Page 172 of 439 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 6583
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What about people like Trump, who are both stupid and full of malice. Sometimes it's hard to figure out which attribute is cause for his actions.
    Trump proves that incompetence and maliciousness isn't mutually exclusive. Imo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    For me, its the Big Apple Razor. "Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which is adequately explained by being a New Yorker."
    Hey!

He eats pizza with a fork and knife. I feel like he's some cosmic oddity where he's a transplant who was somehow born here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Hey!

He eats pizza with a fork and knife. I feel like he's some cosmic oddity where he's a transplant who was somehow born here.
    Hahaha, love that, thanks for the chuckle
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Republicans are far more united around white supremacy than Democrats are united around anti-racism. And that's why a lot of things don't change.

GOP: *methodically stripping away human rights while moving the nation further toward white nationalist fascism*

The white Democratic leadership response: I have a black friend named Barack as well as Republican friends and I think we can all get along just fine

Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 05-17-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Republicans are far more united around white supremacy than Democrats are united around anti-racism. And that's why a lot of things don't change.

GOP: *methodically stripping away human rights while moving the nation further toward white nationalist fascism*

The white Democratic leadership response: I have a black friend named Barack as well as Republican friends and I think we can all get along just fine
    LOUDER FOR THE WHITE LIBERAL/"CENTRISTS IN THE BACKGROUND!!!

Also voters move the DNC towards policy. GOP dictates policy to its voters

Point being: What the Dem voter wants is not and has rarely been what the DNC wants at the institutional level. It's been so since '68'. Further more, Dems tend to coddle racist centrists voters too.

Ultimate Member

https://twitter.com/ryanla24/status/1129092771510272000

How did Rockstar put this in GTA 5 and NO ONE noticed it until now?

A little bit too real.

Franklin is being attacked by rednecks near a cop. The player run in front of the cop and Franklin is attacked. Franklin fights back and the COP joins in. Before popping the redneck.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    LOUDER FOR THE WHITE LIBERAL/"CENTRISTS IN THE BACKGROUND!!!

Also voters move the DNC towards policy. GOP dictates policy to its voters

Point being: What the Dem voter wants is not and has rarely been what the DNC wants at the institutional level. It's been so since '68'. Further more, Dems tend to coddle racist centrists voters too.
    At the end of the day, the coastal and urban "latte liberal" set are probably the greatest beneficiaries of white supremacy, since they were able to attend well-funded predominantly white schools and use that education to achieve comfortable lives in predominantly white enclaves in otherwise diverse metropolitan areas. Racial injustice might offend their personal sensibilities and they will argue vehemently, if ineffectually, for equality and fairness, but at the end of the day they're not going to willingly break up a system that had so well served their socioeconomic interests.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    At the end of the day, the coastal and urban "latte liberal" set are probably the greatest beneficiaries of white supremacy, since they were able to attend well-funded predominantly white schools and use that education to achieve comfortable lives in predominantly white enclaves in otherwise diverse metropolitan areas. Racial injustice might offend their personal sensibilities and they will argue vehemently, if ineffectually, for equality and fairness, but at the end of the day they're not going to willingly break up a system that had so well served their socioeconomic interests.
    I don't disagree with that, I still think working class whites has the same disposition towards race. Probably the only commonality they have in common. The latter is just in another income bracket.

The problem with racism is really the concept of race itself. Its a construct born of tribalism, serves no purpose other than that.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The problem with racism is really the concept of race itself. Its a construct born of tribalism, serves no purpose other than that.
    The thing is, white people are largely responsible for creating the modern conception of race and greatly exploited it for their own benefit time and time again, but now that it's no longer useful to them they want to toss it aside and pretend like nothing happened. It's like if I went around stealing from everyone else, and then after I have all of your stuff, I declare that stealing is immoral and no one should do it anymore. Sure it's the right thing to say, but it's still hypocritical of me to say it.

The thing is, white people are largely responsible for creating the modern conception of race and greatly exploited it for their own benefit time and time again, but now that it's no longer useful to them they want to toss it aside and pretend like nothing happened. It's like if I went around stealing from everyone else, and then after I have all of your stuff, I declare that stealing is immoral and no one should do it anymore. Sure it's the right thing to say, but it's still hypocritical of me to say it.
    The problem with this mindset is that if you're calling it hypocritical, you're criticizing them for TRYING to change for the better. At what point do you move on? Adding to that and saying that you have to make up for what happened in the past also punishes people that had nothing to do with what happened in the past.

I have seen conservatives use the "race doesn't really exist" argument to criticize Black people for having a cultural identity based on being black. Basically trying to invalidate their history of being oppressed because of their color and place of origin.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The problem with this mindset is that if you're calling it hypocritical, you're criticizing them for TRYING to change for the better. At what point do you move on? Adding to that and saying that you have to make up for what happened in the past also punishes people that had nothing to do with what happened in the past.
    Even if all racism didn't exist anymore, the legacy of past actions runs deep and is manifested in many forms of structural inequality that won't simply go away, and fixing all of that will be a long and difficult process especially because racism absolutely has NOT ended and is in many ways getting worse nowadays. And simply reminding people of the true history of this country isn't punishing anyone, opening people's eyes to the painful reality instead of just allowing them to believe a comforting lie is ultimately going to benefit them in the long run.

Now with all that being said, it is a bit troubling that a lot of identity based movements are really just about co-opting the privileges of white men for their own specific group rather than working toward a more equitable and just society generally. And the push for "intersectionality" is usually disingenuous as well, since it often boils down to trying to press gang diverse groups into adding the weight of their numbers toward a singular cause, even if that cause doesn't really serve the interests of most of those groups.

Invincible Member

Even if all racism didn't exist anymore, the legacy of past actions runs deep and is manifested in many forms of structural inequality that won't simply go away, and fixing all of that will be a long and difficult process especially because racism absolutely has NOT ended and is in many ways getting worse nowadays. And simply reminding people of the true history of this country isn't punishing anyone, opening people's eyes to the painful reality instead of just allowing them to believe a comforting lie is ultimately going to benefit them in the long run.

Now with all that being said, it is a bit troubling that a lot of identity based movements are really just about co-opting the privileges of white men for their own specific group rather than working toward a more equitable and just society generally. And the push for "intersectionality" is usually disingenuous as well, since it often boils down to trying to press gang diverse groups into adding the weight of their numbers toward a singular cause, even if that cause doesn't really serve the interests of most of those groups.
    I disagree that that's what's intersectionality is about. It's more that a person not just one thing, there's several aspects of what makes up their identity. It's not just either class or race or gender, it's all those things combined. For instance, a person isn't just a white male...they might also be poor and/or gay and/or Jewish. Depending on the environment, how these things overlap may affect how that person either struggles or navigates through society.