Page 377 of 439 FirstFirst ... 277327367373374375376377378379380381387427 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,655 of 6582
    Astonishing Member

I recently found out that bananas are man made. Does anyone know what a natural banana looks like?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

I'm guessing they'd be like the tiny bananas I see at the tropical store. They're sweeter and quite pleasant to eat compared to the usual bananas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I recently found out that bananas are man made. Does anyone know what a natural banana looks like?
    I could be wrong (too lazy to google) but think there are a variety of completely natural bananas but the original banana of choice was so popular and overharvested that they actually became extinct (the banana on which "banana flavor" is based), and we now get a different variety (that may have been cultivated in a way other than its original form, I'm not sure, but not cooked up in a lab whole-cloth). I remember reading about this somewhere, but I read a lot of stuff and confirm a sadly small amount. Banana experts or people not too lazy to google please correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    . . . French Fries nor French Toast are from France.
    Remember when some people got pissed with the French and started calling french fries "Freedom fries"?

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I could be wrong (too lazy to google) but think there are a variety of completely natural bananas but the original banana of choice was so popular and overharvested that they actually became extinct (the banana on which "banana flavor" is based), and we now get a different variety (that may have been cultivated in a way other than its original form, I'm not sure, but not cooked up in a lab whole-cloth). I remember reading about this somewhere, but I read a lot of stuff and confirm a sadly small amount. Banana experts or people not too lazy to google please correct.
    I think that the variety we eat (at least in the US and Canada) is a special hybrid variety grown so that they are seedless. I did some googling, but that's enough for my curiosity. The hybrid nature might explain the initial (for this thread) man made assumption.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Not something harvested into extinction, as overplanted to the point bananas became a monoculture. Then, a fungus showed up nearly wiped out the species. The current banana, the Cavendish, came about because it was resistant to the original fungus. It's believed that the song Yes, We Have No Bananas is about the fungus epidemic as they are close to each other in the timeline, but no one actually remembers (nor remembered to write down) if this is actually true.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

Given my allergy to bananas, even writing about them can make me feel ill, but I did do botany as one of my sciences in university. All plants have a wild variety from which they were cultivated. Some of those might have gone extinct but in the case of bananas there are still wild bananas in existence. Of course, they don't taste good. But botanists go looking for the wild source of the plant which can be used to reintroduce vigour and genetic diversity to the domesticated version of the plant.

For my botany course, I did my term paper on the search for corn's original source--which is still a matter of some debate. In my paper I discussed teosinte, which may have been cultivated by humans until it became corn (maize).

Yes, but it would be NSFW.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes, but it would be NSFW.
    The hero we dont deserve on CBR! But the hero we need
    Last edited by babyblob; 06-23-2022 at 10:35 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Th hero we dont deserve on CBR! But the hero we need
    Thanks. I'll be here all week, Try the Prime Rib.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Most effective way to save an endangered animal is to make them pets or domesticated somehow. There are a lot of animals that are endangered these days. You know what animals aren’t endangered? Cows, dogs, cats and rats. In short any animal that can be adapted( either naturally or through the process of domestication) to a world where humans exist. That why I believe in responsible animal ownership.

But is an animal that is domesticated or only in captivity still that animal?

Boisterously Confused

You now have me looking over both shoulders wondering what else The Celestials have modified.

This reminds me of an idiotic Creationist argument that the Banana proves Intelligent (i.e., God) design because the banana fits the human hand so well. Not checking that it was developed that way.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ray-c...ment_n_4847082

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Most effective way to save an endangered animal is to make them pets or domesticated somehow. There are a lot of animals that are endangered these days. You know what animals aren’t endangered? Cows, dogs, cats and rats. In short any animal that can be adapted( either naturally or through the process of domestication) to a world where humans exist. That why I believe in responsible animal ownership.
    The Colbert Report did a gag segment on why animals needed to develop the survival strategy of being very tasty - it's worked wonders for the chicken.
    Dark does not mean deep.