Page 146 of 440 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196246 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 6586
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Nope, JFK's adultery wasn't common knowledge. Neither was FDR's adultery nor LBJ's adultery nor Ike Eisenhower's adultery

Until Bill Clinton … there had not been coverage of any infidelity on the part of a sitting president in the mainstream press. Before then, journalists didn’t report on presidential affairs because they didn’t consider them newsworthy. Even if a president’s affairs were well-known to his friends, staffers, and journalists, the public didn’t learn about them until after the president was out of office, most of the time after the president was long dead.

John F. Kennedy had extramarital affairs before he ran for the presidency of the United States. If the media had exposed JFK's infidelity, JFK would have lost the election, since most Americans in 1960 strongly cherished their family values. Of course there were some men who cheated on their wives, including both of Bill Clinton's biological father and stepfather in the 1940's. Clinton either inherited William Jefferson Blythe's infidelity or learned it from Roger Clinton. Like father, like son.

What American in 1963 doubts the incorruptibility and trustworthiness of the president of the United States, who was supposedly the most honorable person in America?

Just because the POTUS is elected by the American people, doesn't mean you should trust him with whatever secrets you are keeping to yourself. Nor should you trust the POTUS to not sell his country.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Right, but your original post was questioning why Superman would trust JFK since he was an adulterer. Not why would Superman trust JFK simply because he's president.

If it is just because he cheated on his wife, as per your post, well I assume Superman didn't know that if the rest of the country didn't either, so no blame to throw on Superman there.
    One other element to the discussion, philandery and confidence keeping are not necessarily opposite ends of a continuum. People are not universally bad or good, and they sometimes perceive different rules for different parts of their lives. Even if, with his vast sensory powers, Superman was aware of Kennedy's wandering eye, that does not necessarily mean that JFK was devoid of other behaviors that might have inspired Superman's trust.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    One other element to the discussion, philandery and confidence keeping are not necessarily opposite ends of a continuum. People are not universally bad or good, and they sometimes perceive different rules for different parts of their lives. Even if, with his vast sensory powers, Superman was aware of Kennedy's wandering eye, that does not necessarily mean that JFK was devoid of other behaviors that might have inspired Superman's trust.
    True, although the amount of time we've spent analyzing this is stupid.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    True, although the amount of time we've spent analyzing this is stupid.
    Are you new around here? That's what we DO!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Absolutely, Dalak. I personally know I, consciously or subconsciously, utilize it all of the time.
    Yeah, even driving a car involves it as you guess how long it will take you to make a turn and compare it to how much time you guess you have to make it.

Advanced math like Trig and Calculus doesn't seem necessary in average life, but Algebra is everywhere.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Intersectionality always get preached about on twitter, especially among black twitter peeps. But when it comes to intersectionality in practice black people tend to treat it as a one way street at best. While other black folks flat out don't believe in it at worse. There's a certain kinda cynical pragmatism in play. Like when other POC ask for solidarity in regard to Native Americans and the pipeline, deportations of POC (even other black people), and foreign policy stuff black people would just kinda shrug or stay silent. Especially when some of this stuff was under Obama, and people would get defensive if you criticised him over it.

Truth of the matter is that black twitter isn't a accurate representation of us black Americans as a whole. When it comes to politics black people in general appear to be more dangerously pragmatic and kinda timid to be frank. In fact I remember young white people warming up to Obama faster than black people did. As it was mentioned before black people would complain about the system and establishment but would never actually support a politician who would challenge it. Instead hedging their bets on "electability", or "familiarity" with some status quo safe candidate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Algebra as a required course in high school is a waste of time. Only 20% of the population actually uses algebra in daily life. Better to let students choose a course like philosophy, civics, home economicss. Algebra is just a gatekeeper to college.
    I agree with the the couple of posters who said algebra actually is useful, even if most people don’t realize it, but I do agree that home economics should get more push. It wasn’t called home economics in my school and turned my nose up at it. Why would I want to learn about cooking and sewing like a 50’s housewife? Well, turns out cooking and sewing are remarkably useful life skills, no matter what your job/career is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Yeah, even driving a car involves it as you guess how long it will take you to make a turn and compare it to how much time you guess you have to make it.

Advanced math like Trig and Calculus doesn't seem necessary in average life, but Algebra is everywhere.
    Algebra on its own serves very simple purposes. Learning to set up and solve an equation for x comes in handy many times a day for the vast majority of us. Very few of us deal with using root and exponents or factoring those equations, though. Hence, the belief lives.

But the truth is that Algebra teaches us to solve problems in a set quantitative fashion. Most of what is done in the basic two years of Algebra is to learn how to break a problem down into a series of smaller problems solvable by basic arithmetic operations. I use the "wax on, wax off" sequence in Karate KId as an example. It's a skill developed that can be utilized other places.

Algebra is a course dealing with detail. Geometry works the imagination. Calculus combines the two, but really only has a few concepts easily transferable to common life. Basically rates of chnage (derivatives) and speed of rates of change (double derivatives). We need math.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I agree with the the couple of posters who said algebra actually is useful, even if most people don’t realize it, but I do agree that home economics should get more push. It wasn’t called home economics in my school and turned my nose up at it. Why would I want to learn about cooking and sewing like a 50’s housewife? Well, turns out cooking and sewing are remarkably useful life skills, no matter what your job/career is.
    I was the Sheldon Cooper of my HS class. It was how I introduced myself to family of classmates at reunions and my classmates would nod in agreement. As a result, I was down on classes like home ec and shop. But as I grew up, I realized that there are huge advantages to teaching life skills to kids who frankly, are idiots. And yes, I inc;lude even my generation in that description. Throw in a need for art and music education as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Algebra on its own serves very simple purposes. Learning to set up and solve an equation for x comes in handy many times a day for the vast majority of us. Very few of us deal with using root and exponents or factoring those equations, though. Hence, the belief lives.

But the truth is that Algebra teaches us to solve problems in a set quantitative fashion. Most of what is done in the basic two years of Algebra is to learn how to break a problem down into a series of smaller problems solvable by basic arithmetic operations. I use the "wax on, wax off" sequence in Karate KId as an example. It's a skill developed that can be utilized other places.

Algebra is a course dealing with detail. Geometry works the imagination. Calculus combines the two, but really only has a few concepts easily transferable to common life. Basically rates of chnage (derivatives) and speed of rates of change (double derivatives). We need math.
    Agreed. I hadn't realized until long after I was out of school and my own kids were taking Algebra that it wasn't necessarily the equations themselves (although, students are expected to understand how they work) that is being taught, but more importantly, patience, discipline of thought and proper problem-solving skills in general.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

The idea that the only things that should be taught in school is what most people would practically use in their adult life is not only bullsh*t, but damaging. Education should open up people to many areas they might not use later.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Intersectionality always get preached about on twitter, especially among black twitter peeps. But when it comes to intersectionality in practice black people tend to treat it as a one way street at best. While other black folks flat out don't believe in it at worse. There's a certain kinda cynical pragmatism in play. Like when other POC ask for solidarity in regard to Native Americans and the pipeline, deportations of POC (even other black people), and foreign policy stuff black people would just kinda shrug or stay silent. Especially when some of this stuff was under Obama, and people would get defensive if you criticised him over it.

Truth of the matter is that black twitter isn't a accurate representation of us black Americans as a whole. When it comes to politics black people in general appear to be more dangerously pragmatic and kinda timid to be frank. In fact I remember young white people warming up to Obama faster than black people did. As it was mentioned before black people would complain about the system and establishment but would never actually support a politician who would challenge it. Instead hedging their bets on "electability", or "familiarity" with some status quo safe candidate.
    A lot of black folks are in reality pretty conservative despite the fact that most of us tend to vote Democratic. Many of us would rather vote for a stasis quo establishment Dem than take a chance on some one they don't know. That's why a number of us were slow to warm up to Obama until after he did well in the primaries. And I hate to say it, but some of us are just as close minded on other people's struggles as some Trump supporters. I've seen things online where some black people have claimed that the Smollett thing happened because him being gay messed up his mind!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    A lot of black folks are in reality pretty conservative despite the fact that most of us tend to vote Democratic. Many of us would rather vote for a stasis quo establishment Dem than take a chance on some one they don't know. That's why a number of us were slow to warm up to Obama until after he did well in the primaries. And I hate to say it, but some of us are just as close minded on other people's struggles as some Trump supporters. I've seen things online where some black people have claimed that the Smollett thing happened because him being gay messed up his mind!
    Iirc the Black community does have a homophobia issue which in turn causes STIs to increase since Gay Black Men are forced into smaller pools of potential partners and thus the risk increases.

Mighty Member

The pentagon and wall street find algebra very practical.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    The pentagon and wall street find algebra very practical.
    As does NASA and MIT.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Damn, took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to say the same thing. Especially about Jussie. The only time black folks and right-wingers seems to see eye to eye is when it relates to hating LGBT people. It's depressing really.