Page 282 of 288 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286 ... LastLast
Results 4,216 to 4,230 of 4314
  1. #4216
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Perhaps you can clarify your point? My examples and arguments were that while doing research in the sense of educating yourself on the issues of the day or on topics of relevance or interest to you is certainly a good thing to do there is a danger in folks doing so poorly or intentionally seeking false information to avoid inconvenient truths.
    COVID is an on-going thing. To the point that every single day there's new information about it. Moreover, as a result of that, people think it's lying when the experts say something different than what they originally concluded because new evidence has come to light. But, you're also talking about conspiracy theories here, which, by their very nature, have very little actual research behind them. Your point may be tangentially related to my own, but it's more its own separate point because when you do research on it you have to be prepared for new evidence that could change everything you thought you knew about it.

  2. #4217
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That's because Paul was seriously sexually repressed.
    True, but all the Abrahamic religions are pretty misogynistic and homophobic.

  3. #4218
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    12,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Romans, and the Greeks from whom they took many points of philosophy, had a very different view on sexuality than what dominates most of the world today. I suppose I never read anything into Tony Curtis' final line in Spartacus because he fled Olivier's character - in part - because Olivier was beginning to make advances on him (the whole "do you eat oysters or snails" dialog).
    The Snails and Oysters sequence either wasn't in the theatrical release or was cut shortly after (not having been born yet at that time I can't 100% verify what the theatrical run looked like, just that that scene was eliminated like someone purged by Stalin - there was no reference to it when I first saw the film, it plays as if Tony Curtis' character is disturbed by the 'submit to Rome' line). I own a copy of Spartacus and mine makes a note of that scene being restored to the film. Gotta love the censors, and by love I mean tie them to a flogging post....
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 06-17-2021 at 03:32 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

  4. #4219
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The Snails and Oysters sequence either wasn't in the theatrical release or was cut shortly after (not having been born yet at that time I can't 100% verify what the theatrical run looked like, just that that scene was eliminated like someone purged by Stalin - there was no reference to it when I first saw the film, it plays as if Tony Curtis' character is disturbed by the 'submit to Rome' line). I own a copy of Spartacus and mine makes a note of that scene being restored to the film. Gotta love the censors, and by love I mean tie them to a flogging post....
    Some years back, TCM ran a original cut version.

  5. #4220
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,485

    Default

    I never got the big love of Venom. OK, interesting villain, with the symbiote Spidey costume, but he virtually took over the Spider-Man books from Marvel for a time. I don't get the hype. Then again, I don't get how big The Joker has become and I never got the appeal of Lobo.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  6. #4221
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    It's more scary when people don't give you the chance to defend yourself during an otherwise reasonable discussion, than it is when the discussion is just a full blown argument from the start.

  7. #4222
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It's more scary when people don't give you the chance to defend yourself during an otherwise reasonable discussion, than it is when the discussion is just a full blown argument from the start.
    I didn't come here for a discussion!

    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  8. #4223
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Finally I referenced that the other day and got nothing but blank stares and "whats". You're good.

  9. #4224
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It's more scary when people don't give you the chance to defend yourself during an otherwise reasonable discussion, than it is when the discussion is just a full blown argument from the start.
    Because many people either want to convert you to their side or run you out of town on a rail if you're beyond conversion. That's why I'm always wary to discuss anything serious before I get to know a person first, because I'm getting to old to find myself in a fistfight.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  10. #4225
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    I just find myself in wondering how people get that way. I’ve had great friendships, at least I thought they were great, with people I’ve vehemently disagreed with and I’ve had terrible conversations with other people I disagree with. The difference always seems to be taking the time to understand where the opposition is coming from.

  11. #4226
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Because many people either want to convert you to their side or run you out of town on a rail if you're beyond conversion. That's why I'm always wary to discuss anything serious before I get to know a person first, because I'm getting to old to find myself in a fistfight.
    Nah. You're not too old to get in a fistfight. Coming out with all your teeth tho...?

  12. #4227
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,485

    Default

    Why I will take on any young whipper snapper that talks agin me with one arm tied behind me back. Gabnubbit!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  13. #4228
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I never got the big love of Venom. OK, interesting villain, with the symbiote Spidey costume, but he virtually took over the Spider-Man books from Marvel for a time. I don't get the hype. Then again, I don't get how big The Joker has become and I never got the appeal of Lobo.
    People love Evil Counterparts.

  14. #4229
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Why I will take on any young whipper snapper that talks agin me with one arm tied behind me back. Gabnubbit!
    You tell those smart alecks, Kirby.

  15. #4230
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,485

    Default

    And get off my lawn!!!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •