Page 268 of 440 FirstFirst ... 168218258264265266267268269270271272278318368 ... LastLast
Results 4,006 to 4,020 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Yeah. The soldier aspect that a lot of superheroes had seems to have been emphasized recently

They're literally beings fighting in a war.
    I do not mind action heavy Superheroes. I read to see Batman slap the crap out of the Joker not debate him. I do enjoy the light hearted lets help and find another way stories from time to time. But I would be bored if that was all it is. Batman is in a war, he is not a social worker.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

The Mummy Returns, Mission Impossible 2, and the Hobbit trilogy are awesome movies.

Both Lobdell and Alan Davis' respective X-men runs are fantastic.

Greg Land, Joe Mad, and Mike Turner are great artists.

There hasn't been a single great Superman movie.

New Batman Adventures cartoon (red skies) was way better than BTAS. Nothing beats the emotional roller coasters that are Old Wounds and Over the Edge. And Nightwing's theme song absolutely slaps!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I do not mind action heavy Superheroes. I read to see Batman slap the crap out of the Joker not debate him. I do enjoy the light hearted lets help and find another way stories from time to time. But I would be bored if that was all it is. Batman is in a war, he is not a social worker.
    Ehh, just because he's in a battle doesn't make it a war.

I really feel like American media likes to keep villains past their expiration dates.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Ehh, just because he's in a battle doesn't make it a war.

I really feel like American media likes to keep villains past their expiration dates.
    Of course we do. But we are never going to see an Era that does not play The Joker heavy. because he sells. Why stop using him when he sells?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

A couple of conversations that sum up the comic industry right now.

"Hey boss. I have a great idea for a villain. he has a great back story, cool new powers, and a great hook. And they estimate it will sell about 45,000 copies."
    "How many copies did the last Batman book with The Joker sell?"
    "45,002 copies."
    "Go with Joker."

On the fan side.

"I am getting sick of the same villains and gimmicks to sell comics." Looks at rack at the comic book store.
    "HOLY ****! A summer event with The Joker?! 6 variant covers? 16 tie in with other DC books including heroes who have nothing to do with The Joker or Gotham City! What they have Variants too! GOD DAMN I HAVE TO HAVE THEM ALL!!!!!"
    "And Wow A symbiote event? They better still have that Namor tie in left or there will be Hell to pay!"

Comic fans including myself do not really want a change from the status Quo. if we did then the sales would reflect that but they really long term do not. So the Comic companies have no reason to change and use villains and the same tired gimmicks past their expiration dates. Because so far there has been no expiration date. Sure we will bitch and moan but we will buy.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-20-2021 at 04:31 PM.

"Hey boss. I have a great idea for a villain. he has a great back story, cool new powers, and a great hook. And they estimate it will sell about 45,000 copies."
    "45,002 copies."
    "Go with Joker."

On the fan side.

"I am getting sick of the same villains and gimmicks to sell comics." Looks at rack at the comic book store.
    "HOLY ****! A summer event with The Joker?! 6 variant covers? 16 tie in with other DC books including heroes who have nothing to do with The Joker or Gotham City! What they have Variants too! GOD DAMN I HAVE TO HAVE THEM ALL!!!!!"
    "And Wow A symbiote event? They better still have that Namor tie in left or there will be Hell to pay!"

Comic fans including myself do not really want a change from the status Quo. if we did then the sales would reflect that but they really long term do not. So the Comic companies have no reason to change and use villains and the same tired gimmicks past their expiration dates. Because so far there has been no expiration date. Sure we will bitch and moan but we will buy.
    Is the industry listening to the comic book fans? Maybe. That is why most customers of the comic books are middle-aged fanboys living in their mom's basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Is the industry listening to the comic book fans? Maybe. That is why most customers of the comic books are middle-aged fanboys living in their mom's basement.
    I live in my dads so that blows that sterotype out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    There hasn't been a single great Superman movie.
    Is it possible that Superman, the Movie is looked upon better by those of us (like me) who saw it on the big screen during its initial release?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Is it possible that Superman, the Movie is looked upon better by those of us (like me) who saw it on the big screen during its initial release?
    It's a very good movie for the time, but it is very dated. It doesn't hold up as well as one might think it should.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Invincible Member

"45,002 copies."
    "Go with Joker."

On the fan side.

A lot of this though is the Big 2 gaming the direct market. If your store normally orders say 10 copies of Spiderboy, but last month they ordered 50 copies because of the variants, I guarantee you 50 new fans have not bought all those copies. Maybe your store sold 15. The rest will sit on the shelf for months, until the mgr gives and moves them.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's a very good movie for the time, but it is very dated. It doesn't hold up as well as one might think it should.
    "Damn, Jim! That suit is FLY!!"

Retired

Please get it right--

"Say, Jim, whoo!"

"Excuse me."

"That's a bad outfit!"

--I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There are many older movies young people don't find as interesting as we older cinema lovers do.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think it’s the third act that it runs into issues. It has been a very long time since I watched it, but I remember the front half of it being quite enjoyable.

Science-fiction movies particularly badly age: the capacity to get absorbed by the movie depends on the quality of the special effects. And the audience becomes blasé very quickly.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe