Page 93 of 125 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1870

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If you're talking about me, and I think you are,
    I was - but it turns out I misread ed2962's post. It was probably just the timing of that comment fitting quite well with the discussion you are having in another thread at the moment.

then you're welcome to think that comics writers can and should be allowed to tell the publishers and the editors, "I won't do this. No sir, I'm going to do that instead."

That would be fine on Bizarro World, or in a fanboy's dream world. But not on this planet. Nobody gets to do that here unless he's on top of the chain of command or owns the business. Not even your favorite writer gets to do it. And if he does, then the company is being mismanaged. You have to be able to tell a guy, "There's the door." If you can't do that, then you're not in charge. You're a puppet. The people you're "managing" are in charge of you.
    I actually don't disagree with you. I think anyone in any job should be allowed to say "I won't do this", but I don't think they should be able to keep the job after doing so. This applies to both freelancers and employees.

Where my disagreement with you lies is your apparent (correct me if I'm wrong) beliefs that
    A - Creators do necessarily throw their weight around too much.
    B - They do this to selfishly hog the good artists for themselves.
    C - The management should be quite so dictatorial and actually know better than the talent.

Clearly the management can and do have the final say (and the creator can leave if they don't like it), but I see the whole thing as more of a discussion where all parties have the same end-game - to produce the best comics they can. If a writer knows that a particular artist is suited to the feel they're going for - or they just have a great rapport with that artists, then the management should be receptive to that - even if they don't ultimately agree.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Is that what the other poster actually said? Is there a single post where he said those words? Or we in Mind-Reading Land again? I can't remember a single CBR member uttering words to that effect, either here or on the DC board.

You're jumping the gun, imagining opinions and intent from other posters that isn't there, and ultimately debating a point with yourself more than anyone else again.
    Nah, Trey was right.

BANNED

Comics are the only industry I know of where customers brag about being old and think that makes them desirable.

Comics are the only industry I know of where customers brag about being old and think that makes them desirable.
    Should black comics use so much profanity in their acts?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Black comedians don't have the market cornered on using profanity in their acts.

Ultimate Member

Speaking of comedians, there's a number of reasons to dislike Steve Harvey, but calling him gay is not legit criticism.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Bill Cosby didn’t, and, in his day, he was hilarious when he did stand up. Of course, the revelations of his having been a scumbag abuser of women makes admitting I liked the Cos damn hard.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Being a scumbag doesn't mean he wasn't funny. He was a very skilled comedian. His awfulness as a human doesn't change or lessen that fact.

Are you referring to the comic book industry? If so, I'm not sure what you're point is.
    If you're referring to comedians, then I'm even less sure.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

"Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown

"By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Are you referring to the comic book industry? If so, I'm not sure what you're point is.
    If you're referring to comedians, then I'm even less sure.
    I think Trey was talking about comic book fans. I'm sure he's referring to the fact that many folks refer to themselves as long term fans when they are complaining about some "new" thing the big 2 are doing to try to get new readers.

He's not 100% percent wrong. The mainstream comic industry can't survive ( at least not in it's current form) by catering only to a rapidly aging and rapidly shrinking audience of middle aged people.
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-15-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Being a scumbag doesn't mean he wasn't funny. He was a very skilled comedian. His awfulness as a human doesn't change or lessen that fact.
    Back in the day my mom would buy comedy albums of the TV stars like Flip Wilson and Bill Cosby. She innocently bought a Redd Foxx album. That one didn't stay in the house long.
    (Those of you that have heard his stand up act know what I mean)

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Back in the day my mom would buy comedy albums of the TV stars like Flip Wilson and Bill Cosby. She innocently bought a Redd Foxx album. That one didn't stay in the house long.
    (Those of you that have heard his stand up act know what I mean)
    Yep. My friend had one of Redd's albums back in the '70s and kind of blew my pre-teen mind.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yep. My friend had one of Redd's albums back in the '70s and kind of blew my pre-teen mind.
    I was the same way with Richard Pryor albums.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Black comedians don't have the market cornered on using profanity in their acts.
    Yeah.

I think Ricky Gervais, Mike Carling, Greg Davies, Jack Whitehall, Jimmy Carr etc would agree with you.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I was the same way with Richard Pryor albums.
    Pryor was the king of stand-up albums, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362