Page 125 of 440 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 6586
    BANNED

Drinking culture is just odd these days, somehow we're all supposed to try and justify our drinking by claiming that there is some other reason we like to do it beyond getting drunk. I mean, is "all my friends drink so I like to drink when I'm with them so I can fit in and not have them judge me" really a better argument that "I just like getting shitfaced"?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Drinking culture is just odd these days, somehow we're all supposed to try and justify our drinking by claiming that there is some other reason we like to do it beyond getting drunk. I mean, is "all my friends drink so I like to drink when I'm with them so I can fit in and not have them judge me" really a better argument that "I just like getting shitfaced"?
    It's not a better argument, but is it really all that new? Peer pressure has been around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's not a better argument, but is it really all that new? Peer pressure has been around forever.
    Well, besides which, if you're drinking to be social, that's understandable -- "just don't over-do it" -- whereas, if you're drinking to get drunk, "you're an alcoholic".

We kind of frown on people just wanting to get wasted. Though personally, I feel like, so long as you can do it without putting yourself or anyone else in any immediate danger, then have fun...

"But, when does it become addiction?" Fair question. But I also think, dealing with addiction societally can be done more effectively if we de-stigmatize that lots of people just enjoy getting shitfaced. You can think people shouldn't want to, but thinking that hasn't ever made it true.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Other than Black...Asian...i.e.non-White....I see no sorta social, cultural, merit in Gay Pride

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Other than Black...Asian...i.e.non-White....I see no sorta social, cultural, merit in Gay Pride
    You see no social merit in Gay people standing up and fighting for their civil rights? Really? And what should their reaction be to systemic discrimination?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You see no social merit in Gay people standing up and fighting for their civil rights? Really? And what should their reaction be to systemic discrimination?
    ohhhhh I meant in the Hoopla that comes with Gay Pride...the parade etc. Deeeeeefinitely not saying sexuality discrimination should go unchecked. I just think "Pride" could be a lil more than a yuppie parade (with NO candy!) And people Traveling across the country to go to different bars...nooot like I'm saying I don't like going to bars....but

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    ohhhhh I meant in the Hoopla that comes with Gay Pride...the parade etc. Deeeeeefinitely not saying sexuality discrimination should go unchecked. I just think "Pride" could be a lil more than a yuppie parade (with NO candy!) And people Traveling across the country to go to different bars...nooot like I'm saying I don't like going to bars....but
    Oh I see. Well, they are celebrating their life style and proclaiming that the have a right to be who they are. Gay Pride Week also brings a lot of $$ to the city. And it's fun. I would rather see the Gay Pride Parade than the boring, homophobic, drunken St Patrick's Day Parade.
    I know gay people that were able to have the courage to be themselves and come out because of Gay Pride. There is still a great deal of homophobia and bigotry toward LBGT in the country, Gay Pride let's a lot of them know they are not alone and it's okay to be who they are.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-20-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Oh I see. Well, they are celebrating their life style and proclaiming that the have a right to be who they are. Gay Pride Week also brings a lot of $$ to the city. And it's fun. I would rather see the Gay Pride Parade than the boring, homophobic, drunken St Patrick's Day Parade.
    I know gay people that were able to have the courage to be themselves and come out because of Gay Pride. There is still a great deal of homophobia and bigotry toward LBGT in the country, Gay Pride let's a lot of them know they are not alone and it's okay to be who they are.
    Yeah I totally think it helps grease the wheels of acceptance but I was in my city's Pride Parade a few days ago and maybe it was cause I was with the political floats but I reeeeally don't get the Hoopla. I don't seem to attract gay dudes...kast 2 times i went out during Pride I wound up leaving some friends of friend party and with a random straight dude ����*♂️����*♂️
    I feel like the people that 'events like Pride' helps the most and almost entirely are sis white dude who are so afraid now they're not the majority that they sort of mold into a majority within the community and celebrate it I'm not knocking it or anything but ultimately I don't think Pride has a big effect on nonwhite queer kids in the suburbs/rural areas. Being my grandpa was FOB Irish I'd probably have a lot more fun at a Pattys Day Parade. Or from the way my Mom tells it Atlantas Black Spring Break ie FreakNic woulda been a fun time. I'm sure it brought just as much money but there's some people who's celebration is more acceptable than others

Invincible Member

Where I live I'd say it's the opposite with Pride Parades. They make it a point to be super inclusive. There's PoC, straight families, flamboyant folks, gay cops have a float, corporations advertising things...

Controversial opinion: While all religion is a holdover from more primitive times - when ancient man had no idea why or to where the sun went away every night and what are all those glowing pinpricks in the terrifying blackness above us and what happens when we die!? - fundamentalist, right wing Christianity is not only just as out-dated as the rest of them, but is a more clear and present danger to the American way of life, the Constitution, and the rule of law than Islamic terrorism, in light of their outsized political influence on a major political party and it's operatives.

This is especially true given how fanatical and proudly ignorant it's adherents are on such topics as race, sexuality, international policy, gender, science, compassion, human decency, Christ's actual teachings...

---

Also, Pride is awesome, but I miss the days of setting fire to police cars and throwing rocks and bottles at the pigs who hate us. It's so sanitary and corporate, now...
    Last edited by zinderel; 10-20-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Controversial opinion: While all religion is a holdover from more primitive times - when ancient man had no idea why or to where the sun went away every night and what are all those glowing pinpricks in the terrifying blackness above us and what happens when we die!? - fundamentalist, right wing Christianity is not only just as out-dated as the rest of them, but is a more clear and present danger to the American way of life, the Constitution, and the rule of law than Islamic terrorism, in light of their outsized political influence on a major political party and it's operatives.
    One can only hope that with time humanity will finally find the wisdom to get rid of those primitive and harmful beliefs.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I wonder why Kopi Luwak is so expensive? I tried it a few times, all from the same brand. It hardly tastes better than any other average coffee I've drunk.
    You may have the same problem that I have with wines, namely, an unsophisticated pallet. I can generally separate bad from mediocre from good, but once it goes above mediocre, I'm not able to distinguish the (allegedly) great from the merely good.

Alternatively, it may be that Kopi Luwak really isn't any better than a lot of other coffees, but they've managed to build a mystique around it.

BANNED

Is anybody ever "living their worst life", and is it uncouth to point it out to them?

Astonishing Member

Lol, I completely understand how you feel. Sometimes I wish I could say, ' I know you're having a really rough time right now, and I want to support you. But could you possibly stop doing really, really stupid stuff if things? Its not helping you, honest.'

Hitchcock is overrated.