would not have been the mega success he is. He doesn't have to record or tour, just write his words and have Elton turn them into hits. His net worth is around $150 mil.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Bernie Taupin is the luckiest guy in Rock and Doll. Sure he writes good lyrics, but if he hadn't teamed up with one of the best composers in Rock, he would not have been the mega success he is. He doesn't have to record or tour, just write his words and have Elton turn them into hits. His net worth is around $150 mil.
    Nice work if you can find it. But, I kinda thought Taupin was worth more than that, not like $150 million is chump change.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!