Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150
Results 2,236 to 2,240 of 2240
  1. #2236
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I disagree. If you've ever needed to make a serious budget, plan the supplies out for a party, adjust cooking recipes, or dozens of other things then you've used Algebra in your daily life.
    Absolutely, Dalak. I personally know I, consciously or subconsciously, utilize it all of the time.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  2. #2237
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    I wouldn't entrust it with any politician, but speaking to the JFK thing specfically, and I don't know the answer, but---at the time those panels were printed, was JFK's adultery common knowledge? If yes, then agreed. If no, then no big deal.

    .
    Nope, JFK's adultery wasn't common knowledge. Neither was FDR's adultery nor LBJ's adultery nor Ike Eisenhower's adultery

    Until Bill Clinton Ö there had not been coverage of any infidelity on the part of a sitting president in the mainstream press. Before then, journalists didnít report on presidential affairs because they didnít consider them newsworthy. Even if a presidentís affairs were well-known to his friends, staffers, and journalists, the public didnít learn about them until after the president was out of office, most of the time after the president was long dead.

    John F. Kennedy had extramarital affairs before he ran for the presidency of the United States. If the media had exposed JFK's infidelity, JFK would have lost the election, since most Americans in 1960 strongly cherished their family values. Of course there were some men who cheated on their wives, including both of Bill Clinton's biological father and stepfather in the 1940's. Clinton either inherited William Jefferson Blythe's infidelity or learned it from Roger Clinton. Like father, like son.

    What American in 1963 doubts the incorruptibility and trustworthiness of the president of the United States, who was supposedly the most honorable person in America?

    Just because the POTUS is elected by the American people, doesn't mean you should trust him with whatever secrets you are keeping to yourself. Nor should you trust the POTUS to not sell his country.

  3. #2238
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    What American in 1963 doubts the incorruptibility and trustworthiness of the president of the United States, who was supposedly the most honorable person in America?

    Just because the POTUS is elected by the American people, doesn't mean you should trust him with whatever secrets you are keeping to yourself. Nor should you trust the POTUS to not sell his country.
    Right, but your original post was questioning why Superman would trust JFK since he was an adulterer. Not why would Superman trust JFK simply because he's president.

    If it is just because he cheated on his wife, as per your post, well I assume Superman didn't know that if the rest of the country didn't either, so no blame to throw on Superman there.

  4. #2239
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Nope, JFK's adultery wasn't common knowledge. Neither was FDR's adultery nor LBJ's adultery nor Ike Eisenhower's adultery

    Until Bill Clinton Ö there had not been coverage of any infidelity on the part of a sitting president in the mainstream press. Before then, journalists didnít report on presidential affairs because they didnít consider them newsworthy. Even if a presidentís affairs were well-known to his friends, staffers, and journalists, the public didnít learn about them until after the president was out of office, most of the time after the president was long dead.

    John F. Kennedy had extramarital affairs before he ran for the presidency of the United States. If the media had exposed JFK's infidelity, JFK would have lost the election, since most Americans in 1960 strongly cherished their family values. Of course there were some men who cheated on their wives, including both of Bill Clinton's biological father and stepfather in the 1940's. Clinton either inherited William Jefferson Blythe's infidelity or learned it from Roger Clinton. Like father, like son.

    What American in 1963 doubts the incorruptibility and trustworthiness of the president of the United States, who was supposedly the most honorable person in America?

    Just because the POTUS is elected by the American people, doesn't mean you should trust him with whatever secrets you are keeping to yourself. Nor should you trust the POTUS to not sell his country.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Right, but your original post was questioning why Superman would trust JFK since he was an adulterer. Not why would Superman trust JFK simply because he's president.

    If it is just because he cheated on his wife, as per your post, well I assume Superman didn't know that if the rest of the country didn't either, so no blame to throw on Superman there.
    One other element to the discussion, philandery and confidence keeping are not necessarily opposite ends of a continuum. People are not universally bad or good, and they sometimes perceive different rules for different parts of their lives. Even if, with his vast sensory powers, Superman was aware of Kennedy's wandering eye, that does not necessarily mean that JFK was devoid of other behaviors that might have inspired Superman's trust.

  5. #2240
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    One other element to the discussion, philandery and confidence keeping are not necessarily opposite ends of a continuum. People are not universally bad or good, and they sometimes perceive different rules for different parts of their lives. Even if, with his vast sensory powers, Superman was aware of Kennedy's wandering eye, that does not necessarily mean that JFK was devoid of other behaviors that might have inspired Superman's trust.
    True, although the amount of time we've spent analyzing this is stupid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •