Page 199 of 440 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249299 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 6586
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Then what we've done is reduce the stake of most of the voters in preventing wars, and turned the weapons over to an increasingly small caste, who are becoming steadily more susceptible to a charismatic dictator. Just as this isn't the 1940s anymore, it isn't the 1780s either; local militias aren't going to be able to hold their own against an oppressive state as they could 250-odd years ago. Those who think it can't happen here had better hope they don't live long enough to see how wrong they are.
    Well, any party that has the draft as part of their platform is a dead duck come November. Again, the only way it will rise again if there is another world war.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

A party in power can always set aside the results of an election, claiming that it was illegitimate as some malevolent force hacked the vote. A leader not wanting to be pushed out of office could initiate a war. In times of war, they can bring in martial law.

There are lots of governments in the world that are nominally democracies yet are functioning as one party dictatorships.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    With all due respect, national service wouldnt somehow change the idea that military forces could be swayed by a political leader. All you've done is add more bodies to be recruited.

If your so worried about it then follow George Washingtons route and go militia only.
    With commensurate respect, a more diverse organization is going to be more difficult to enthrall than one that is socially, regionally, and ethnically homogeneous. On reflection, I agree with you about swelling the ranks, but the US needs an Army that is more representative of its population than what it's got. Further, I still maintain that the US needs something that will promote interaction between regions, rather than the Balkanization that appears to be happening among us now. Kirby101 suggest civic service, and I agree that something like the New Deal Civil Conservation Corps might be worthwhile. I look at how divided we are, and I can't help suspecting that I may live to see another US Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, any party that has the draft as part of their platform is a dead duck come November. Again, the only way it will rise again if there is another world war.
    No disputing that one.

Your divided because of 3 things.

1. Reconstruction was done badly, you made sure you De-Nazid germany but you didnt De-confederate the south properly. There is a distinct us and them feeling not helped by endless propaganda and bullshit.

2. Your society is currently in the gilded age, where milions toil for corporate masters whom dont give a single **** about them, without even the basics like a universal healthcare system you've got a populace angry and ready to strike out

3. There is a generational shift happening and the Boomers are fighting with everything they've got rather then hand over the reigns.

Boisterously Confused

Your divided because of 3 things.

1. Reconstruction was done badly, you made sure you De-Nazid germany but you didnt De-confederate the south properly. There is a distinct us and them feeling not helped by endless propaganda and bullshit.

2. Your society is currently in the gilded age, where milions toil for corporate masters whom dont give a single **** about them, without even the basics like a universal healthcare system you've got a populace angry and ready to strike out

3. There is a generational shift happening and the Boomers are fighting with everything they've got rather then hand over the reigns.
    You make really good points jetengine. You say "Your [sic] divided...", implying you are not from the US. That in no way invalidates your observation, but context matters. May I ask where you live?

To be clear, I think you're on to something important.

I think jet is British.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Indeed I am, but I keep a close eye on American history and politics because (despite what my countrymen believe) Britain isn't actually a big deal geo politically.

Retired

I'm Canadian and we usually don't think we have an identity. But I think that's a positive, because for many of us diversity has become our identity. I always lived and worked in diverse communities and that's where I feel most comfortable. When I travel to other countries that are less diverse, I get nervous, I feel out of place--and I worry much more that my differences will stand out and make me a target. Sure there are pockets of people in Canada that exclude others, but when I volunteered in school with little kids, they were from diverse backgrounds and their lessons taught them about other cultures--they knew more than me about some world cultures--and they learned tolerance and how to resolve conflicts peacefully. Breaking down barriers between people is the best way to create better and happier citizens.

Every generation says this about the one that follows.

I'm Gen X, the generation to born of the oldest of the boomers, and they were saying this about us too.

Whats interesting to me as someone in that group in viewing the Boomer vs Millenial fight is that I can see valid points on both sides but if I express one of them the other side automatically assumes I'm in the other camp. Sort of like as slightly left leaning libertarian I get cursed out by both democrats and republicans all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How about National Service for things in addition to the Military.
    Finland and some other European countries require all citizens to do up to a year of national service after high school.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Finland and some other European countries require all citizens to do up to a year of national service after high school.
    In Finland (and the other places) it's just men (who are able), though military service varies from 6 months, 9 months and 12 months.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Typically countries that have that level of mandatory military service are both smaller in population and have neighbors that they trust less than the land mass they occupy can be thrown by a small child. Finland has Russia, Switzerland had Germany, and Israel has the rest of the Middle East.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Social media is the 2nd worse invention mankind has ever come up with behind the nuclear bomb. Some people would say the gun, but I can see some positive benefits to firearms(wild animal attack deaths plummeted after the invention of the rifle). Nuclear weapons and social media are two inventions with next to no pros and a whole lot of cons. Cigarettes are in third place.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Social media is the 2nd worse invention mankind has ever come up with behind the nuclear bomb. Some people would say the gun, but I can see some positive benefits to firearms(wild animal attack deaths plummeted after the invention of the rifle). Nuclear weapons and social media are two inventions with next to no pros and a whole lot of cons. Cigarettes are in third place.
    To potentially politely disagree...

I think that chemical weapons might make second place on a good day.

That said, I do get where you are coming from.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    My mother died from lung cancer, so I'd put cigarettes second, MILES ahead of social media. Also ahead of social media:

--chemical weapons
    --guns
    --DDT
    --asbestos
    --GMO's

And that's just off the top of my head.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!