Page 158 of 440 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208258 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I feel like everything is blamed on sjw (social justice warriors). A group that's too broad to put in a box (like feminism). Also a group which rarely gets along, or have the same interests ��
    Its a buzzword for right wing assholes to rail against the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Its a buzzword for right wing assholes to rail against the world.
    Yeah, I just immediately write off anyone who insults people using "SJW". No one who does that has anything worth hearing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Yeah, I just immediately write off anyone who insults people using "SJW". No one who does that has anything worth hearing to say.
    It is amazing how that phrase SJW got turn from something good to something bad. I am still taken back that fighting for Social Justice is bad thing but I get how overzealous people ruined it.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is amazing how that phrase SJW got turn from something good to something bad. I am still taken back that fighting for Social Justice is bad thing but I get how overzealous people ruined it.
    It's an effort to trivialize issues whose resolutions inconvenience the comfortable.

I use the term SJW to refer to my own actions at times. The only flaw with that is my use is often self-congratulatory.

Terms and names can be a double edged sword. If the intention is do downgrade and insult a group, then whatever name is used for them will be made an insult by many. Do we throw the word or phrase out and use another, or do we use it in the way it was intended?

My understanding is that the term was originally intended to criticize overzealous people. But once a term is released into the internet, it tends to lose its original meaning and get interpreted differently by different people.

The internet has also done this with strawman, gaslight, Mary Sue, ludonarrative dissonance, and meme (and probably 1000 other words).

I think Gaslight had more or less stayed right. Its someone tricking you by insinuating your wrong via fabricating evidence rhat agrees with the false narrative they've created. Then using this to insinuate your crazy or a radical etc

Ie : The white house repeatedly claims its not supporting white supremacists, shows evidence (bad evidence but evidence) but then supports them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I think Gaslight had more or less stayed right.
    I've seen it used to simply mean someone is making an untruthful denial.

If I push someone into traffic and later deny to the cops I did it, it's not gaslighting. If I try to convince the guy I pushed that he tripped, it is.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Reddit has become a dumpster fire of censorship, and it's not as fun to go to anymore. And the less I say about tumblr the better.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It's an effort to trivialize issues whose resolutions inconvenience the comfortable.
    I think you're both right.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Reddit has become a dumpster fire of censorship, and it's not as fun to go to anymore. And the less I say about tumblr the better.
    Censorship is neccesary, execution on the otherhand is always up in the air.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Speaking of websites TVTropes is terrible with passive aggressive censorship too. They became the exact same thing they hate....Wikipedia.

Now you have large sections of articles, and examples cut because someone felt like their toes was stepped on. Sure some of the cutting made since because of editing wars. But gradually it just became about people getting rid of things they just don't like. Mixed in with editors who just don't want to be bothered I guess. For example, the article that analyzes the 2010 decade has been basically butchered and dumb down. Getting rid of most of the specific sociopolitical current events examples that were mentioned. That's just one example, others are We ARE Struggling Together, Flame Wars, Broken Base (which was infuriating, cause I created that entry. They redefined MY article just so they could start cutting examples they didn't like). There's more but I'm keeping it brief.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    My understanding is that the term was originally intended to criticize overzealous people. But once a term is released into the internet, it tends to lose its original meaning and get interpreted differently by different people.
    It was originally a badge of honour that the social justice activists called themselves. Right-wingers coopted it for their own use.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    It was originally a badge of honour that the social justice activists called themselves. Right-wingers coopted it for their own use.
    I can see self-identifying in defiance of the term being used as a pejorative, but unironically applying the term to oneself without the preexisting negative meaning is one of the dorkiest things I have ever heard of.

I did an admittedly cursory search . . . I got several different etymologies. Part of the problem seems to be the term popping up sort of on its own from time to time prior to an agreed-upon usage.

In short, who knows?

The internet's a disaster and the Russians know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    SJW is just a new derogatory term for people who used to be called dirty hippies. Except the hippies were right about most things.
    So are SJWs