Page 214 of 226 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 3380
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The Japanese didn't care because their used to it. Apathy doesnt make it right. And its people rightly getting offended at Hollywood fucking up again.

The Japanese don't have to care because they don't have issue making films or tv shows starring themselves.

As for Hollywood screwing up again-the gripe was based on the fact so many POC have been passed over for roles for being POC.

Since we never saw the casting calls-we don't know how many Asians bothered to try out. Because not all cast calls are equal. Two of Arjay Smith's famous roles were meant for white males and he was the only black person who tried out. Max on TNT Perception and Allen in Nickelodeon's Journey of Allen Strange.

We don't know how many battles the casting crew had with the finance folks over who they chose. Look at what Marlon Wayans had to do to get cast in Requiem for a Dream. The studio did not want him in that film.

I do have a question some of those folks upset over that casting where probably the same ones who went nuts of John Boyega in Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We don't know how many battles the casting crew had with the finance folks over who they chose. Look at what Marlon Wayans had to do to get cast in Requiem for a Dream. The studio did not want him in that film.
    Although to be fair, I'd probably have been very resistant to the idea of casting Marlon Wayans in anything that was supposed to be serious - as I still have trouble seeing him as something other than the poorly placed comic relief character.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Although to be fair, I'd probably have been very resistant to the idea of casting Marlon Wayans in anything that was supposed to be serious - as I still have trouble seeing him as something other than the poorly placed comic relief character.
    Marlon was really good in that movie. I'm actually really disappointed that he didn't take on more serious roles after that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    No one in Japan cared. Japanese audiences liked her. The director of the original anime liked her. The owner of the IP liked her.

It was a case of white Westerners getting offended on behalf of people who weren't offended.
    Well, of course no one in Japan cared...they have the original and the source material. There's any number of foreign remakes and imitations of American movies that we don't care about. I don't hate the movie, but I sorta get some of the criticism. Let's say Japan does a remake of The Godfather. It's still the story of an Italian mob family set in New York, but now Sonny is played by an Asian actor. You can make it work story-wise, and Americans in America probably won't care, but if you're an american watching it in Japan, you might give it the side eye...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, of course no one in Japan cared...they have the original and the source material. There's any number of foreign remakes and imitations of American movies that we don't care about. I don't hate the movie, but I sorta get some of the criticism. Let's say Japan does a remake of The Godfather. It's still the story of an Italian mob family set in New York, but now Sonny is played by an Asian actor. You can make it work story-wise, and Americans in America probably won't care, but if you're an american watching it in Japan, you might give it the side eye...
    Although one difference is that Japan is a very homogenous country, whereas in the US we not only have loads of people from nearly every ethnic group on the planet, we also have a history of not wanting to give them representation. If we were missing either one of those two things it wouldn't get as much notice when it happens.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

It's interesting how well comedians can sometimes pull off a dramatic role. Adam Sandlers recent performance in Uncut Gems for example. Many actors who began in comedy branched out into drama. Michael Keaton, Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx could be counted in that group.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It's interesting how well comedians can sometimes pull off a dramatic role. Adam Sandlers recent performance in Uncut Gems for example. Many actors who began in comedy branched out into drama. Michael Keaton, Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx could be counted in that group.

You forgot to add Robin Williams. He did a couple really good drama roles. One Hour Photo is my favorite of all of his movies comedy or drama.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Pull List - Lois Lane, Amazing Mary Jane, Black Cat, Doctor Doom, Gwen Stacy, Jane Foster Valkyrie, Morbius Savage Avengers, Strike Force, Something Is Killing The Children

Baby Blob's Comic Blog - https://sites.google.com/view/my-comic-journey/home Updates every Wednesday at 10 Am and Saturday at 7 Pm.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Let's say Japan does a remake of The Godfather. It's still the story of an Italian mob family set in New York, but now Sonny is played by an Asian actor. You can make it work story-wise, and Americans in America probably won't care, but if you're an american watching it in Japan, you might give it the side eye...
    As a Sicilian, I say they can do whatever they want to that f#&$ing movie.

Thing's created enough white Riley Freemans already.

Extraordinary Member

And that is what he said he was told by the casting department in his first audition.

So he went back a second time dressed up as a crackhead and I think (because the interview he talked about this was I want to say before Little Man or White Chicks in Complex magazine-I have the magazine in storage somewhere) he didn't bathe and slept on the floor before going back.

Of note if anyone watched the final season of The Wayans Brother-Marlon's character had to audition for a film and was stoned when he did it. I think that scene was the reason someone from that film wanted him.

He got the role. A role that got in way of another movie he was doing-Dungeon & Dragons. I want to say for Requiem for a Dream-a lot of the stuff you saw of him in that film was done in one take because he had to go finish Dungeon & Dragons.

And don't forget Marlon Wayans was suppose to Robin in Batman Returns & Forever. He was paid for both and there was a suit made for him.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And that is what he said he was told by the casting department in his first audition.

So he went back a second time dressed up as a crackhead and I think (because the interview he talked about this was I want to say before Little Man or White Chicks in Complex magazine-I have the magazine in storage somewhere) he didn't bathe and slept on the floor before going back.

Of note if anyone watched the final season of The Wayans Brother-Marlon's character had to audition for a film and was stoned when he did it. I think that scene was the reason someone from that film wanted him.

He got the role. A role that got in way of another movie he was doing-Dungeon & Dragons. I want to say for Requiem for a Dream-a lot of the stuff you saw of him in that film was done in one take because he had to go finish Dungeon & Dragons.

And don't forget Marlon Wayans was suppose to Robin in Batman Returns & Forever. He was paid for both and there was a suit made for him.
    Batman would have helped his career massively.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Batman would have helped his career massively.
    An early draft of batman Returns had the scene he would have been in.

I have never seen the movie so correct me if this was in the film. There was some chase seen into a scrap yard by Batman & Penguin's goons.

Marlon is working on a car there and eventually helps Batman. Batman is about to ask him his name when Marlon pulls a Batman disappearing act. Batman drives off and we see Marlon gong back to work. You would notice a R on his outfit that was in Robin's colors.

Now he says there was a costume made. I wonder how far did they get in that before writing him out.

Standing Member

With one big exception, I get a lot more joy from the White Album than Sgt. Pepper's. Listening to each album (as I've been doing), I realized this. Sgt. Pepper's is interesting with all its experiments, but for pure good songs to listen to, I have to go with the double white. Also on the double white, Paul, George and Ringo seem to be having a good time--John not so much.
    “Th-th-th-that's all folks!”

If I hear one more company come out with an ad that says we are not in in the ________ Business we are in the people business I am going to lose my freaking mind.

I mean it is nice that some companies are letting people put off payments. But they are not doing that to help people. If they were they would not be making such a big deal on ads about how caring and helpful they are. These companies know they are going to get their money in the long run. But by making these ads they are trying to attract new costumers by being the goodwill people.

My aunt got a car about six months ago. Her car company is letting people put off payments. I think man thats great. But it turns out it is only good for people who bought a care in the last 60 days or for people who want to buy a new car now. No help for older costumers.

They did tell her she could miss April's payment but there would be a 15 percent late fee. And if April's payment with late fee is not made in May along with May's payment they could take the care. Thank god they are in the people business.

I know a company cant have everyone not making payments but if they were really the good will people they would work with her but they are not.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-09-2020 at 06:07 AM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Pull List - Lois Lane, Amazing Mary Jane, Black Cat, Doctor Doom, Gwen Stacy, Jane Foster Valkyrie, Morbius Savage Avengers, Strike Force, Something Is Killing The Children

Baby Blob's Comic Blog - https://sites.google.com/view/my-comic-journey/home Updates every Wednesday at 10 Am and Saturday at 7 Pm.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    With one big exception, I get a lot more joy from the White Album than Sgt. Pepper's. Listening to each album (as I've been doing), I realized this. Sgt. Pepper's is interesting with all its experiments, but for pure good songs to listen to, I have to go with the double white. Also on the double white, Paul, George and Ringo seem to be having a good time--John not so much.
    Which is the big exception?

Not sure which of those two albums I prefer, they are quite different projects conceptually. I probably prefer Rubber Soul to both of them though.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Which is the big exception?

Not sure which of those two albums I prefer, they are quite different projects conceptually. I probably prefer Rubber Soul to both of them though.
    I would guess it's Revolution #9, which was a Yoko art experiment. Very few don't skip it to get to Ringo's "Goodnight".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!