Page 252 of 440 FirstFirst ... 152202242248249250251252253254255256262302352 ... LastLast
Results 3,766 to 3,780 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I always hear street smarts and book smarts used as mutual exclusives. But I am not sure I agree with that.
    I think a large portion of New Yorkers are well educated. But most are also street savvy. Probably the same in places like Chicago and San Francisco.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I've been tempted to blow up the Earth as well, but no AI can reach that conclusion without it being programmed at some point in time, and what d*mb*ss thought that would be a good idea to add to an AI?!
    In many of the stories, it is created by the military. That would account for it's destructive tendencies.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I've been tempted to blow up the Earth as well, but no AI can reach that conclusion without it being programmed at some point in time, and what d*mb*ss thought that would be a good idea to add to an AI?!
    My friend for a paper in High School said in theory that it would be possible to cause some sort of chemical chain reaction in the sun that would destroy the solar system. Said it could be done for 100 Billion dollars. Of course this was 1996 money. I am sure it would be more now.

I asked him what the point of that was. because he would die as well. he said he got a kick out of knowing it was possible and if he ever needed cash he would sell these plans to a super villain or something.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My friend for a paper in High School said in theory that it would be possible to cause some sort of chemical chain reaction in the sun that would destroy the solar system. Said it could be done for 100 Billion dollars. Of course this was 1996 money. I am sure it would be more now.

I asked him what the point of that was. because he would die as well. he said he got a kick out of knowing it was possible and if he ever needed cash he would sell these plans to a super villain or something.
    Considering the huge thermodynamic system that is the Sun, I think we can all continue sleeping easily. The humanity will probably first make of our planet an oven before our dear star dies.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Homo Sapien has been around for only 250,000 years or so. An incredibly short time in terms of species. We could very possibly destroy ourselves in the next few centuries. That would be one of the biggest evolutionary failures in the history of the Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The Following on Fox was the dumbest crime drama ever. And it hurts to say that because I have loved Kevin Bacon since he danced his angry little heart out in Footloose.
    Perfect example of a show that should have been a one and done series. I really liked the first season but the bad guy was so good that they had to force the plot to keep him involved in following seasons. I don't think I ever actually watched the last season as the quality had declined so much.

BANNED

I believe this is what I have been looking to attempt and not only adequately understand but also define, I don't know how liberalism could somehow be simultaneously "fascist" but yet it seems to be the case. I thought that maybe perhaps it was a threat what Ronald Reagan said that, in response the liberals would usher in and bring about fascism for pretty obvious reasons like their disregard for nationalism, and seeming fondness for immigration and outsourcing, but I don't know if that is adequately the case, you have this weird amalgamation of things, it's like whatever you vote for, you get the same in group which it seems roughly liberal I guess. I guess I wouldn't call Donald Trump a liberal but he doesn't seem all that removed from this established order of things and likewise you hear how he often hires immigrant workers for his hotels or resorts (whatever they are) I was even surprised by my encounters with some of the Germans, many of them were quite liberal as well, which was really peculiar and confusing to me for a long time. "wow the Germans seem quite liberal these days or something" it feels like the British are largely the only ones who aren't like super liberal anymore, how strange and ironic.

Last edited by RisingForce; 02-17-2021 at 01:30 AM.

Invincible Member

It's interesting to see certain folks defend the "cancelling" of Gina Carano, but these same folks aren't concerned about the "cancelling" of Joss Whedon...

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    I believe this is what I have been looking to attempt and not only adequately understand but also define, I don't know how liberalism could somehow be simultaneously "fascist" but yet it seems to be the case. I thought that maybe perhaps it was a threat what Ronald Reagan said that, in response the liberals would usher in and bring about fascism for pretty obvious reasons like their disregard for nationalism, and seeming fondness for immigration and outsourcing, but I don't know if that is adequately the case, you have this weird amalgamation of things, it's like whatever you vote for, you get the same in group which it seems roughly liberal I guess. I guess I wouldn't call Donald Trump a liberal but he doesn't seem all that removed from this established order of things and likewise you hear how he often hires immigrant workers for his hotels or resorts (whatever they are) I was even surprised by my encounters with some of the Germans, many of them were quite liberal as well, which was really peculiar and confusing to me for a long time. "wow the Germans seem quite liberal these days or something" it feels like the British are largely the only ones who aren't like super liberal anymore, how strange and ironic.

This is all bullshit by people who lie for a living. Trump was not a liberal President by any standard. Where you get the idea that the liberals are Fascists in this country when we just escape the closest thing to fascism in this country we have seen in generations and it was from the right wing "conservative" Party. Jonah Goldberg? You have got to be kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's interesting to see certain folks defend the "cancelling" of Gina Carano, but these same folks aren't concerned about the "cancelling" of Joss Whedon...
    FWIW, Whedon is probably the most clear case yet for me, where there would be that troubling need to separate the artist from their work. I don't know Joss, so he could be the most evilest douchebag ever. But he created a lot of stuff that I really liked, especially the Buffyverse (not solely him, but the heart of it). It makes it kind of hard to say The Guy Should Go Away Forever.

Note, I'm not saying he shouldn't. Just saying, this might be why you don't see the whole tidal wave of people getting on board.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

I don't know if that is true, or they are the "same folks". With Whedon I see a lot of conversation about what really went on, since it is a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't know if that is true, or they are the "same folks". With Whedon I see a lot of conversation about what really went on, since it is a lot of behind the scenes stuff.
    That too, about it being behind the scenes. I still don't know exactly what Ray Fisher is saying that Whedon did to him, besides being a huge jerk, in general. I will say, as I've mentioned being a fan of the Buffyverse, that I always was rather bothered with how he seemed to approach black characters. They were non-existent or killed off quickly, then the one regular character introduced in Angel -- had to be literally a street kid who had been in a gang, prior to becoming a regular part of the cast. I think J. August Richards ultimately did great in the role, but it is not the best look, that his character needed to be so stereotypical. It does suggest Joss might have an issue or two, with regards to race.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post

It’s the GOP playing victim when they’re the worst offenders. It gives their deplorable supporters something to be outraged about which keeps them engaged and motivated to vote.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Funny thing about aging: when you're little, a year seems like a very long time, but progressively "shortens" a bit every new year. Yet, the past seems just as distant now as it did when I was a child. For example, the '50s seem just as far away today as they did when I was a kid during the '70s. I wonder if Einstein's theory of relativity somehow applies here.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I'm happy to be seeing more mixed race families in TV commercials. Especially black female/white male couples.
    Heh. There are so many of them on commercials today that a company might be deemed racist in the future if they highlight a same-sex couple instead.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?