Page 183 of 194 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 2906
  1. #2731
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Chicken Parmigiana is basically the Big Mac of Italian food (which does not prevent me from loving it).
    Look at it this way...

    It is fine dining when you put it next to a Parmo.

  2. #2732
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    315

    Default

    I do not think sex sells.

  3. #2733
    Astonishing Member Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I do not think sex sells.
    The research agrees with you on this.

    Or at least it shows there's no evidence sex sells outside of products related to it, like lingerie.

  4. #2734
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    Jokes about Godwin's Law aside, despite how monstrous a leader Hitler was, I hate how constantly compare any politician/regime/administration that they don't like to him. Not only does it cheapen the memory of the true horror of what he did, doing so ignores other horrid regimes like those of Pol Pot, Mao, or the myriad different paramilitary groups of varying ideologies who have committed countless atrocities over the last few decades. Also, on some level, the real dictatorial threat these days are often not those of megalomaniacal lunatics who are loud and proud about their autocratic ways, but sneakier autocrats who often hide their true nature beneath a thin but somewhat sturdy veneer of simply preserving law and order, 'traditional values,' the reclamation of land formerly held at some point in time, and/or national sovereignty, often using tactics like open but rigged elections to create the illusion of real democracy, going after political foes by having them charged with seemingly mundane crimes like slander/libel or tax evasion that still have the effect of silencing and often tarnishing the reputation of major opponents of the regime, and using divide and conquer strategies to keep their various opponents more preoccupied with attacking each other instead of attacking the regime. I'm talking about guys like Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Xi Jinping, and Lukashenko, devious politicians who know when to bring down the hammer on opposition and when to appear to ease off, keeping both their internal and external foes in a constant state of confusion and thus often not able to mount a sustained resistance that can keep average people engaged over in an effective, protracted opposition movement.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

  5. #2735
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The research agrees with you on this.

    Or at least it shows there's no evidence sex sells outside of products related to it, like lingerie.
    But the research does admit that sex pulls attention, which is all that ad reps ask.

  6. #2736
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    But the research does admit that sex pulls attention, which is all that ad reps ask.
    And that more attractive people tend to live a more fortunate life across many areas of their lives.

  7. #2737
    Astonishing Member Tuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    But the research does admit that sex pulls attention,
    So do explosions.

  8. #2738
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    10,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    So do explosions.
    Yes, but special effects cost more.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  9. #2739
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    315

    Default

    My point being that I think you would get through to people far more often if you appealed to something other than what you think they would like.

  10. #2740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The research agrees with you on this.

    Or at least it shows there's no evidence sex sells outside of products related to it, like lingerie.
    CW's entire line-up of shows discounts this. Stephen Amell's abs were part to the cast in Arrow's early seasons.

  11. #2741
    Scarlet and Proud! Star_Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,999

    Default

    Hyperbole and anecdotes do not “win” arguments.

    Stop trying.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  12. #2742
    Scarlet and Proud! Star_Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Jokes about Godwin's Law aside, despite how monstrous a leader Hitler was, I hate how constantly compare any politician/regime/administration that they don't like to him. Not only does it cheapen the memory of the true horror of what he did, doing so ignores other horrid regimes like those of Pol Pot, Mao, or the myriad different paramilitary groups of varying ideologies who have committed countless atrocities over the last few decades. Also, on some level, the real dictatorial threat these days are often not those of megalomaniacal lunatics who are loud and proud about their autocratic ways, but sneakier autocrats who often hide their true nature beneath a thin but somewhat sturdy veneer of simply preserving law and order, 'traditional values,' the reclamation of land formerly held at some point in time, and/or national sovereignty, often using tactics like open but rigged elections to create the illusion of real democracy, going after political foes by having them charged with seemingly mundane crimes like slander/libel or tax evasion that still have the effect of silencing and often tarnishing the reputation of major opponents of the regime, and using divide and conquer strategies to keep their various opponents more preoccupied with attacking each other instead of attacking the regime. I'm talking about guys like Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Xi Jinping, and Lukashenko, devious politicians who know when to bring down the hammer on opposition and when to appear to ease off, keeping both their internal and external foes in a constant state of confusion and thus often not able to mount a sustained resistance that can keep average people engaged over in an effective, protracted opposition movement.
    I read a very interesting thought piece (which I WISH I could find again) that basically presented the notion that “white people” have propped Hitler up as this “ultimate evil”, and that that idea is a “white invention” that POC should ignore.

    No joke about it being an interesting read, btw.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  13. #2743
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Jokes about Godwin's Law aside, despite how monstrous a leader Hitler was, I hate how constantly compare any politician/regime/administration that they don't like to him. Not only does it cheapen the memory of the true horror of what he did, doing so ignores other horrid regimes like those of Pol Pot, Mao, or the myriad different paramilitary groups of varying ideologies who have committed countless atrocities over the last few decades. Also, on some level, the real dictatorial threat these days are often not those of megalomaniacal lunatics who are loud and proud about their autocratic ways, but sneakier autocrats who often hide their true nature beneath a thin but somewhat sturdy veneer of simply preserving law and order, 'traditional values,' the reclamation of land formerly held at some point in time, and/or national sovereignty, often using tactics like open but rigged elections to create the illusion of real democracy, going after political foes by having them charged with seemingly mundane crimes like slander/libel or tax evasion that still have the effect of silencing and often tarnishing the reputation of major opponents of the regime, and using divide and conquer strategies to keep their various opponents more preoccupied with attacking each other instead of attacking the regime. I'm talking about guys like Putin, Erdogan, Orban, Xi Jinping, and Lukashenko, devious politicians who know when to bring down the hammer on opposition and when to appear to ease off, keeping both their internal and external foes in a constant state of confusion and thus often not able to mount a sustained resistance that can keep average people engaged over in an effective, protracted opposition movement.
    The phenomenon of autocratic rulers applying ruthless methods to maintain absolute power goes all the way back to time immemorial, while the scale of the brutality varies by time and place, at the very least for most of these dictators the killings were primarily a means to retain control, and they were capable of enacting serious and even benevolent policies if and when the people were pacified and obedient. The Nazis were something entirely different, for them murder was not a means to an end but the goal all along. Hitler had managed to gain complete control over Germany fairly early on and his death squads mostly didn't target political opponents, but rather people who were deemed enemies by virtue of their birth, regardless of how loyal they may have been to the country or even to the Nazi regime, as many Jews were.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 07-18-2019 at 08:12 AM.

  14. #2744
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,365

    Default

    I doubt the 20th century was remotely close to being the bloodiest one hundred years in human history if you factor in the carnage as a percentage of the world population of the time.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  15. #2745
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I doubt the 20th century was remotely close to being the bloodiest one hundred years in human history if you factor in the carnage as a percentage of the world population of the time.
    With two World Wars? Dunno man. The 12th Century had the Crusaders to offer, but the scale? I'd need to see numbers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •