Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Social Media: the good, the bad, the wierd

Let's talk Social Media.

Which platforms are good? Which ones aren't? What are the pros and cons of each? What are your favorites and which ones do you stay away from?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Social Media is a cancer that encourages outrage, cancel culture, and people looking to be victims and/or special snowflakes.

Facebook at least is a plague that gives platform to trolls with "alternative news" who prey on people who are too lazy or cheap to pay for regular media. The amount of people, especially older generation, who get into anti-vax, pro-russia and similar crazyness is staggering.
    It's dangerous and should have been regulated much better a long time ago, but money rulez.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Social Media is a cancer that encourages outrage, cancel culture, and people looking to be victims and/or special snowflakes.
    I'm fairly sure that while I agree with your sentiment here, I'd disagree with specific examples you'd provide and vice versa.

I've been spending less and less time on Social Media. I hardly use Facebook, I don't have a Twitter account, no Instagram account, etc. I use Tik Tok but only to watch funny videos/ stand-up comedy.

While Social Media can facilitate great discussions, being able to catch up with friends you wouldn't catch up with otherwise, etc., there's just too much vitriol and hatred and, apart of them, it can be a complete time waster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I'm fairly sure that while I agree with your sentiment here, I'd disagree with specific examples you'd provide and vice versa.
    So what you're saying is that you agree with me.

Only if you also believe that the people who accuse most of canceling & claiming victimhood do it as much if not more often, and that Trump alone has provided examples for each of your grievances.

Only if you also believe that the people who accuse most of canceling & claiming victimhood do it as much if not more often, and that Trump alone has provided examples for each of your grievances.
    If you're saying Trump and his cronies are the bad guys, then we are on exactly the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If you're saying Trump and his cronies are the bad guys, then we are on exactly the same page.
    Ok, good to know! Most who bring these things up as issues are coming at it from the "Trump is Right!" angle. I don't think that "Cancel Culture" is anything more than a rebranding of the same **** "concerned parents" were doing when I was growing up only now liberals are ones boycotting things so it's bad.

Ok, good to know! Most who bring these things up as issues are coming at it from the "Trump is Right!" angle. I don't think that "Cancel Culture" is anything more than a rebranding of the same **** "concerned parents" were doing when I was growing up only now liberals are ones boycotting things so it's bad.
    Cancel culture is real, even Obama alluded to that:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/u...l-culture.html

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Cancel culture is real, even Obama alluded to that:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/u...l-culture.html
    And Obama can be wrong just as much as anyone else, see also Obama's relationship with weaponized drones.

And Obama can be wrong just as much as anyone else, see also Obama's relationship with weaponized drones.
    He can be wrong, obviously. I am of the opinion that he's right on this topic, though - as I am of the opinion that he's the best POTUS you've had in many decades

It's off-topic but I also don't agree with your stance on weaponized drones, e.g. here's an Ukrainian kamikaze weaponized drone:
    https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status...551562242?s=20
    Last edited by hyped78; 03-06-2023 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    He can be wrong, obviously. I am of the opinion that he's right on this topic, though - as I am of the opinion that he's the best POTUS you've had in many decades
    When he had to be forced into support for gay marriage by Joe Biden, he's still not perfect. That also has no impact on how virtually identical what's called Cancel Culture now compared to what has been fine in the past as long as it was carried out by conservatives are.

Just like Woke, Fake News, and Freedom these words mean different things when used by the right-wing now than when they were originally used and have become slogans instead of anything else.

When he had to be forced into support for gay marriage by Joe Biden, he's still not perfect. That also has no impact on how virtually identical what's called Cancel Culture now compared to what has been fine in the past as long as it was carried out by conservatives are.

Just like Woke, Fake News, and Freedom these words mean different things when used by the right-wing now than when they were originally used and have become slogans instead of anything else.
    I'm not supporting the conservatives at all and their hypocrisy is well noted. I think Cancel Culture - or whatever we want to call it - was wrong then and it's wrong now, widely speaking

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Looks like Musk's attempt to monetize API access (whatever that may mean) just broke several twitter functions at the same time, like attached images, shortened links and analytics.

Maybe he should have made big changes first, fire people later?