Page 347 of 438 FirstFirst ... 247297337343344345346347348349350351357397 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 6570

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The problem with this it will ONLY work with federally funded campaigns. If you have keep having new people run, those with the most money behind them will usually win and the big money will keep getting their person in office.
    I would rather have a career politician whose voting record I know than people who serve 4 to 8 years and then go on to a lucrative life because they served their wealthy masters.
    Plus, wouldn't you sometimes prefer experienced people in office who know how things work rather than every few years getting newbies who have no clue as to what's going on, only to have them forced out of that position by the time they finally have a handle on how everything works?

Besides, we do have "term limits": it's called ELECTIONS.
    Just because some people are too lazy to actually go and vote bad politicians out of office when they're up for re-election is no need to put in place laws / rules limiting how long a good, effective politician can stay in office.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Plus, wouldn't you sometimes prefer experienced people in office who know how things work rather than every few years getting newbies who have no clue as to what's going on, only to have them forced out of that position by the time they finally have a handle on how everything works?

Just because some people are too lazy to actually go and vote bad politicians out of office when they're up for re-election is no need to put in place laws / rules limiting how long a good, effective politician can stay in office.
    Yes, because that's working out SO well...

So, no, I wouldn't want those people, if the price is a permanent elite political class with no contact with or understanding of real people and their concerns.

And a permanent incumbent has such huge advantages that in some cases they could literally get away with murder and still get re-elected. So no, that's not really a brake on terms. Witness that many in Congress, or indeed the current President, have never worked a real job in their lives, or haven't done so in many decades. So the election thing doesn't work.

The Founders, for what it's worth to people these days, don't seem to have intended for people to be in political office for their entire working lives, but rather to serve for a limited time, and then go back to their lives, allowing other people with fresh ideas to come into the job.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, because that's working out SO well...

So, no, I wouldn't want those people, if the price is a permanent elite political class with no contact with or understanding of real people and their concerns.

And a permanent incumbent has such huge advantages that in some cases they could literally get away with murder and still get re-elected. So no, that's not really a brake on terms. Witness that many in Congress, or indeed the current President, have never worked a real job in their lives, or haven't done so in many decades. So the election thing doesn't work.

The Founders, for what it's worth to people these days, don't seem to have intended for people to be in political office for their entire working lives, but rather to serve for a limited time, and then go back to their lives, allowing other people with fresh ideas to come into the job.
    If we implemented your plan without doing as Kirby suggested we’d end up with maintaining the elite donor class we have now while giving them access and influence over inexperienced temps with unknown opinions and standards as Majorhoy suggested.
    It seems like a better idea to change the rules that enable politicians to game the system than to simply replace the politicians every few years.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 01-21-2022 at 04:45 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Eletronic Arts deserves to be repeatedly criticized as exactly what they are which is an evil company since they lie about improving themselves which is worse than if they just stated they aren't going to change. Undeniably them laying off 350 employees is irrefutable a way for them to keep profits high.
    Also, they decided to make more money from multiplayer titles including better gear and better guns that a customer has to pay for with cash or the player needs to invest hours to acquire those advantages. Also A Star Wars game that had more loot boxes and incentivized microtransactions.

It really isn't hyperbole to call Electronic Arts the real-life OCP with the flaws I described for them even though I know OCP is the Big Business Corporation in the Robocop Universe. Below is an article about why EA is known as an awful company.

https://www.slashgear.com/ea-doesnt-...-why-13583797/

BANNED

Sure bud, most big companies are sort of morally not-great. It's how they got to be big companies. They have to skirt the line between not-great and illegal (and if paying fines and lawyers fees to keep them out of real trouble is cheaper than doing the right thing, illegal's on the table). You could say the same thing about Disney, but they have people's childhood by the b###s so people have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to their evil. Take a long, hard look at any big brand you're aware of and you're likely to find a lot of things that would make you want to boycott them. EA's a small fish in that pond, and a few hundred layoffs or continuous micro-transactions is small change in the big picture. Still d##k moves, but relatively speaking I don't think they're in danger of buying a city and policing it with killer robots. That's your Disneys or Amazons.

I didn’t think this was controversial, but it’s looking like it is more and more: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I didn’t think this was controversial, but it’s looking like it is more and more: beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Sure, is there anything in particular that made you post this?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Isn't that discriminating against people who are vision-impaired?

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I have never heard a single terrible catchphrase

I have never heard a single terrible catchphrase
    Did I do that?

Locked threads should have a “best reply” pinned.

Extraordinary Member

Now we will never unfortunately know what Meatloaf won't do for love.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

We've had "experienced people" who "know how things work" who have wound up screwing things up magnificently. so no, it's not a particular attraction. As for money, have the Federal government fund all Presidential and Congressional elections to the exact same amount for each type, with no more money allowed. Reid, who never held a non government job of any consequence in his life died as a multi-millionaire. Nancy Pelosi is desperately trying to hold on the her family's major source of income; securities whose fortune she has a direct influence over. Maxine Watters has a net worth far in excess of what her salary over the years has been.

Basically, we get bad, corrupt government from this, We have people who've lived their whole lives screwing over the public for huge amounts of money, now we should see government start to work like it's supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Eletronic Arts deserves to be repeatedly criticized as exactly what they are which is an evil company since they lie about improving themselves which is worse than if they just stated they aren't going to change. Undeniably them laying off 350 employees is irrefutable a way for them to keep profits high.
    Also, they decided to make more money from multiplayer titles including better gear and better guns that a customer has to pay for with cash or the player needs to invest hours to acquire those advantages. Also A Star Wars game that had more loot boxes and incentivized microtransactions.

It really isn't hyperbole to call Electronic Arts the real-life OCP with the flaws I described for them even though I know OCP is the Big Business Corporation in the Robocop Universe. Below is an article about why EA is known as an awful company.

https://www.slashgear.com/ea-doesnt-...-why-13583797/
    So, I guess Electronic Arts is the Nickleback of video game companies.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe