Page 274 of 439 FirstFirst ... 174224264270271272273274275276277278284324374 ... LastLast
Results 4,096 to 4,110 of 6582

That is controversial! I mean, I liked both, but Ezri got a lot of hate ... to be expected, when you're replacing a fan favorite, but yeah...
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I like Ezri Dax better then Jadzia Dax!
    Dax on Dax action...oh momma!

Retired

KILL BILL is a remake of François Truffaut's THE BRIDE WORE BLACK (1968), starring Jeanne Moreau. I suggest watching that to get the plot.

Tarantino is a French New Wave fan--thus the name of his production company--A Band Apart--from Godard's great movie, BANDE À PART (1964).

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Dax on Dax action...oh momma!
    Throw Seven of Nine in there and you have a Hell of a Friday night!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Eh, here’s a Star Trek related one: Deep Space 9 was the greatest heir to the cerebral, high concept idealism of Rodenberry’s Star Trek *because* it was willing to challenge that idealism and justify it. While other Star Trek shows may use DS9’s willingness to challenge the status quo as an excuse to act out on their part, DS9 was actually much more akin to TOS in terms of its mix of idealism with reality.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Eh, here’s a Star Trek related one: Deep Space 9 was the greatest heir to the cerebral, high concept idealism of Rodenberry’s Star Trek *because* it was willing to challenge that idealism and justify it. While other Star Trek shows may use DS9’s willingness to challenge the status quo as an excuse to act out on their part, DS9 was actually much more akin to TOS in terms of its mix of idealism with reality.
    I will agree with this. Look at how they handled greed with Quark, Sex (Quark talking about what the Holosuites are really used for) and Quark again trying to blackmail his Dabo girls into sex, Dax and Worf and their little sex jokes, violence in the form of war, The masque episodes pointing out that people who live on the fringes of the Federation do not have this paradise life, religion vs Science in the form of the Prophets, and racism in the great episode Far beyond the Stars with Bennie Sisko.

And I think this show had more character evolution then any other show. Kira going from being angry all the time to just mildly pissed off, watching Jake and Nog grow up and become the men they are, Though I liked nog's story more as he grew a lot more as a character then Jake I think. Sisko going from hating the Emissary to embracing the role.

it is by far not only the best Star Terk but did a much better job at handling issues then the others.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I will agree with this. Look at how they handled greed with Quark, Sex (Quark talking about what the Holosuites are really used for) and Quark again trying to blackmail his Dabo girls into sex, Dax and Worf and their little sex jokes, violence in the form of war, The masque episodes pointing out that people who live on the fringes of the Federation do not have this paradise life, religion vs Science in the form of the Prophets, and racism in the great episode Far beyond the Stars with Bennie Sisko.

And I think this show had more character evolution then any other show. Kira going from being angry all the time to just mildly pissed off, watching Jake and Nog grow up and become the men they are, Though I liked nog's story more as he grew a lot more as a character then Jake I think. Sisko going from hating the Emissary to embracing the role.

it is by far not only the best Star Terk but did a much better job at handling issues then the others.
    DS9 often felt like the only one to really make a supposedly capitalism-free society seem genuinely interesting and workable even though Roddenberry had made far more “preachy” episodes elsewhere and even though DS9 pointed out the problems with it a few times as well.

Nog praising the Federation for being able to give Rohm a better purpose and sense of self-worth than the Ferengi did made a powerfully blunt statement about the pitfalls of capitalism better than a hundred of Rodenberr’s early TNG attempts to just have straw men get castigated by Picard.

And I say that as a pragmatic capitalist!
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

So...personally, I felt the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame lost whatever credibility it had as an institution recognizing a specific genre of music years ago. But these days I'm really curious as to how certain artists get nominated and who does the voting. Some of the choices just seem really arbitrary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    So...personally, I felt the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame lost whatever credibility it had as an institution recognizing a specific genre of music years ago. But these days I'm really curious as to how certain artists get nominated and who does the voting. Some of the choices just seem really arbitrary to me.
    To be honest it should just be called the Music Hall and Fame. You cant call it the Rock and Roll Hall of fame and have Chet Atkins, Bob Willis and the Texas playboys, LL Cool J, NWA, and 2Pac in there. I mean Hell in what world are the Bee Gees Rock and Roll?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Jan Werner is the ultimate one who decides.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

To be honest it should just be called the Music Hall and Fame. You cant call it the Rock and Roll Hall of fame and have Chet Atkins, Bob Willis and the Texas playboys, LL Cool J, NWA, and 2Pac in there. I mean Hell in what world are the Bee Gees Rock and Roll?
    I don't disagree and it'd probably be better if they called it the Pop Hall of Fame (but then I'd want Sinatra and Doris Day in there). But to the point, I think LL did get nominated but here's the thing...does Cool James consider himself a rock n roll artist?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Jan Werner is the ultimate one who decides.
    Oh, I know he's one of the top dogs and I feel that's part of the problem. Like why is Janet Jackson rock n roll but not Motorhead? Or better yet ( and nothing against Bruce Springstein's wife, but...) why is Patti Scialfa in and not The Runaways?

I miss being younger before the invention of cell phones when hanging with your friends meant that 50 percent of the time you were going to places you thought they were and hoping they were there. The 90's was like one big ass Where's Waldo that always ended at the food court of the mall.

I miss being younger before the invention of cell phones when hanging with your friends meant that 50 percent of the time you were going to places you thought they were and hoping they were there. The 90's was like one big ass Where's Waldo that always ended at the food court of the mall.
    Back then hanging out with one's friends meant just that. Now, there is always one who is spending the entire time on the phone.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

If you were in another country, you didn't expect to get a text or email every day from your friends and family back home. You'd maybe send a postcard or write them a letter every now and then. If it was something urgent, you might pay the cost of a long distance phone call. And if you didn't hear from them for a few months, it was no big deal. You were halfway around the world from them and you were gone.