Page 305 of 439 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355405 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 6582

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think critics are useful. Not to determine what you think about a picture, but to help if it is worth seeing. There are so many new movies streaming, it is helpful to see if most reviewers say it sucks big time that maybe it isn't worth your 2 hours. The critics shouldn't determine what you think about a movie after seeing it.
    To be honest I never pay attention to the critics. What makes their opinion of a movie so much better then anyone elses? I will see a trailer or read about a movie and if it looks good I will see it. If it sucks thats on me to make that call. There have been a lot of movies I enjoyed that the critics said to stay away from. Same with tv shows, books, comics, music etc... If a critic says a movie is bad why would you let that keep you from watching it? I know my sister wanted to see a movie but a critic said it was bad so she didnt. Years later she watched it and loved it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    To be honest I never pay attention to the critics. What makes their opinion of a movie so much better then anyone elses? I will see a trailer or read about a movie and if it looks good I will see it. If it sucks thats on me to make that call. There have been a lot of movies I enjoyed that the critics said to stay away from. Same with tv shows, books, comics, music etc... If a critic says a movie is bad why would you let that keep you from watching it? I know my sister wanted to see a movie but a critic said it was bad so she didnt. Years later she watched it and loved it.
    I am not talking about "a critic", I am talking about the conglomerate of many critics. And I am not talking about movies that are 50/50. But if almost every critic and poster of a review says it sucks, it is a good chance it sucks. The other value of critics is that most are raving about a movie I wasn't thinking about, I might see a movie I wouldn't necessarily have.
    I NEVER watch trailers, EVERY trailer gives away too much of the movie and usually ruins it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

There's nothing wrong with casual comic fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    There's nothing wrong with casual comic fans.
    Is that really a thing fans rant against? How small and ridiculous can they be?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Is that really a thing fans rant against? How small and ridiculous can they be?
    Go onto most comic forums and ask a perfectly innocent but totally naive question that someone only casually interested in comics might genuinely wonder, and see the hatred that is directed towards you for wasting their bandwidth.

I really don’t think we should take comics, or any media really, as some sort of social commentary or in anyway reflective of the authors’ views. We can talk about it’s portrayal of certain events, but I think there’s just too many different variables in these universes for them to accurately show a real world problem and it’s intricacies.

Retired

If I live to be five hundred, I will never understand why some people think Adam Driver is so handsome.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If I live to be five hundred, I will never understand why some people think Adam Driver is so handsome.
    There actually ARE people like that?!?

Extraordinary Member

I am not talking about "a critic", I am talking about the conglomerate of many critics. And I am not talking about movies that are 50/50. But if almost every critic and poster of a review says it sucks, it is a good chance it sucks. The other value of critics is that most are raving about a movie I wasn't thinking about, I might see a movie I wouldn't necessarily have.
    I NEVER watch trailers, EVERY trailer gives away too much of the movie and usually ruins it.
    I think critics do provide a valuable service of individualized film analysis, and about 66% of an accurate read on how the larger audience will react to a film/show/comic/etc.

But I also think it should be noted that critics also have their “collective tastes formed by some shared variables:

- They tend to be well-read intellectual types, plus a gradually shifting demographic based off sex and race - there’s a reason there’s been commentary on “old white dudes” power in the industry beyond actual production roles.

- By being professionally required to watch *all* media that they review, or at least as much as they can, the collective body of professional critics tends to lean hard into being jaded, desiring knew things, and at times “pretentious.”

I’d blame the first factor for why you sometimes see certain old prejudices linger even when they shouldn’t, but also why you see consensus form quickly between critics - they have the same frames of references.

But the second factor is what I would blame for the sometimes astounding “dissonance” on some films, particularly in popular franchises - Iron Man 3 and The Last Jedi are much closer to being mediocre or even bad films given their context, but because of a combination of mild contempt for the popular nature of their franchises with a hunger for anything new, and spiked by a refusal to consider films as entries in a long-term story unless they have to, both films got much more positive reception from critics… and shouldn’t have, if that makes sense.

Now, using those two films, I'd say both had something that it makes sense critics “should” enjoy - craftsmanship in a technical sense. IM3 and TLJ are both well directed and well acted.

But it’s the story elements where the dissonance creeps up. Critics as a collective are too jaded and uninterested to care about IM3 actually being rather boring and stale, and overvalued the plot twist with Killian/“The Mandarin.” And critics were just plain pathetic in worshipping The Last Jedi for being “new” and “bold” when really, it’s an incredibly regressive, sloppy, and myopic story that screws over all the characters and plotlines for cheap giggles.

In both cases, long term fans weren’t wrong to be disgusted with the films’ missed opportunities or mistakes - and not just because they were hardcore fans, but because they were judging the films as part of a larger story that they understood, and making judgements based off what makes such longer-term stories more engaging.

Like, The Last a Jedi is a wretched and pathetic film when placed in the context of the larger story, and far worse in that respect than any other Star Wars film, but collective critics can’t acknowledge that because they can’t view it as part of a larger story without stumbling into areas of denial for themselves.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

He's fabulously rich & famous. That makes many a man attractive to females hungry for resources.

Who's Adam Driver?

Kylo Ren/Ben Solo from the Star Wars movies would be the best bet at recognition.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Long black hair, pale skin, constantly cast in “artsy” productions where he’s required to act tormented and angsty (which he does well), while also being a tall and surprisingly fit dude.

He’s basically an anime bad boy come to life in most productions.

And to be fair, more dissenting male-attracted individuals will likely find his comedic skill attractive as well.

Less-dissenting ones like The Last Jedi.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

If they ever do a Pink Floyd biopic he'd be a shoe-in to play Roger Waters.

I find Adam Driver attractive I have to say. Not sexy but attractive. Hated him in Star Wars though.

Also on another note. Elf and The Nightmare Before Christmas are two very over rated Christmas movies.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.