Page 320 of 440 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330370420 ... LastLast
Results 4,786 to 4,800 of 6586
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I think a lot of the criticism comes from our (USA) claims of freedom. Those other nations make no such claims of freedom and openness.
    Except what is said or inferred is that the US is the most prudish country in the world without any qualifications, which is obviously not remotely true.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Y'know, I don't remember ever having "old fashioned TV dinners" when I was younger (back in the late 1960s/1970s), though I think my Dad sometimes had them.
    Then again, during the week, my Mom served dinner to us kids well before my Dad typically got home from work. She'd usually have her dinner with him when he came home, but she wouldn't always wait if he worked later than normal or if she had to be somewhere that night.
    I think my brothers and I might have an old-style TV dinner once or twice back in the '70s, but my father had quite a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Except what is said or inferred is that the US is the most prudish country in the world without any qualifications, which is obviously not remotely true.
    I thought we were comparing it to Europe and Japan?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought we were comparing it to Europe and Japan?
    We are, but not everybody else is doing that out there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The South has been a drag on this country since it's inception, and remains so to this day. The South has been the main impediment to progress throughout our History.
    I'd argue the atrocity of slavery and its legacy and the harm and radicalization it has caused keep the south from reaching their potential. Most examples of southern culture (particularly white southern culture) get thrown in with that because it's so overwhelming that it's hard to see past it. There has been historically a bit of divide between many southerners rejecting mainstream/"coastal"/Hollywood culture and those same areas rejecting theirs. I do think it's an accident of geography though, and if the northern areas were more suited to farmland and the south more resembled the north or southwest it would have been those areas dragging the country back and pining for some mythical "lost cause". With demographic, religious, and general culture shifts I think we'll see and to some extent are seeing progress in the south.

I believe I fully explained my view, which was not what you describe here, and I see nobody making the claim that the US is the "most prudish". Just moreso than many developed nations, especially European ones. We each have our flaws. Europe hasn't had to deal as much with racial issues as they've been largely self-segregated with small minority populations. Now with the millions fleeing violence in the middle east we're seeing them have the same issues (and embracing right-wing and even fascist politicians because of it). Japan has issues with gender equality, and the heavier sexualization doesn't help that.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I believe I fully explained my view, which was not what you describe here, and I see nobody making the claim that the US is the "most prudish".
    I didn't charge you or anybody else here on this thread with saying that, so I'm confused regarding your post. My point, again, is about what is said in other mediums. It's one thing to say the US is the most prudish country in the free world (okay, that may very well be true) than the US being the most prudish in the world (not even close). Now many of us here know the difference without an explanation, but not everybody does. That's why we have "Caution: Contents Hot" on coffee cups now.

. . . Now many of us here know the difference without an explanation, but not everybody does. That's why we have "Caution: Contents Hot" on coffee cups now.
    And those warnings aren't necessarily there because people don't know better but to avoid silly lawsuits from people who SHOULD know better but do something dumb anyway.

How many WARNING labels do companies have to put on step-ladders these days?

And those warnings aren't necessarily there because people don't know better but to avoid silly lawsuits from people who SHOULD know better but do something dumb anyway.

Heh. It's really ridiculous, Major. They should add this to all of these warnings: FOR THE SLOW ONES OUT THERE.

However, sometimes the way those lawsuits get portrayed by the media warps everything out of proportion with what is really happening.

The TL/DR version.

The McDonald's case started because the plaintiff only wanted her medical bills paid - the jury awarded her the massive sum on their own based on McDonald's behavior prior to, and in court.

The Aunt who sued her own nephew was because insurance can't be sued directly in her state - she needed a judgement to get her medical bills paid, and the family went public stating that they understood (and are still close).

There are a couple of others in the video, but those are the two most recent/still famous cases he covers.
    Dark does not mean deep.

This may have been said before, perhaps even by me, but I feel like calling things "unoriginal" because they're a remake/reboot/etc of an old idea is so patently wrong I can't believe it gets repeated so often. It's obviously not the most creative thing out there, but you can find traces of older work in every single thing if you want to go down that road. It's a bad mindset to have and it puts down good work without even giving it a chance.

Mighty Member

Tyrannosaurus Rex should be canceled; children should only learn about gentle herbivores.

Extraordinary Member

Aren't the Valar kind of jerks? I mean they dealt with Morgoth all right, but after maybe a cursory look, it was like "Sauron who?". I mean they knew the guy was big trouble with no more Hound of the Valar, and the Eagles apparently unwilling to up and mess him up like they did with Morgoth. I mean, how hard could it be for the combined might of the Valar take to find a Maiar if they really wanted to. Also...he's one of their guys, busy killing everyone he didn't like, which was everyone. Isn't he sort of their responsibility, apart from sending a bunch of much weaker versions of Sauron to...not even fight him directly.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    . . . I mean they knew the guy was big trouble with no more Hound of the Valar, and the Eagles apparently unwilling to up and mess him up like they did with Morgoth. . .
    What do Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Don Felder, etc. have to do with Morgoths?

Invincible Member

My favorite current one is in a TV commercial for some security company featuring bumbling burglar. At one point the character trips and falls down a flight of stairs. If you pay attention the warning appears for a quick moment and says something like, "Please do not attempt. This is just a dummy we threw down the stairs."

Invincible Member

Who's picking the names for these Covid mutations? We had "The Delta Variant" which sounds like a spy movie. Now we have "Omicron" which could be sci-fi movie or a silver/bronze age comic book gizmo. "At last my Omicron Device is perfected and I will use it to rule the world! HAHA HA!"